Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #661
Sarah-Bookworm
Distinctive Book Diva!
Sarah-Bookworm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My aim is to read 50 books before the end of this year.

I'm hoping to break my Women's Fiction addiction by throwing in some mystery and suspense novels but that Chick Lit just keeps creeping back in! lol
Sarah-Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #662
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I just past sixty books in my quest to reach my goal. Twenty-Five books left.
Congratulations. You're on track to meet your target.

I'm a bit behind-hand, although I don't regret my Georgette Heyer sale purchases.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #663
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I got pretty behind a month or so ago, but now I'm slowly catching up. I was at worst about 5 books behind schedule, but now I've caught up to about only 2 books behind.

I am now realising though that I might have to go above and beyond my page count goal for the year to complete the rest of my challenge, which is to read a set of particular books this year. My initial goals were supposed to be symbiotic and harmonious but it's not working out that way.

I had decided on 13,000 pages, split into 50 equal sections of 260 pages each. I had decided on that by deciding on 50 books for the year but wanting to count by pages instead for a fairer count, and then decided that 260 is a good number for average pages per book, and multiplied by 50 it came out to the nice clean number of 13,000.

So with the thinking of "50 books" in mind, even though I was counting by pages instead, I came up with a to-read challenge list. There were 13 pre-selected books and around 24 unknown books to be read for two book clubs. That equaled 37 and left 13 more to choose as the year went on, to reach 50 actual books, but since I was counting pages I thought I may choose more or less than 13 more through the year and that was my safeguard to make both parts of my challenge cohere.

However, it's turning out that I'm reading many books that are much longer than 260 pages, so looking at what's still to be read, I think I'm going to have to go above 13,000 pages to read everything I challenged myself to read this year. It'll be interesting to see if I can achieve both parts of this challenge!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #664
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
However, it's turning out that I'm reading many books that are much longer than 260 pages, so looking at what's still to be read, I think I'm going to have to go above 13,000 pages to read everything I challenged myself to read this year. It'll be interesting to see if I can achieve both parts of this challenge!
It sounds like you can still make it and it looks like you will have a better starting point for next year or at least for creating next year's goals by getting a more accurate average page count for the books you read. My average page count is between 300 (last year) and 320 (this year so far), I had originally though it would be around 250 because of all the short stories I am reading on the Kindle; apparently the longer books more than make up for the short ones.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #665
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks; I hope so. Yeah, next year I'll definitely be reworking my challenge. Same as you, I knew I'd read a few longer books but thought the short stories and shorter books would make up for it, but that turns out not the be the case.
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #666
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
My 2013 Goal(s).

For the pats 2 years I've told myself to set my goal to 50 books, but then I ended up piling on to it in a case of "my eyes being bigger than my stomach". So next year I'm sticking to 50 books, period, with the only provision being that I read/finish any series that I have not read/finish from my list this year.

I will track the number of pages read simply out of curiosity.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #667
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just finished book number 57 for this year. This next one will take me a while though.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #668
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
For the pats 2 years I've told myself to set my goal to 50 books, but then I ended up piling on to it in a case of "my eyes being bigger than my stomach". So next year I'm sticking to 50 books, period, with the only provision being that I read/finish any series that I have not read/finish from my list this year.

I will track the number of pages read simply out of curiosity.
I set mine to 50 this year, and when I hit that last week I was so tempted to increase it but I finally let it go.

Next year I don't think I'm going to have a number goal at all. I'll set the GR widget for tracking purposes, but I want to do something different. (In addition to our perpetual series challenges, that is. )
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #669
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
...I will track the number of pages read simply out of curiosity.
I like this idea!

I'm still tossing around a few different possibilities for my challenge next year. I know I'd like to have a pre-selected "to read" list again that will probably cover at the very least more than half of what I read next year, so in a way pages read doesn't seem so necessary since so many books will be pre-selected with therefore a pre-selected amount of pages, but I have really enjoyed counting and seeing how many pages I've read this year per day/week, and it still just feels so much fairer counting pages.

So one idea for me that I just thought of with your post is that I could just have a "to read" challenge list that equals a particular number of books, and then still track pages as well just for fun.

Well, there's still a few more months to think on it.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #670
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^Few more months! I've been working on mine since the beginning of July.

I've read some pretty light books when it comes to pages (actually they look long, but aren't when based on page count.)

H.G. Wells In The Days of the Comet at 276 was a far bigger read than Diane Duane's So You Want to Be a Wizard at 394 pages. Pages are pretty useless, but I do use them to guage pacing of books and my progress on my reading.

Currently, I'm 142 days ahead of schedule.

As sun surfer alluded to, the only thing that actually matters is am I reading or did I read what I wanted to. Whether that is a set out list way before the year starts or just ends up being random things along the way doesn't matter. The challenges have got me reading every day. Many thanks to the challenge creators!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #671
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished book #97 this morning. I don't think I'll have any problems hitting 100 books read. But I'm rather disappointed in my overall book quality. Too many contemporary SF and Mystery books, too few Classics or Non-Fiction. OTOH, I read for enjoyment mostly, so hard to argue with what I enjoy.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #672
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished book #97 this morning. I don't think I'll have any problems hitting 100 books read. But I'm rather disappointed in my overall book quality. Too many contemporary SF and Mystery books, too few Classics or Non-Fiction. OTOH, I read for enjoyment mostly, so hard to argue with what I enjoy.
I feel this way a lot too. I keep thinking that I should read more non-fiction or classics or "literature", but I never read much of it. I do enjoy what I do read though, so I am happy.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #673
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
. . .Next year I don't think I'm going to have a number goal at all. I'll set the GR widget for tracking purposes. . .
Christa what GR widget?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #674
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^There's a GoodReads widget you can get to if you log in:

Goodreads Widgets

It will list all the available widgets and give the html code for embedding it on your blog or website or whatever.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #675
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Christa what GR widget?
Just that Goodreads challenge graphic that shows the books goal and progress.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote