Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
hd_cal_dave
hd_cal_dave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hd_cal_dave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hd_cal_dave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hd_cal_dave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android
Tags vs Dewey Decimal vs Library of Congress Classification

I've got a decent sized library (2000+ books) and I used to have them stored in a complex directory hierarchy according to dewey decimal. (Don't worry, I'm not going to ask if I can get Calibre to use that hierarchy internally!)

Now I am going through my books and tagging them. I've started to use more and more heirarchical tags, but I've been making them up as I go.

Then it hit me...why not use the DD or LCC system as my tagging system. Or maybe in addition to my personal tags.

Is this a reasonable thing to do? Have others done this? Does anyone have a file with the set of tags already created that I can import?

Thanks for any guidance in this area.
hd_cal_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_cal_dave View Post
I've got a decent sized library (2000+ books) and I used to have them stored in a complex directory hierarchy according to dewey decimal. (Don't worry, I'm not going to ask if I can get Calibre to use that hierarchy internally!)

Now I am going through my books and tagging them. I've started to use more and more heirarchical tags, but I've been making them up as I go.

Then it hit me...why not use the DD or LCC system as my tagging system. Or maybe in addition to my personal tags.

Is this a reasonable thing to do? Have others done this? Does anyone have a file with the set of tags already created that I can import?

Thanks for any guidance in this area.
I have been haunting this group for about 2 years and I can count on 1 hand the number of posts on the Dewey.
What ever makes you happy.

Since Dewey is a single value, you might want to make a custom column , making it easier to use without having to pry it out of a tag
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert