Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
Arek_W
Connoisseur
Arek_W began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, ASUS N636
Does your Reader helps meeting new people in real life?

I was flying from Brussels this week back home, and had a stop over in Munich. So as mainly use my Sony during travel, sat down, had a beer & started reading. 15 minutes later a chap with what came up a to be a Cybook sat down next to me, drinking and reading as well. We looked curiously at each other, and of course started talking about Readers. Than friend of his came up with the beer nad pulled out his PRS-500. We almost ended up exchanging our SD-cards .
After 2 hours talking of our experiences, books we have, formatting, blah, blah (and few more beers than expected so had to get a nap on the plane) I ended up knowing interesting people who did not know about this forum (they know now) & came to conclusion that Reader became a social tool. I guess in the EU Readers are not very popular as yet as they are in the US? How is it there? Anyone with similar experiance
Arek_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
In my experience, not quite as good as a cute puppy. But close.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What a lovely story! I hope you will encourage your new friends to introduce themselves.

Anytime I whip mine out, it gets stares and some questions. However, I'm in a literacy-challenged region of the country, and there isn't quite as dense a population of book lovers. Usually peoples' eye glaze over and they wander off as soon as I answer their question.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Anytime I whip mine out, it gets stares and some questions.
You were talking about your reading device, right?

I've had people ask me about my Sony twice....one in the airport and once on the plane.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
A couple of people at work have commented on my 505 but I generally keep it away from prying eyes. I don't want sticky paws on the screen.
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I've only had a couple of people ask me about my Sony 500. They both said the same thing. They both asked if it was a Kindle. They're both dead now! (just kidding)

I certainly wouldn't buy any ebook reader device in the hopes of meeting new people!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I must say, however, that having the device and this website helped me meet a wonderful group of people in real life, last weekend at our MobileRead picnic.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
I must say, however, that having the device and this website helped me meet a wonderful group of people in real life, last weekend at our MobileRead picnic.
i have to agree with that ! i rarely (to my dismay) get asked about my liseuse in public, however the meetups have been some of the nicest (and geekiest !) evenings you could hope for, with a lot of great people !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
The only place I've used mine in public is on the London Underground, and - especially during the rush hours - you just don't talk to anyone else . So no-one's asked me about it yet.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
Arek_W
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
The only place I've used mine in public is on the London Underground, and - especially during the rush hours - you just don't talk to anyone else . So no-one's asked me about it yet.
that's true, it is rather place for introvertic people
Old 10-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I still do get people asking about mine, especially on trains. And the train guard asked me whether that was one of those electronic readers, only yesterday.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:47 AM   #12
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek_W View Post
that's true, it is rather place for introvertic people
I pity those unfortunates who have to stand (that'll be 90% of commuters in rush hour) and who have to take in the aromatic esthers of the surrounding armpits barely inches from your nose.
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:58 AM   #13
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokkie View Post
I pity those unfortunates who have to stand (that'll be 90% of commuters in rush hour) and who have to take in the aromatic esthers of the surrounding armpits barely inches from your nose.
It helps to be tall
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:07 AM   #14
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
What a lovely story! I hope you will encourage your new friends to introduce themselves.

Anytime I whip mine out, it gets stares and some questions. However, I'm in a literacy-challenged region of the country, and there isn't quite as dense a population of book lovers. Usually peoples' eye glaze over and they wander off as soon as I answer their question.
Anytime I whip mine out, I get arreste.... oh.. you meant your e-reader... silly me. But yeah, I get a lot of stares as well, but as I said in another thread of about the same topic. This is Sweden, you do not talk to people you don't know
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:57 AM   #15
Arek_W
Connoisseur

I guess biz travellers are bit more open to ask/talk as they are modern nomads.
How many FT's or HT's can you read & wait for the plane which is late again

Last edited by Arek_W; 10-31-2008 at 04:59 AM.