Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Can you read a standard iBooks book on a PC or android device?

We don't talk about DRM here, let's say you created a book on Apple's iBooks Author and saved it not in EPUB but in Apple iBooks format. These are different file formats if I understand correctly. The question is can you read it in any way, shape or form on a PC or Android device?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
We don't talk about DRM here, let's say you created a book on Apple's iBooks Author and saved it not in EPUB but in Apple iBooks format. These are different file formats if I understand correctly. The question is can you read it in any way, shape or form on a PC or Android device?
Not without massaging it into another format, no.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
So, for example can I get the iBook file into Calibre then format it to EPUB and I'm done?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
You would have to break the DRM to read it, however iBooks is really just a variant in ePub 3 format and can generally be read on ePub readers that can read ePub3 and may be readable on some ePub 2 devices depending on the book. Of course there are exceptions since some epub 3 and Apple variant features may not work and if the book support fixed layout formatting then it won't work at all. Kobo can read Apple fixed layout formatting on some devices.

If the DRM issue is resolved then you could like pull it into Sigil and resave it as ePub 2 but some changes may be needed and Sigil will allow you to make them.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You would have to break the DRM to read it, however iBooks is really just a variant in ePub 3 format and can generally be read on ePub readers that can read ePub3 and may be readable on some ePub 2 devices depending on the book. Of course there are exceptions since some epub 3 and Apple variant features may not work and if the book support fixed layout formatting then it won't work at all. Kobo can read Apple fixed layout formatting on some devices.

If the DRM issue is resolved then you could like pull it into Sigil and resave it as ePub 2 but some changes may be needed and Sigil will allow you to make them.

Dale
If he made the ebook himself with iBooks Author then it won't have DRM.
Advert
Old 06-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If he made the ebook himself with iBooks Author then it won't have DRM.
Good, then he should have any trouble following my advice. I was wonder why you gave him the advice you did?

Dale
Old 06-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Good, then he should have any trouble following my advice. I was wonder why you gave him the advice you did?

Dale
Because there is no iBooks app for Windows or Android. Thus the ebook would need to be massaged into another ebook format. And I'm really not sure how to do that.

I don't know why you took my sentence as a euphemism for stripping DRM.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
So, for example can I get the iBook file into Calibre then format it to EPUB and I'm done?
I have no idea. Try it and see what happens.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Some of the iBooks have no DRM. So yeah, you could easily load them into any ePub reader you wanted. But most do have some form of it.

iBooks Mac support is coming in the next few months with Mavericks. $999 starting investment, but very much worth it in the end.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Because there is no iBooks app for Windows or Android. Thus the ebook would need to be massaged into another ebook format. And I'm really not sure how to do that.

I don't know why you took my sentence as a euphemism for stripping DRM.
I did not take it that way. iBooks is an ePub reader so why would you think you need another eBook format?

Dale
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
I did not take it that way. iBooks is an ePub reader so why would you think you need another eBook format?

Dale
Because the OP was asking about iBooks Author, which makes iBooks format ebooks (but not Epub3, so fas as I know).

iBooks is Apple's own version of Epub3, and what little info I have on it suggests that changing it to Epub involves more than simply renaming the suffix.

Or am I wrong in that regard?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Because the OP was asking about iBooks Author, which makes iBooks format ebooks (but not Epub3, so fas as I know).

iBooks is Apple's own version of Epub3, and what little info I have on it suggests that changing it to Epub involves more than simply renaming the suffix.

Or am I wrong in that regard?
It's a variation on epub3. It might contain some Apple specific stuff but I reckon those will mostly just be ignored by other epub readers.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote