Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Article: The bookstore of the future

Link. I don't usually post my own stuff here, but I think this is one of my best for Teleread. In a nutshell:

- E and P can co-exist quite happily, thanks to integrated in-store network/website combos for the mostly text stuff and retail space for the arty and print on demand.

- Use the in-store networks to push special content designed to get the customer to buy more, for example if I buy a book from a series while in the store, an immediate coupon worth a discount on the others if I buy right now

- Freebies from free sources, such as short stories from author websites, or classics on related issues, proofed and formatted for my device. For example, buy the Jane Austen-themed modern book and get a Jane Austen classic for free.

- Cross-branding. For example, the in-store coffee shop can make cookie recipes from the cookbooks the bookstore sells. Buy the cookie and get a free sampler from the cookbook containing the recipe. Then if you buy the actual cookbook, a discount coupon if you do it right then and there.

I really think this is one of my best articles and it shows that the end is not nigh for the smart thinkers who know how to capitalize on opportunity. What do you think of my future bookstore? Is this how it's going to be, or do you see things turning out differently?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
What I worry about, when I think about the future of bookstores, isn't the competition from ebooks but the general decline in readers.

Much of what you describe sounds great from a marketing standpoint, and that's been my theme in many areas, that a person of outstanding ability in the technical arena (for a bookshop I guess that would be a bibliophile-if that term isn't restricted to pbooks) often can't run a successful business.

I do think bookstores of the future will sell ebooks as well as pbooks, and they could well evolve as you describe-but I suspect that their number will also decline as many of the current stores fail to make 'the switch'.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
General decline in reading is one thing - but lots of the publishing industry at the moment is involved in making it harder to read than it should be. So they really aren't interested in this in a practical manner - but in money, like any other garden variety company.

As an analyst said - forget who, maybe Shirky? They think paper book reading is a widespread activity and internet and electronic use is an elitist thing, when in fact it is the reverse.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote