Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #16
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
Just a comment from Spain

As a spaniard I comment the news on my blog http://mipapyreebookreader.blogspot....algo-util.html

The facts: publishers asked for it because digital books make 8% volume for publishing industry, which is quite strong because of Hispanic America trade.
The legal trick is made by applying the priviledged VAT rate of 4% for "cultural goods". The "digital book" is treated as "book" instead of beign treated as "digital". That makes a 12% discount difference from the universal rate of 16%.

"Underground" commentators say that the ministry of culture, Gonzalez-Sinde, former movie director, has done this in order to be more popular with the websphere, which has been very active against her because her opposition to P2P, SGAE copyright protection taxes, and other non popular measures.
She was called "SINDEscargas" (a joke with her family name meaning "No downloads")
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:12 AM   #17
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "it looks good for publishers". Nobody makes any "profit" out of VAT - you just collect it from your customers, and pay it to the government. The VAT rate affects the price that people pay for your product, but it doesn't affect in the slightest the amount of money that the seller ends up with.
Perhaps in an ideal world. And I've explained bad sorry, better for retailers. My doubt: is the retailer going to decrease the price according to the VAT decrease? or is the retailer going to maintain the price and obtain more profits? I've to see it.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #18
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books

Publishers are happy

Well, they count on the increase of sales derived from lower prices.
Retailers usually sell books for prices imposed by the publisher.

But you are right to point that prices are "completely elastic" to VAT in case of increase, but can be a little "inelastic" in case of decrease; meaning that usually 1% up VAT means at least 1% up in prices to the final consumer; and -1% VAT sometimes means 0% difference in final price.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 AM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARdT View Post
Well, they count on the increase of sales derived from lower prices.
Retailers usually sell books for prices imposed by the publisher.
In Spain, I'm afraid always is the same price. "Fixed price book law", but I don't know who fixes the price.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
In Spain, I'm afraid always is the same price. "Fixed price book law", but I don't know who fixes the price.
Here (the Netherlands), the publisher decides upon a fixed price for books and music sheets he is publishing for the first time in a certain format. For books and music sheets that are imported from abroad, the importer sets the fixed price.

Every 6 months the price can be adapted. Books can only be sold under this price if certain conditions are met (such as damage to the books and if the books have been longer than a certain time in the inventory but haven't been bought for another certain time from the publisher).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We used to have such a law in the UK, called the "net book agreement", but it was judged in the courts to be "anticompetitive" many years ago, and abolished.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #22
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Yay! Spain finally made the headlines in something related to ebooks! I am so proud of my country.

By the way, does anyone know if the law that fixes book prices also applies to ebooks?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #23
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Yay! Spain finally made the headlines in something related to ebooks! I am so proud of my country.

By the way, does anyone know if the law that fixes book prices also applies to ebooks?
No, I don't know, but don't worry, if it doesn't apply know, it will apply soon
Old 12-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #24
raulf
raulf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
A case in Point:

The spanish e-retailer leer-e has a book collection called Palabras Mayores. The price of these books, including VAT, when the VAT was 16% was €5 each. Today, they already charge the new 4% VAT (you can see for yourself adding one to the shopping cart), so the new final price of the books is ... you guessed it, €5.

Now, €5 is a really low price, so this isn't the worst case of "greedy" booksellers, and i can understand them doing that, nevertheless is a typical case of "new VAT, old price".
raulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

Here, it doesn't. But not that you'd notice, they are the same price or more expensive than pbooks. Even though they are officially allowed to play with the price...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #26
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulf View Post
A case in Point:

The spanish e-retailer leer-e has a book collection called Palabras Mayores. The price of these books, including VAT, when the VAT was 16% was €5 each. Today, they already charge the new 4% VAT (you can see for yourself adding one to the shopping cart), so the new final price of the books is ... you guessed it, €5.

Now, €5 is a really low price, so this isn't the worst case of "greedy" booksellers, and i can understand them doing that, nevertheless is a typical case of "new VAT, old price".
An example of inelasticity of price in relation to a VAT decrease
Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulf View Post
A case in Point:

I'd suggest contacting them, and asking why they've increased the price of their books.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #28
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:

No, the VAT remains at 16%, they are considered as electronic consumer goods

(o como se diga :-) )

regards
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksor View Post
No, the VAT remains at 16%, they are considered as electronic consumer goods

(o como se diga :-) )

regards
Sorry, I thought that the whole purpose of this thread was that the VAT rate on eBooks had been reduced to 4%?

We are talking about eBooks, not eBook Readers here.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #30
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, I thought that the whole purpose of this thread was that the VAT rate on eBooks had been reduced to 4%?

We are talking about eBooks, not eBook Readers here.
It's a typical Spanish mistake Our newspapers call eBook to the book and the device