Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Nobble
Nobble began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Is there a 'quick' way to switch to a list by author...

...by which I mean if viewing the main book list, to either right-click on a book and list just all books by that author, or for example to change the behaviour of clicking the author name in the details pane from taking you to wikipedia, to instead update the list view.

Finding the author in the browser list or even typing a search in the search bar is no big slog, admittedly, it just seems like something that could/should just take a couple of clicks - any tweak or plugin (or just something I've missed) that makes this do-able?

edit:bugger Just found the 'similar books >by author' right click, sorry.

Last edited by Nobble; 04-13-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Nobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Select a book by the author of choice then press Alt A works for me on Windows.

Or the slightly longer version:
Highlight book, right-click, select Similar books, then 'Books by same author'.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Nobble
Nobble began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Alt A is even better, thank you, I knew there had to be a a way!
Nobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Select a book by the author of choice then press Alt A works for me on Windows.

Or the slightly longer version:
Highlight book, right-click, select Similar books, then 'Books by same author'.
Love the Alt-A. Didn't know about this. Thanks.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobble View Post
...by which I mean if viewing the main book list, to either right-click on a book and list just all books by that author, or for example to change the behaviour of clicking the author name in the details pane from taking you to wikipedia, to instead update the list view.
Another way to get such a list that might work for you depending on what you are doing is quickview. Click in the author cell you are interested in and press Q. A window will open with all the authors for that book on the left, and all the books by the selected author on the right. This is a non-modal window that stays on top of the calibre window, so you can use it and the calibre main window at the same time. For example, if you double-click on a book in the quickview window the selection will change in the calibre window. If you click on a book in the calibre window the contents of the quickview window will change to reflect the book you clicked on.

Quickview works for several columns such as authors, series, tags, publisher, and text-based custom columns. Click in the column you want to "quickview".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Another way to get such a list that might work for you depending on what you are doing is quickview. Click in the author cell you are interested in and press Q. A window will open with all the authors for that book on the left, and all the books by the selected author on the right. This is a non-modal window that stays on top of the calibre window, so you can use it and the calibre main window at the same time. For example, if you double-click on a book in the quickview window the selection will change in the calibre window. If you click on a book in the calibre window the contents of the quickview window will change to reflect the book you clicked on.

Quickview works for several columns such as authors, series, tags, publisher, and text-based custom columns. Click in the column you want to "quickview".
Chaley that is brilliant, I really like the way the main list follows the quick view - is it in the manual

Maybe Quickview-able column names could be indicated (Italics maybe) and maybe the column name context menu could have a Quickview Current option if appropriate.

I have difficulty seeing which cell in the 'spreadsheet' is current (something to think about) and I don't like clicking on a cell and being thrown into edit mode when that's not what I want - I could tweak that feature off and limit myself to F2 - if I could find the tweak.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-10-2013 at 05:11 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
maybe the column name context menu could have a Quickview Current option if appropriate.
Quickview in the column context menu is a good idea. I submitted the changes to Kovid and they are now in trunk. The menu item is shown if the column is "quickview"able. It is disabled if more than one book is selected to avoid any selection ambiguity.

FWIW: clicking in a non-quickviewable field will change the book but not change the selected column. As title isn't quickviewable, that is a good column to use to change the contents of the quickview window without changing the column being examined.
Quote:
I have difficulty seeing which cell in the 'spreadsheet' is current (something to think about) and I don't like clicking on a cell and being thrown into edit mode when that's not what I want - I could tweak that feature off and limit myself to F2 - if I could find the tweak.
I think you are looking for the tweak "Control behavior of the book list (ID: doubleclick_on_library_view)". If you set the tweak to "edit_metadata" then single clicks on cells change the selection but do nothing else.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quickview in the column context menu is a good idea. I submitted the changes to Kovid and they are now in trunk. The menu item is shown if the column is "quickview"able. It is disabled if more than one book is selected to avoid any selection ambiguity.

FWIW: clicking in a non-quickviewable field will change the book but not change the selected column. As title isn't quickviewable, that is a good column to use to change the contents of the quickview window without changing the column being examined.
I think you are looking for the tweak "Control behavior of the book list (ID: doubleclick_on_library_view)". If you set the tweak to "edit_metadata" then single clicks on cells change the selection but do nothing else.
@chaley thanks for progressing my idea for including Quickview in the column name context menu. When I use the mouse to select a book, I click on the row number - spreadsheet habit

And thanks for pointing me at the tweak, I'd prefer to have independent control over what single & double click do. But, I'll have a play around - its not a big deal for me, I use the keyboard a lot more than the mouse.

But how about a tweak for current cell highlighting - what I see is a subtle barely there skinny tapered underline of the cell text, what I'd prefer is an in your face black cell border - like the Excel default

Its an issue that goes beyond the book list spread sheet, its very easy to lose sight of what control has the focus. If you move the mouse wheel over Book details that takes focus away from the list, which 'disables' the menu key. Fortunately Kovid has fixed that in the latest release with the Focus the Book List keyboard shortcut.

BR
Old 05-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But how about a tweak for current cell highlighting - what I see is a subtle barely there skinny tapered underline of the cell text, what I'd prefer is an in your face black cell border - like the Excel default
This is something that has bothered me for a while. My older eyes had trouble seeing that line.

After a fair amount playing with options and back-and-forth discussion with Kovid, he added marking the current column header, row header, and cell. Note that the "current" row is different from the "selected" row, because more than one row can be selected but only one row can be current. To make this distinction, the current row and column headers are rendered in bold and italic. The attached screen capture shows what it looks like.

The change required both python changes and some hacking in the C++ Qt code so using it requires a binary update, which should happen on Friday.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
This is something that has bothered me for a while. My older eyes had trouble seeing that line.
Argh, 'tis good to know I an not alone

Quote:
The attached screen capture shows what it looks like.
Really - I can't see it Don't worry it happened to me the other day

Quote:
The change required both python changes and some hacking in the C++ Qt code so using it requires a binary update, which should happen on Friday.
IMO you got it the wrong way around - one hacks in python but in C++ you have to carefully craft your code because of its propensity to hide bugs.

Thanks once again for progressing the issue

BR
Old 05-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The attached screen capture shows what it looks like.
Quote:
Really - I can't see it Don't worry it happened to me the other day
Bah. The attachment was there when I previewed the message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	311
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	105800  
Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

The dog ate my attachment,

Looks good.

What's them green drop down arrows in the author Column, multiple author list methinks.

BR
Old 05-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What's them green drop down arrows in the author Column, multiple author list methinks.
Just testing column icon rules. The green arrow icon was convenient and very visible.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Somehow I missed this addition... a very helpful feature, especially given the fact you can go to the underlying Calibre library window!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Somehow I missed this addition... a very helpful feature, especially given the fact you can go to the underlying Calibre library window!
@copyrite thanks I hadn't tried that

I did detect the underlying followed the Quicklist - but being able to go to the book makes it even better - and the Quicklist is kept on top

BR