Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
HTC EVO Android phone

I got my new HTC EVO from the man in the brown truck Thursday, and I'm amazed at what a great reader this thing is. The first app I loaded was FBReader, which was my favorite reader on my old Android (Samsung Moment) phone. I transferred all my books from the Moment, set up my preferences and started reading.

Wow! The bigger (4.3") screen made such a difference. With the font size set to a comfortable size for my ancient eyeballs, I can get 25% more words on the screen; making for many fewer finger flicks. I haven't counted the characters, but it seems like it displays well over half of the number of characters as a standard paperback.

I haven't had it long enough to judge battery life yet, but first impressions are that it is slightly less than the Moment. But then I had 4G, Bluetooth, GPS, default screen brightness, active wallpaper, etc. etc. all turned on. When I get it tweaked for better endurance it should be better.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are there any good apps for Android for ePub?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Wow! The bigger (4.3") screen made such a difference. With the font size set to a comfortable size for my ancient eyeballs, I can get 25% more words on the screen; making for many fewer finger flicks. I haven't counted the characters, but it seems like it displays well over half of the number of characters as a standard paperback.
I've been eyeing the EVO, just can't decide if I want to spend the cash or not. It sounds great. If you want to try the Kobo Android beta on it PM me and I'll give you the link they emailed me (I'm not impressed, but others might like it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are there any good apps for Android for ePub?
FBReaderJ
Aldiko

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-12-2010 at 03:31 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I just bought an EVO, and posted a report on my experiments with FBReader here. I've downloaded Aldiko, but haven't done more than open the app up. My impression is that you can't import outside files into it, but are limited to their designated library of public domain books and a few paid publishers they have in their store. I haven't tried this and confirmed it, so get more verification before depending on my statement.

Incidentally, I love my EVO!
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
I've downloaded Aldiko, but haven't done more than open the app up. My impression is that you can't import outside files into it, but are limited to their designated library of public domain books and a few paid publishers they have in their store. I haven't tried this and confirmed it, so get more verification before depending on my statement.
FYI, you can import any DRM free ePub you want to Aldiko.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
jleliekelly
i'm getting there.
jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-600, MOTOROLA PHOTON & Toshiba Thrive
I've been eyeing the EVO, just can't decide if I want to spend the cash or not. It sounds great. If you want to try the Kobo Android beta on it PM me and I'll give you the link they emailed me (I'm not impressed, but others might like it).

I love my evo, I think its well worth the money! Not my first android but def my favorite
jleliekelly is offline   Reply With Quote