Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #136
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
It never occurred to me to ask how exactly this works. Don't laugh but perhaps that should I have been my first question. Here's what I think and please feel free to correct where wrong.

So I have both books loaded onto to my Kindle 3 and my iPhone.

If reading on the Kindle
Before stopping turn on wireless and ?????? Everytime I do a synch to furthest page it says "Already at furthest read location". So does this mean that I should just turn the wireless on and let it do it's thing?

If reading on iPhone app
Read and then when done do I hit the icon to synch?

Sorry to sound so stupid, I was so fixated on getting this to work, I don't think I had a good understanding of HOW it works.

I want to know what exactly should I do when I am done reading on either device to ensure that both stay in synch. Thanks!
On your kindle when you are done reading (make sure wireless is on and connected) just hit the home key to exit the book. That will update the furthest read location on the amazon servers. The same goes for the iPhone hit the home key to exit the book once done reading, I am not sure if it is 100% necessary but I then hit the sync icon in the iPhone to ensure that it updates the furthest read location.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #137
roofone
Enthusiast
roofone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, ipod, ipad
Hi,

Probably just missing something, but is there a trick to getting this to work?

I'm running Calibre 0.7.48. When I convert a book to mobi (say, from epub) and then sideload to my Kindle 3 via Calibre and add to my ipod via itunes, syncing to the furthest read page doesn't work.

When I look at the apnx file on my kindle using a text editor, I see that cdetype is set to EBOK, but it looks like the ASIN is blank.

Am I missing a step? Or, do I have to configure something differently?

Thanks!
roofone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #138
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofone View Post
Hi,

Probably just missing something, but is there a trick to getting this to work?

I'm running Calibre 0.7.48. When I convert a book to mobi (say, from epub) and then sideload to my Kindle 3 via Calibre and add to my ipod via itunes, syncing to the furthest read page doesn't work.

When I look at the apnx file on my kindle using a text editor, I see that cdetype is set to EBOK, but it looks like the ASIN is blank.

Am I missing a step? Or, do I have to configure something differently?

Thanks!
Have a look at this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121487

I used DiskAid to get this to work on my iphone.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #139
roofone
Enthusiast
roofone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, ipod, ipad
Perfect, thanks. It's too bad there's no way to do this natively in linux, but using Diskaid to load the books on to my ipod allowed the page sync'ing to work great.
roofone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #140
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofone View Post
Perfect, thanks. It's too bad there's no way to do this natively in linux, but using Diskaid to load the books on to my ipod allowed the page sync'ing to work great.
Glad you got it working. I just posted a new thread. Not all of mine will sync. The ones from Smashwords won't sync.

Carol
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #141
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is there any way of setting asin and cdetype in bulk? I know I could use calibre to convert from mobi to mobi but I tried it on one book and it actually changed the formatting of the book as well (not for the better!). I would like to just be able to change those fields on all my mobi's.

Thanks
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #142
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
Is there any way of setting asin and cdetype in bulk? I know I could use calibre to convert from mobi to mobi but I tried it on one book and it actually changed the formatting of the book as well (not for the better!). I would like to just be able to change those fields on all my mobi's.

Thanks
You can use"mobi2mobi" it will edit just those fields without changing anything else but you won't be able to do it in bulk.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #143
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Somebody had a batch file (and a python script) that used mobi2mobi to do bulk modifications. I'll see if I can't track it down.

EDIT: Here's the thread where the bulk scripts were being discussed.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-13-2011 at 07:33 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:56 AM   #144
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Somebody had a batch file (and a python script) that used mobi2mobi to do bulk modifications. I'll see if I can't track it down.

EDIT: Here's the thread where the bulk scripts were being discussed.
I think it needs a bit more EDITing - no link was provided.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #145
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2
I think it needs a bit more EDITing - no link was provided.
My how embarrassing.
Here is the link to the thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117645
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #146
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Is anyones whispersync for sideloaded books still working?

I've been mainly using Kindle for iPhone recently. But today I opened up my Kindle and tried to sync but found it no longer works. Went to check on my iPhone and that no longer works now! It just says im on the furthest page wherever I am. I'm sure it was working just yesterday.

Amazon caught on?

EDIT: ok after restarting Kindle on iPhone it works again. But if I sync it from the Kindle it breaks it for both.

Last edited by neonbible; 04-19-2011 at 02:14 PM.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #147
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Is anyones whispersync for sideloaded books still working?

I've been mainly using Kindle for iPhone recently. But today I opened up my Kindle and tried to sync but found it no longer works. Went to check on my iPhone and that no longer works now! It just says im on the furthest page wherever I am. I'm sure it was working just yesterday.

Amazon caught on?

EDIT: ok after restarting Kindle on iPhone it works again. But if I sync it from the Kindle it breaks it for both.
What I have found that works for me is;

When I am done reading on my Kindle, I turn on WiFi (I don't keep it on all the time). After it connects, I hit the 'home' button. Then I turn off WiFi. When I open the book in the Kindle App on my iPhone, sometimes I have to hit the sync button on the lower right corner to sync to the furthest page. When done reading on my iPhone, I go back to the 'home' screen again.

Carol
Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #148
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
What I have found that works for me is;

When I am done reading on my Kindle, I turn on WiFi (I don't keep it on all the time). After it connects, I hit the 'home' button. Then I turn off WiFi. When I open the book in the Kindle App on my iPhone, sometimes I have to hit the sync button on the lower right corner to sync to the furthest page. When done reading on my iPhone, I go back to the 'home' screen again.

Carol
That is what I have been doing. It's worked fine until today. Can you confim it still works for you for sideloaded books?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #149
neonbible
Addict

Seems to work ok between Kindle iPhone and PC desktop, but not the actual Kindle device. Have there been any updates recently?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #150
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Not sure if this is relevant but I know that iPhone OS 4.2.7 was just released and if you upgrading maybe that is causing issues? Just a guess. I have jailbroken my iPhone although from comments I read earlier that is not necessary to get the synch to work. I did it for other reasons.

Given there is no jailbreak for 4.2.7, I have not upgraded my OS at this time. Synching between Kindle and iPhone is still working for me with no problems.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, sideloading, sync "furthest page read", whispernet, whispersync