Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #46
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Maybe a Pixel Qi netbook would work better for you. Looks like they're in the works.
Don't want a netbook. Want a tablet.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #47
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I'd suggest you buy an iPad and try it. (Unless you can borrow one.) If it doesn't work for you, you can pay a restocking fee or resell. I figured the worse I could do if I didn't like mine was pay a restocking fee. I figured if I tried it early and didn't like it, I probably could resell for profit while supply was still limited.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As with any other device, the key to a long battery life is to keep communications devices turned off unless you're using them. It takes only two taps to put the iPad into "Airplane Mode", in which WiFi, 3G (if you have it), and Bluetooth are all disabled; in that mode, the battery life is considerably extended. I find that, in that mode, reading for an hour typically drains the battery by only 2 or 3%.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #49
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
As myself and many iPad owners have said.... it is a great reading experience. For me and my wife it is way better than the Sony readers were. There are no doubt many like us.... but as always it comes down to individual preference. After using an iPad for a while now (over 3 months) there is no way I would go back to an eInk screen. But, there are others that keep their Kindle's or whatever, to use for sunlight reading.... as I always say, different strokes for different folks... There is no right or wrong, or better or worse in things like this, only different people with different expectations and needs....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #50
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
What size are you looking for? If you want 10", the iPad might be the best choice you just have to make sure you find shade.

If you are flexible you might want to look at the Dell Streak. It's classified as a tablet and has some pretty impressive videos. The screen is durable (some guy took a box cutter to the screen and didn't scratch it). Some show off it's functionality/features

Most Reviews in general tend to be pretty positive about the device (I haven't came across a bad review, but I'm sure there is one out there)

The device is only out in the UK and will be released in the states in July. The prices haven't been shared but it will come as an ATT exclusive, or you can buy the device without a contract.

Direct Sunlight. Here are some pictures of the device in direct sunlight.
http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/06/d...isibility.html

Dell Streak Offical site (specs)
http://content.dell.com/us/en/corp/d...ll-streak.aspx

http://macblips.dailyradar.com/video...ndroid-tablet/

But paying $500 for a device (read LCD screens) that does not suit you needs is a bit steep. You might want to hold off and see what comes out later this year. It is rumored that tables with the Qualcomm Mirasol Display are coming out latter this year. These devices will have screens that can work well in direct sunlight.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #51
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Is it really surprising that many folks would find the iPad good enough for reading that, having purchased an iPad, they wouldn't see a need to buy an eink reader?

Turns out that eink, while nice, was unfairly comparing itself to reading at a desk and not just LCD technology. If one's computer monitor was eink, it'd probably still suck for reading books. You want to be able to hold your device a lot closer and sit in whatever way that is comfortable .... And a computer just doesn't cut it.

Eink is still a lot better for reading in full sun, but the iPad has shown that LCD is fine for most people for reading.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #52
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Funny thing about the survey is that it only queried iPad owners. It didn't ask how many people aren't interested in buying or owning an iPad. You always get skewed results when you ask people who have already spent their money on a such a device -- can you imagine your spouse rading how much you regret having spent all that money on a device you hate! Definitely better to ask the gazillions of us who didn't buy an iPad whether we would buy an e-ink device instead or neither. I think the math goes something like this: 3 million iPads sold, billions who didn't buy it.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #53
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The device is only out in the UK and will be released in the states in July. The prices haven't been shared but it will come as an ATT exclusive, or you can buy the device without a contract.
I guess I should also mention that I don't want to pay for another data plan. I already have one on my BlackBerry. That's why I was looking only at the WiFi iPad. There's also no way I would consider anything heavier than the iPad, which is already too heavy. I like to hold my DX in one hand when I'm reading. I used to to have the Amazon cover, but I got rid of it because the extra 3 ounces made it too uncomfortable to hold in one hand. Even with that cover, it is still a couple of ounces lighter than the lightest iPad. The more I think about it, there are just too many compromises with the iPad, for me anyway.

A few ounces lighter and readable in the sun, and I'd be all over it, even though an LCD screen does tire my eyes after a while. I could live with that.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #54
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Funny thing about the survey is that it only queried iPad owners. It didn't ask how many people aren't interested in buying or owning an iPad. You always get skewed results when you ask people who have already spent their money on a such a device -- can you imagine your spouse rading how much you regret having spent all that money on a device you hate! Definitely better to ask the gazillions of us who didn't buy an iPad whether we would buy an e-ink device instead or neither. I think the math goes something like this: 3 million iPads sold, billions who didn't buy it.
I think the point of the survey was to gauge iPad's effect on other product categories.

If anyone bought an iPad and couldn't figure out how to return or resell it, if he didn't like it, he probably couldn't tie his shoelaces, either.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-09-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #55
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
...The device is only out in the UK and will be released in the states in July. The prices haven't been shared but it will come as an ATT exclusive, or you can buy the device without a contract...
I guess I should also mention that I don't want to pay for another data plan. I already have one on my BlackBerry. That's why I was looking only at the WiFi iPad. There's also no way I would consider anything heavier than the iPad, which is already too heavy. I like to hold my DX in one hand when I'm reading. I used to to have the Amazon cover, but I got rid of it because the extra 3 ounces made it too uncomfortable to hold in one hand. Even with that cover, it is still a couple of ounces lighter than the lightest iPad. The more I think about it, there are just too many compromises with the iPad, for me anyway.

A few ounces lighter and readable in the sun, and I'd be all over it, even though an LCD screen does tire my eyes after a while. I could live with that.

I guess I wasn't clear by what I meant with "without a contract". That means you are buying the device unlocked and straight from Dell without cell coverage, no phone no data plan.

Honestly though you have the Kindle DX and that comes with 3G. I'd think that device would suit you needs just fine. While the browser isn't blazing fast it's good enough when you visit mobile web sites. I find my Kindle 2 works great for casual browsing.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #56
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Funny thing about the survey is that it only queried iPad owners.
Not that funny-it was an iPad owner survey.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #57
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I bought my iPad to use as an ereaders, replacing my Sony. The real problem with the iPad is that it carries it's own distractions with it. All the things that distract me from reading-- movies. Internet, email, testing, news, computer games-- they're all right there with my ebooks.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #58
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
How many of the ones that said they were not considering buying an eReader, were considering getting one in the first place?

You can also read that statistic to say that 51% of iPad users are still considering getting one. In other words, the majority of iPad owners still want a separate eReader.

Aren't statistics fun?

(I don't think either one of those stats really mean anything. It's all in how you want to interpret people's answers.)
I don't think any of these "surveys" should be looked at as scientific proof. These are not research studies where all the variables are accounted for.

But it doesn't mean less formal studies should be easily dismissed. The fact that half those surveyed responsed in the same way suggests something. It suggests that maybe the iPad is a sufficiently satisfying 50% of people's eReading needs. Some may have higher requirements, some less, but nonetheless, about 50% have their needs met by the iPad. That's just what I'm taking from this survey. Not posting it as proof of some fact.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #59
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
. It suggests that maybe the iPad is a sufficiently satisfying 50% of people's eReading needs. Some may have higher requirements, some less, but nonetheless, about 50% have their needs met by the iPad. That's just what I'm taking from this survey. Not posting it as proof of some fact.
It does not mean only half enjoy reading on the iPad. Only that half were nit interested in an eink reader due to having an iPad. You canny assume the converse that half are interested in getting an eink reader. We are not told how many are simply not interested in an eink reader iPad or no.

From our own forum on this site, iPad owners are overwhelmingly happy with it as a reader. A good many of them are owners of eink devices and prefer the iPad. Some still prefer their eink devices. But very few have simply not found the iPad good for reading. Nothing like 50% of iPad owners are dissastisfied.

The iPad, mobile phones, and the coming onslaught of android tablets are going to take a significant share of the ereader market. Some still hold onto the notion that lcd's are nit suitable for reading and that serious readers will overwhelmingly choosing eink. That's going to be shown to be untrue.

Eink is going to continue to thrive but only by being cheaper...not better.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #60
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure what this thread means when it says that "iPad owners will not be buying an e(book)reader". The iPad is an ebook reader, along with many other things too. It's a pretty good ebook reader. The only thing it's really not good at is reading outside in sunlight.
Yep. My PDAs are useless in sunlight, but I crippled along for a decade or so without a direct-sunligh-readable display, and read a lot of books. I think iPad owners have some vague idea they did buy an ebook reader.

Who knows, they may buy a jetBook for the 20% of the time they need to read at the beach in sunlight[1]. If I were Ectaco, I'd be negotiating for iBook licensing rights as we type.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

[1] ref. the infamous Ectaco YouTube short showing how the jetBook blows away the iPad in direct sunlight. It's kind of hilarious, and kind of pathetic at the same time.
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote