Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
BTooze
BTooze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
How to display metadata

Can someone explain how to display the metadata on the Kindle 3.

If I chose a book and press the 4-way right arrow I get the cover, author and some other options. What I cannot get is the summary of the book even though I have checked that it is in the metadata.

Now that I have loaded over 30 books onto my new device, it would be nice to view this information (similar to reading the back cover of a paper book) in order to decide which book to read next.

Regards,

Brian
BTooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Currently the Kindle does not display in any way the contents of the "description" metadata field. The most they'll allow you to do is look up the book's info by connecting to the Kindle store, and only for books you've gotten from Amazon.

Myself, I cut and paste the descriptions into a text file which I load up on my Kindle, but I'm lazy about updating it. Other people use Calibre to autogenerate a similar separate catalogue listing.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The Amazon store doesn't populate the description field so I guess thats why they didn't bother to display it.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Stevo
Stevo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3!!!
it would've been the greatest thing in the world to have this feature on the K3...
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Other people use Calibre to autogenerate a similar separate catalogue listing.
Use Calibre to create a catalog of all of your books.

In Calibre, click the down arrow on top, next to the Convert button and choose "Create catalog of books in your Calibre library" On the page that opens, pick the format you want (mobi for Kindle), then click the e-book options tab, uncheck "Include 'Recently Added' Section", then click OK. This will generate a "book" called my books in the .mobi format that you can put on your Kindle. It will contain just about all of the meta data including the summary that you are looking for.

You can play around a little with the other check boxes and the other options to get it the way you want it. I think this should get you everything you are looking for and put it all into one section so you don't have to thumb through all the books.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
In Calibre, when converting a book, under Structure Detection, there is a check box for 'Insert metadata as page at start of book'

If you check this off, it will insert the description (and whatever other metadata you have entered) as the first page of the book (after the cover). I do this and find it very handy.

As mentioned, creating a catalog is also an option.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 AM   #7
Raheldm
Raheldm began at the beginning.

Device: hopefully soon
I just got my Kindle. YAY and I hoped that I could use the book description. Sad that it doesn't work.
Raheldm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Given that any sensible shopper would download the sample before actually buying the book, I just tried a new device for the front of the book: Preview. It consists of three Kindle pages from an exciting scene midway in the story. Not quite what you ask, to be sure, but what would you think of authors' putting the product description (with a sexier name) up front in just that fashion?
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote