Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Samsung Galaxy Tab

What can I say?
Wow!
iPad really got competition.
Apps that have been crashing on Dell Streak are working fine, probably due to 2.2 instead of 2.1.
The display is extremely crisp, the touchscreen as responsive as on iPad.
7" are great. Dell Streak is a bit small for my needs, iPad is extremely bulky. 7" perfectly closes the gap.
I've had bad experiences with Samsung (UMPC), but this may change now...

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-20-2010 at 06:35 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
What can I say?
Wow!
iPad really got competition.
Apps that have been crashing on Dell Streak are working fine, probably due to 2.2 instead of 2.1.
The display is extremely crisp, the touchscreen equally as responsive as on iPad.
7" are great. Dell Streak is a bit small for my needs, iPad is extremely bulky. 7" perfectly closes the gap.
I've had bad experiences with Samsung (UMPC), but this may change now...
I wish they had brought a wifi only version.
I have a question does it work without a sim card.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Yes. It's working without SIM card. So does Dell Streak.

btw: "Wifi only" probably would mean "without GPS". And this I really wouldn't want to miss.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-20-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
You don't need phone capability to have a GPS receiver.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
You don't need phone capability to have a GPS receiver.
Theoretically that's true. But by far most (all?) manufacturers bundle those 2 functions.
Probably kind of makes sense. Without Googlemaps, POIs and the likes GPS for most users wouldn't be of much use.
Is there any tablet-like gadget with GPS but without 3G? (Of course there are "real" GPS navigation systems. but who actually would want to read on those or watch movies?).

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-20-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
We had some prototypes of the tab at the Kobo offices. Amazing device, I will surely buy one as soon as they hit Canada. It felt perfect to use. Having an android phone, it was a pretty easy transition to using the tab. Very pumped for it.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Most phones use Assisted GPS or AGPS to enhance the satellite signals and improve the startup time for the GPS system. Without the cellular signal to triangulate on known cellular towers the "Autonomous" GPS operation can suffer in locations with poor satellite reception such as in urban canyons and heavily forested areas.

Bottom line, GPS will work, but AGPS works better; so if you are buying a tablet with GPS services as a priority, better get a cellular service too.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Most phones use Assisted GPS or AGPS to enhance the satellite signals and improve the startup time for the GPS system. Without the cellular signal to triangulate on known cellular towers the "Autonomous" GPS operation can suffer in locations with poor satellite reception such as in urban canyons and heavily forested areas.

Bottom line, GPS will work, but AGPS works better; so if you are buying a tablet with GPS services as a priority, better get a cellular service too.
I own a samsung galaxy s and can tell you its gps sucks agps or not so
if you want good gps don't trust samsung
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
I bet the reason they didn't bring out a wifi version (yet) is because Google right now requires a 3G connection for an Android Device to have access to their App store. I believe that that restriction will be lifted with Android 3.0 at which point the flood gates might really open.

That being said, by then the iPad will be rather well established and HP might be bringing WebOS tablets to market.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I own a samsung galaxy s and can tell you its gps sucks agps or not so
if you want good gps don't trust samsung
So far (after 1 week) I don't see any differences in quality re. GPS between iPhone4, iPad, Dell Streak or Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Given the size, I wouldn't take iPad as my "travel companion". Probably Galaxy Tab neither as well.
Dell Streak is compact enough and iPhone4 fits perfectly in every pocket of course.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I bet the reason they didn't bring out a wifi version (yet) is because Google right now requires a 3G connection for an Android Device to have access to their App store. I believe that that restriction will be lifted with Android 3.0 at which point the flood gates might really open.

That being said, by then the iPad will be rather well established and HP might be bringing WebOS tablets to market.

--
Bill
With the exception of "Apple fanboys" (or fanboys of any other brand) I don't think there's anything like "well established" nowadays.
Yes, iPad will have its market share. But as soon as each user wants to replace his 1G unit, the game starts again. There won't be much "brand loyalty".
I've loved my iPad from End of May to about end of July.
Then I've got my iPhone4 and didn't touch my iPad since then.
About 4 weeks ago I've got my Dell Streak and didn't touch iPhone4 since then.
On Monday this week I've got my Samsung Galaxy Tab and didn't touch any other since then.

If I compare those 4, it's really easy:
- Dell Streak is great. But Android 1.6 is no fun at all. Flashing 2.1 from O2 UK did help. But if I compare to 2.2 on Samsung Galaxy, 2.1 is far behind. Given that handicap, Dell Streak can't shine as much as would be possible if I look at its featureset.
- iPhone4 is the very first iPhone I like. It's still far from being a business phone (no profiles, for example), but a great gadget.
- iPad is great. But it's a bit too heavy and bulky for my taste. And it already took too much time for the new firmware. Where's my $&/(# multitasking?
- Samsung Galaxy Tab. It's a bit less stylish than iPad (but still nice enough). And Android still needs some kind of "polishing". But it's great. "Perfect" form factor, speedy and responsive.

What I don't like about all of them:
Yes, there are tons of apps. For Android and even more so for IOS.
But it's mainly of lower quality. Prices of $5 for your average download should say enough.
There are highly professional apps like "Navigon" for example.
But for every "professional" app I find at least 10 "inacceptable" ones.
I'd rather pay 3 to 5 times the price for quality, than always aiming for the "below $ 10" price point...
I miss the "big names" - for professional tools, but for games as well...

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-22-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I was far more impressed with the Galaxy Tab than I expected to be, esp. on the issue of screen real estate. It feels "enough" and has the advantage of being quite portable; the iPad, as example, tips over into the "clipboard" size; the Galaxy Tab is still "trade paperback". It's also lighter than I expected and, of course, though the screen is not Super Amoled, it is outstanding.

Really, the biggest challenge is pricing. In the US it's $600 with a wireless plan; no firm word on how low that goes on a 2 yr contract. It undercuts the iPad pricing by 20% at most, and you don't get the iPhone/iPtouch/iPad ecosystem. On the other hand, it's the first to mass global market and Samsung et al are far more likely to lower prices sooner than Apple ... so that 20% gap will widen quickly.

I found the Dell Streak 5" model too small for my taste.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Yes, iPad will have its market share. But as soon as each user wants to replace his 1G unit, the game starts again. There won't be much "brand loyalty".
Don't agree with that.
Once you got your favourite set of apps you are used to working with (whether they are iOS or Android or whatever), it is a barrier to changing to a different platform.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Don't agree with that.
Once you got your favourite set of apps you are used to working with (whether they are iOS or Android or whatever), it is a barrier to changing to a different platform.
There are lots of different interests, I guess.
If I look at my friends and colleagues, there mainly seem to be 2 consumer groups:
Group 1: Seems to be surprisingly big. The users who buy no or only few apps, books, movies, music, ...
I'm exactly the opposite. I spend maybe 5 to 10 times for "follow-up" items, as I spend for the gadgets themselves.
But I see an awful lot of consumers, having only few apps. And those few they didn't even buy. (Hello, Cydia).
Group 2: I'm one of those. To me, iPad and the likes are mere gadgets. Nothing else than toys, far from "serious or professional tools". I love the "new" aspect. I've bought lots of books more than once, to have them on all platforms. I've got my favorite navigational app on 3 platforms, for example. If I'd only replace the hardware every 2 years, I'd simply be bored. Testing new apps on the other hand is 80% of the fun. And given the extremely low prices for iOS or Android apps, that's not really an issue. "Time" may be an issue. But how much time does it really take, to replace your 10 or 20 core applications?

I see this all the time: Friends, trashing their hundreds of DVDs to jump onto the Blue-Ray-wagon. Before that, trashing their hundreds of CDs for MP3s and so on...
Old 10-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Yes, We want Wi-Fi!

Quote:
++ We want wi-fi!
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote