Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #76
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Have you downloaded books into Adobe Digital Editions before? If not, you may need to "authorize your computer" You do this by opening ADE and clicking on the little arrow next to "library".

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 AM   #77
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Thank you Wallcraft and Leep. I discovered I didnt have Active Python installed, so I am installing it now. I hope all my other stuff still works. I will let everyone know. I searched online and thought it might be a permissions issue, but I have admin rights. Fingers are crossed.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #78
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope. I still get an error box, which is entitled Adept Key, which says error access violation. I will try again tomorrow evening. I never give up!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:48 AM   #79
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Nothing works. I stayed up and downloaded and installed python 2.5, and pycrypto, and same error message.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:36 AM   #80
i♥cabbages
Leafy greens connoisseur
i♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Thank you Wallcraft and Leep. I discovered I didnt have Active Python installed, so I am installing it now. I hope all my other stuff still works.
You definitely don't need ActivePython. Please uninstall it first and re-run the Python 2.6 installer to make sure Python scripts are associated with Python 2.6.

For the error... I've been wracking my brain, but I don't have many ideas. I've gotten positive reports from Vista users, so it isn't that. Are you running a 64-bit version of Windows? If so, please make sure you've installed the 32-bit version of Python. Does disabling DEP for Python 2.6 help? -- I am dynamically generating a function on the heap. If none of that works, try running the version of adeptkey.pyw at [removed per MR policy -- will PM] and pasting the results into a CODE block here.

Edit: I removed the direct link to the modified script, but updated the version linked to from my blog. Please run that version and report the output.

Last edited by i♥cabbages; 02-20-2009 at 05:57 AM.
i♥cabbages is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #81
samtheeagle
samtheeagle is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS505
I hope this might help those having issues here... I figured that I would just post what I did yesterday, step by step in the hope that it'll clear up some issues people are having...

Others have said that you might need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package, this wasn't the case for me, as I already had it. If you're not sure do it anyway. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Install Python 2.6, I use ActivePython on windows:http://downloads.activestate.com/Act...-win32-x86.msi

Then install PyCrypto. I used the latest version, the exe style installer.
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/download...in32-py2.6.exe

Install Adobe Digital Editions.
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/
Once this is installed you'll be prompted about "activating" it. This must be done to create your own personal key that the DRM remover uses. You can use either of the activation options, I selected the "this machine only" one rather than create an account.

Once all of this is done you should be ready to go!

---
Edit: Detailed info on how to use the DRM tool removed. It's our forum policy. Thanks for your understanding.
---

That should be it! The created ePub file will be all squeaky clean, ready for use in any way you see fit

I hope this helps anyone who has been having difficulties, it's what I did and it worked first time...

My instructions were too detailed with regards the the running of the actual scripts :S I hope the info that remains is still of use to people. My only intention was to help those having difficulties!

Last edited by samtheeagle; 02-20-2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Specific DRM tool instruction removed // alex
samtheeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:54 AM   #82
samtheeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by i♥cabbages View Post
You definitely don't need ActivePython. Please uninstall it first and re-run the Python 2.6 installer to make sure Python scripts are associated with Python 2.6.
I just wanted to clear this point up a little... YOU NEED a Python 2.6 installation. ActivePython is just a particular distribution which works well in windows. It's what I have used for years, and it is definitely suitable for these scripts.

Obviously there are other distros too, you only really want one of them installed at a time!

And by the way, DOOOOOD! You're totally awesome for coming up with these scripts, very, very much appreciated!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:57 AM   #83
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I'm just wondering if this news will be harmful to the epub format. I guess publishers won't be so eager to adhere to an already cracked format for their precious ebooks.

At least until they convince themselves that DRM-free ebooks are the way to go.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I'm just wondering if this news will be harmful to the epub format. I guess publishers won't be so eager to adhere to an already cracked format for their precious ebooks.
It's certainly harmful for users, many of whom will become criminals by using this tool.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:58 AM   #85
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post

At least until they convince themselves that DRM-free ebooks are the way to go.
That is probably a good thing. The bad thing with this tool is that people will buy DRM:ed bookd or borrow them from libraries and therefore showing there support for DRM.

And if you are going to borrow a book from a library and then keep it it would be easier just to download (maybe illegally) a clean version from some distribution site. This is much better since then you do not show a support for DRM:ed books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 AM   #86
i♥cabbages
Leafy greens connoisseur
i♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's certainly harmful for users, many of whom will become criminals by using this tool.
Was it harmful for Thoreau to "become a criminal" by refusing to pay his poll taxes?
i♥cabbages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by i♥cabbages View Post
Was it harmful for Thoreau to "become a criminal" by refusing to pay his poll taxes?
Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #88
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
It works, but it's very fussy, as I discuss over here. If you even install a plugin for Acrobat, it will break this. Plus, it doesn't export the bookmarks or "named destinations" in the file, so links break. All in all, it'll be very nice if ilovecabbages just gets his method working for PDFs as well. And then Topaz! Heck, I'd be willing to donate $50 to THAT cause...
I tried that before - didn´t work for me (and I use Adobe 6).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #89
samtheeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sadly as things stand this is the case. But as the DRM dealers already assume that all end users are criminal anyway...

I am more than happy to pay a reasonable price for a decent product, and I think 99% of people feel the same way. The trouble with DRM is that we're paying too much for a crippled product.

Before these DRM removal tools existed I resigned myself to downloading illegal copies I point blanky refuse to buy DRM products. Now that these scripts exist I have happily purchased the same books from reputable retailers, and then clean them up so that I can use them as I see fit e.g. With the Calibre software. I'm not about to share them with the world, and cause anyone a loss of profit! In fact these tools have helped the publishers and authors get sales they otherwise would not have!

It's sad that the assumption is that we're all untrustworthy and that we need to be boxed into an inconvenient corner to keep us under control. DRM prevents sales and encourages piracy, I'm proof of it!

It's a well known fact, apparent to everyone except those push DRM.

Last edited by samtheeagle; 02-20-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #90
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by samtheeagle View Post
Sadly as things stand this is the case. But as the DRM dealers already assume that all end users are criminal anyway...

I am more than happy to pay a reasonable price for a decent product, and I think 99% of people feel the same way. The trouble with DRM is that we're paying too much for a crippled product.

Before these DRM removal tools existed I resigned myself to downloading illegal copies I point blanky refuse to buy DRM products. Now that these scripts exist I have happily purchased the same books from reputable retailers, and then clean them up so that I can use them as I see fit e.g. With the Calibre software. I'm not about to share them with the world, and cause anyone a loss of profit! In fact these tools have helped the publishers and authors get sales they otherwise would not have!

It's said that the assumption is that we're all untrustworthy and that we need to be boxed into an inconvenient corner to keep us under control. DRM prevents sales and encourages piracy, I'm proof of it!

It's a well known fact, apparent to everyone except those push DRM.
I didn't see that problem. I bought over 130 drmed pdfs and was after some time very angry that I can't use it on my ebook readers.

I also have seen the other effect that people who got the ebook version of a book bought afterwards the paperback book.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adept, adobe epub drm, ainept, drm, drm removal, drm-free epub, inept