Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #16
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Did you install the basic Google apps as well? We had this issue on the rooted NOOKcolor some time. Try logging into a Google app besides Market. On the NOOKcolor we had to log into Google Talk. You can try clearing data and cache on the Market app.
The problem is that the googleserviceframework is not the only thing needed. You also need some other app for it to work.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
The problem is that the googleserviceframework is not the only thing needed. You also need some other app for it to work.
Right. I assumed when folks said the Vox has been rooted, that included all the necessary stuff to get Market up and running (since the device doesn't come with Market already). But, yeah, rooting is the easy part. Getting Market to work requires more effort.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I tried two different things:

Neither worked for me, however, I did not try the first one using Talk rather than Market, as suggested above AND I have not tried using a different cyanogenmod package (as directed to if the first install failed). I had to reset the Vox after the cyanogenmod attempt as it borked my home button and few other things.

On the weekend, I may play a bit more.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #19
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Quote:
Did you install the basic Google apps as well? We had this issue on the rooted NOOKcolor some time. Try logging into a Google app besides Market. On the NOOKcolor we had to log into Google Talk. You can try clearing data and cache on the Market app.
No, I didn't install the basic maps. I did have "Maps" installed before, which used to work fine, but with the Market app installed it now insists on logging me in which doesn't work and therefore Maps no longer works. (BTW, I've since uninstalled Market and GSF since they weren't useful, and Maps now works again without the login requirement.)
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
No, I didn't install the basic maps. I did have "Maps" installed before, which used to work fine, but with the Market app installed it now insists on logging me in which doesn't work and therefore Maps no longer works. (BTW, I've since uninstalled Market and GSF since they weren't useful, and Maps now works again without the login requirement.)
No, the basic Google apps. Usually when you root and try to get Market going there are several Google app files included (zip file). They're automatically installed along with Market. These would be the same files that are preloaded on a regular Android tablet (YouTube, Google Talk, GMail, Google Calendar, Google Books, etc.).
Old 11-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #21
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Neither worked for me, however, I did not try the first one using Talk rather than Market, as suggested above AND I have not tried using a different cyanogenmod package (as directed to if the first install failed). I had to reset the Vox after the cyanogenmod attempt as it borked my home button and few other things.

On the weekend, I may play a bit more.
Did you manage to install all the app in the file?
Did you just unpack it and install the apk?
What didn't work?
Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
That's what I'm in search of. There is no Kobo app for tablets in the Android Market. Been looking in Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Acer Iconia A500 forums. These devices come with the custom Kobo app not available to others. I found the custom .apk from the Galaxy Tab 7 inch, but it's outdated.
Do you mean some kind of special tablet only app?

I was able to install the Kobo app to my Transformer through the Android Market.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #23
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Do you mean some kind of special tablet only app?

I was able to install the Kobo app to my Transformer through the Android Market.
That's not a tablet app. It's a phone app with minimal features. This wouldn't be so bad if it was optimized for tablets. If you look at the product page on the Kobo website and the video in the Android Market that's not what you have installed. It's a misrepresentation with no explanation from Kobo.

http://www.kobobooks.com/androidtablet

You're welcome to follow the discussion about this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153997
Old 11-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #24
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Quote:
No, the basic Google apps. Usually when you root and try to get Market going there are several Google app files included (zip file). They're automatically installed along with Market. These would be the same files that are preloaded on a regular Android tablet (YouTube, Google Talk, GMail, Google Calendar, Google Books, etc.).
None of those were included in my installation. The APK I used was 1.42 Mb, which I think is relatively small. I likely found a Market-only version of the APK.

I can't see any of those apps helping with the connection. Are there other system files that would be included though?
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #25
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
None of those were included in my installation. The APK I used was 1.42 Mb, which I think is relatively small. I likely found a Market-only version of the APK.

I can't see any of those apps helping with the connection. Are there other system files that would be included though?
I don't know whose putting those installation packages together. Everything should be included to get Market up and running. I'm not following the Vox rooting progress, so I'm out of the loop. I'm just sharing general rooting information that's pretty standard across devices that don't come with Market. It's not just a matter of grabbing some .apk files and installing them. I know some of the stuff seems irrelevant, but that's how it is when you're trying to come up with workarounds.

The fact that YouTube isn't working on the Vox, along with Netflix means something is not right. Certain files could be missing.

Last edited by SCION; 11-02-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #26
spikexp
Connoisseur

Well, root is not even needed to install the google apps.

Rooting is easy to do. The goal of rooting is to give the right to do everything to every file on the system.
Rooting is needed to install a recovery (to install the google apps more easily and to change the rom/kernel).

I really hope to see a CM7 version for the vox.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #27
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Well, root is not even needed to install the google apps.

Rooting is easy to do. The goal of rooting is to give the right to do everything to every file on the system.
Rooting is needed to install a recovery (to install the google apps more easily and to change the rom/kernel).

I really hope to see a CM7 version for the vox.
How are you going to install system files if you can't write to the directory? Don't you need to be rooted? I'm just sharing how we got the NOOKcolor working with Market and all Google apps without replacing the ROM.

Last edited by SCION; 11-02-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #28
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
That's what I'm in search of. There is no Kobo app for tablets in the Android Market. Been looking in Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Acer Iconia A500 forums. These devices come with the custom Kobo app not available to others. I found the custom .apk from the Galaxy Tab 7 inch, but it's outdated.
I downloaded Kobo and Kindle on my new Sony S Tablet with no problem. Maybe it has to be Honeycomb?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #29
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
I downloaded Kobo and Kindle on my new Sony S Tablet with no problem. Maybe it has to be Honeycomb?
What you have isn't a tablet app. I have a Sony Tablet S as well. See post #23 for a detailed explanation.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
That's not a tablet app. It's a phone app with minimal features. This wouldn't be so bad if it was optimized for tablets. If you look at the product page on the Kobo website and the video in the Android Market that's not what you have installed. It's a misrepresentation with no explanation from Kobo.
Ahh, got it. Didn't know anything about an actual tablet version.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote