Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Vava
Vava began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite
Open a web page at startup on a PaperWhite

Hi !

As part as a project I will need to display at startup the content of a web page (basically an image). And then update this content each hour (for example). I saw a thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210210) who will allow me to display the page in full screen.

But how can I do it at startup, without any "human" intervention ?

Then, it would be even better if I manage to fully replace the OS by a basic Linux who will only launch my web browser with the url I want.
Do you think this is possible and if so, do you have any ideas ?
I confess, I'm really new with kindle tablet and the project is quite short, so if it gets really complicated I will keep the first option.

Thanks for your advices.

Vadim
Vava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
I think it could be done using an upstart script and the end of the upstart process.
But wait for more info!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198484
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
Vava

Thank you both, a script plus the event handler will do the trick !

But, I have an other question, is that possible to manage the processor activity ? For example, when the kindke puts itself on standby, I would like to reduce the cpu activity to 10% and shut off the WiFi. Do you know how can I do it ?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vava View Post
Thank you both, a script plus the event handler will do the trick !

But, I have an other question, is that possible to manage the processor activity ? For example, when the kindke puts itself on standby, I would like to reduce the cpu activity to 10% and shut off the WiFi. Do you know how can I do it ?
I don't really understand the question. When the Kindle is in standby, it's pretty much powered off. I don't think the Wifi is on in that state, and it shouldn't be processing anything (though I seem to recall that cronjobs still get executed, so take the above with a grain of salt).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
posted within the past week:
echo 'mem' >/sys/power/state

or something like that, search for my post in the thread subject of turning the Kindle off.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
Vava

Thanks ixtab for your informations, I will get the kindle today, I didn't knew about the sleep mode implications.
knc1, I saw your post, I will take a look at it ! Thanks too.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I don't really understand the question. When the Kindle is in standby, it's pretty much powered off. I don't think the Wifi is on in that state, and it shouldn't be processing anything (though I seem to recall that cronjobs still get executed, so take the above with a grain of salt).
On my paperwhite - Which to all external signs is sound asleep ::

Plug in USB cable:
Code:
PM: resume of devices complete after 804.277 msecs
kernel: I PM:resume:duration=804.277:
Restarting tasks ... done.
g_ether gadget: high speed config #1: CDC Ethernet (ECM)
Battery: Resume - TimeSuspended(secs)=569234, NAC=0x1ed1, RSOC=98, capacity=92%
Battery: Resume - PostUpdate NAC=0x1c25, RSOC=98 
[root@kindle root]#
Which to me reads as if I forgot to shutdown USB network before putting it away the last time I used it.
(A change in the device's system resources will wake Linux from suspend - any Linux, even your desktop).

So the report says it sat in its case about 6.5 days, waiting for something to happen.
Used 8% of the battery capacity doing that.

According to the dmesg above - cron would not have been running - but I suspect the hardware timers where.
And obviously, the USB buses where powered (so the change in bus configuration could wake the sleeping kernel).

PS: Yes, earlier in the kernel message buffer it mentioned that the Wifi chip was powered off.

Last edited by knc1; 05-24-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
Vava

Knc1, could you explain how you get those type of logs please ? It seems really helpful
Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Knc1, could you explain how you get those type of logs please ? It seems really helpful
From SSH terminal connection:

dmseg (does not clear the buffer)
dmseg -c (does clear the buffer)

Re-direct to a file if you want to save the output.

From the KUAL launcher:
touch the: dmesg -> document button.

That does clear the buffer, but each generated text document is named by its date-time stamp of creation.

For the post above, I used the first method - because the screen saver was still displayed by the "wake on USB event" process.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
Vava

Thanks knc1 ! I have a final question, do you need to use SSH connection to perform sudo command ? When I tried to edit some file I get a permission denied and the sudo command is unknown..
Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks knc1 ! I have a final question, do you need to use SSH connection to perform sudo command ? When I tried to edit some file I get a permission denied and the sudo command is unknown..
On the Kindle ?
You are already running as root.

Some of the filesystems are mounted read-only;
Some of the filesystems can not be written by design.

"tried to edit some file" <<--- which one? where?
It makes a difference in the answer.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Vava

Ok, for example, an "echo mem >/sys/power/state" is not working.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ok, for example, an "echo mem >/sys/power/state" is not working.
Maybe I mis-spelled the option(s)

do cat /sys/power/state
to see what options it expects.

if I mis-spelled a directory or file name - look for them near that spot in the system tree.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
Vava

The spelling is OK, that's why I don't understand... But, I found an other way to do it, so don't bother you And thank you for all your help !

Tags
linux, paperwhite, startup