Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
perler
Enthusiast
perler began at the beginning.

Device: perler
approach to conversion in calibre

I am using calibre quite a long time and still find the approach to conversion a bit awkward, maybe the dev(s) can think about it. this is mainly about autoconversion:

the situation for most users is this, I think: you have a kindle and some other device, which most of the time can display books in epub format. so, whenever you import a book into the library, in the end you need these two formats.

right now, the autoimport menu reads: "automatically convert added books to the current output format". Nowhere is specified what the current output format is, experience tels me it is the format last converted to - and this may change, so this option is a bit useless.

why not instead have an option:

automatically convert books in these formats:

[X ] mobi
[X] epub
[ ] ...

and whatever format you import, in the end you have books converted into these formats?
perler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The current output format is defined in Preferences->Behavior.

And why should mobi and epub be special? Why not EPUB and PDF? Or HTMLZ and DOCX? Or X and Y?

In any case, if you are using calibre to send your books to a device, there is no need to autoconvert at all. calibre will autoconvert the files to the format supported by the device when you click the send to device button.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
perler
Enthusiast

ok, I see the option for the preferred format, but this doesn't help if the preferred format is set to mobi and you add books in mobi format and need another format for your books as well (say .DOCX)

MOBI and EPUB was an example. I thought my options mock up made this clear.

I don't send the books to a device but download them onto the device via web browser, so I need to have the formats available for download.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
search
Code:
not formats:docx
Select all: then bulk convert to docx

Your workflow is not mainstream. Calibre's automated functions support mainstream users. Your use is easy to accomplish manually in the current Calibre.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
perler
Enthusiast

I am not sure why you feel the need to offer a "solution". Please read the second sentence in my OP and compare to your last one. hint automatic != manual.

I was simply pointing out a perceived flaw in UX design (one of many) and suggested a different approach.
Advert
Old 07-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by perler View Post
I am not sure why you feel the need to offer a "solution". Please read the second sentence in my OP and compare to your last one. hint automatic != manual.

I was simply pointing out a perceived flaw in UX design (one of many) and suggested a different approach.
You asked to have something fixed.

My 2 preferred formats are: AZW3 EPUB
Since I typically connect my K4, it (the driver) takes care of forcing a conversion if a K4 type format does not exist.

Fot those books that view better on my TAB, "I" do the conversion when needed since I tend to use CC or the browser, and as you noted, you only get to pick from existing formats.
So the 'solution' I use, is to plan ahead.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by perler View Post
You could have asked for a feature for your use case politely, and I might have entertained it. That sentence means you just killed my motivation to do so.

Oh and just a hint for the future, when software does not conform to your use case, that is not a flaw, it just means it prioritizes other use cases. You will get much further if you realize that and not try and sell your needs using hyperbole.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote