Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Lowest long term costs

I already have my Kindle however this seems like the most appropriate place to discuss a question in my mind. There are two types of cost associated with ebooks, there is the short term costs (the cost of purchasing the reader its self) and the long term costs (the cost of the ebooks). As with many other markets the long term costs is where the merchants really get you. I have settled on a Kindle because what appears to be amazon's business strategy to compete in the market by providing the lowest long term costs, I can get a lot of low cost and free books. Which ebook reader is best at delivering the lowest long term costs?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If you have the tools to disinfect and Calibre to convert between formats? Any.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you have the tools to disinfect and Calibre to convert between formats? Any.
+1.

Get the reader you most like using, that you're going to enjoy using so much that you won't get uncontrollable upgrade fever when the next device comes out. That's probably one of the better ways to rein in cost.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
jineapple
Enthusiast
jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
One factor might be how good the store is for browsing...I really like the Kindle store, it usually has more books than anyone else, and it's really convenient to buy books...and I've definitely noticed an increase in my spending on books, even though the books themselves weren't expensive.
So, you might even want to get a reader with a worse shop, and get more free public domain stuff :P

I agree with the above posters though - Get the reader you want based on the reader itself, get calibre and you're fine
jineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jineapple View Post
I agree with the above posters though - Get the reader you want based on the reader itself, get calibre and you're fine
Just to clarify: Calibre is not DRM-stripping software, it's ebook library management and conversion software. You need to befriend Apprentice Alf to deal with DRM locks.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Pretty much what the others said. Personally, I'm not overly fond of Amazon and their business strategy, so I avoid their products. For e-books, especially, I prefer to be as independent as possible, and I don't want to have to jailbreak a device to be able to use it the way I'd like. I buy books from indie vendors like XinXii and Smashbooks, and disinfect stuff I purchase in the iBooks store (during the times when it is possible), and it all lives inside Calibre to be put on the devices I want to read something on.

I guess if none of those aspects matter to you, Amazon and a Kindle are a great choice. They do have the largest selection of books and the hardware is both solid and inexpensive. For me, though, the iPad is all the "boxing myself in" I'm willing to do.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote