Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
elearner
elearner began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Converting Maths Symbols from Word to epub

I have a Word (2007) document with some Maths symbols and equations which I want to convert to epub. The epub document does not display the Maths symbols either on the Calibre viewer or on my Nook.

However, if I save the document as a html file using Word, and then convert it, I can see the Maths symbols on the Calibre viewer, but not on my Nook.

I have extracted a short section to display the problem.

I cannot send either docx or html files to you, so have saved the Word file as doc. (Calibre does not convert doc files however). So am attaching

mathsextract.doc - the original word file converted to doc
mathextract.epub - the converted Word file
mathestract web Unknown.epub - the converted html file
log1 - the log file for the first conversion
log2 the log file for the second conversion

Any help gratefully received

Attached Files
File Type: doc mathsextract.doc (36.0 KB, 226 views)
File Type: doc log1.doc (33.0 KB, 204 views)
File Type: doc log2.doc (32.5 KB, 215 views)
File Type: epub mathsextract.epub (128.9 KB, 236 views)
File Type: epub mathsextract web - Unknown.epub (130.1 KB, 205 views)
elearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Conversion of math in word documents is not supported. If you want to get the html exported from word to work on your ebook reader, you will probably need ot embed the appropriate fonts into the epub, look in the look & feel section of the conversion dialog for that. But, that may or may not work, depednding on exactly how the html is created by word.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
elearner

Thanks for that.

But what is odd is that if I convert the document to HTML with Word, and then convert that to epub with Calibre, the maths all appears in the epub document when I view it with the calibre viewer (mathsextract web.epub), but when I move the file to my Digital Editions and my Nook, the symbols vanish.

Is there any way I can get them to remain in that transfer?

Also, strictly speaking, it is not actually maths, but just combinations of symbols; and the - +, - etc reproduce fine, it is the Greek symbols, psi, theta, etc that are getting lost in the transition.

Last edited by elearner; 07-28-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
This probably means that the necessary font is present on your PC but not the other devices. If you select the option to embed the fonts during conversion it may resolve the problem. You must also on the reading device make sure that you are using the publisher font to enable the embedded fonts to be used.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by elearner View Post
But what is odd is that if I convert the document to HTML with Word, and then convert that to epub with Calibre, the maths all appears in the epub document when I view it with the calibre viewer (mathsextract web.epub), but when I move the file to my Digital Editions and my Nook, the symbols vanish.
As Kovid mentioned above, the fonts are not available on your Nook. If they do show up on the viewer, your PC has the fonts installed. To get them to work on the Nook, they will need to be embedded in the epub.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
elearner

But they don't appear on Digital Editions even though that is on my PC?

Also, not sure what publisher font is. The Word document is an original document wrtten on Word.

But I guess what you are saying it that you wouldn't start from here! However, this is a 120 page document (written by my partner) which we would like to turn into an e-book. There are a large number of cross-references, it would be very difficult to start all over again.

But if we did, what would you suggest?
Old 07-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Also, not sure what publisher font is. The Word document is an original document wrtten on Word.
This means whether you should use the fonts specified by the publisher, or restrict yourself to a default fonts and style sheets on the reading device and ignore those specified in the eBook..
Old 07-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
elearner

Ok. I tried checking the "embed referenced fonts" in the Look and Feel box, but it didn't help.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
elearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
This means whether you should use the fonts specified by the publisher, or restrict yourself to a default fonts and style sheets on the reading device and ignore those specified in the eBook..
The document does not have a "publisher". It was written n Word by my partner and I am trying to convert it to an ebook.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
elearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
As Kovid mentioned above, the fonts are not available on your Nook. If they do show up on the viewer, your PC has the fonts installed. To get them to work on the Nook, they will need to be embedded in the epub.
Ok. I tried checking the "embed referenced fonts" in the Look and Feel box, but it didn't help.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
The document does not have a "publisher". It was written in Word by my partner and I am trying to convert it to an ebook.
It does have a publisher - you!

The question is whether the reading device has an option to ignore a formatting you have specified (including embedding fonts) or should obey any formatting you have specified. Not all ereader devices have such a setting - but many do and have ignoring your formatting as the default.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
elearner

I have possibly found a solution, albeit not a very elegant one.

If I use the edit function on Calibre to edit the HTML document, and use Find and Replace to exchange the code in the HTML file which represents a specific symbol with the actual symbol from the editor library, the symbols now appear in both Digital Edition and the Nook. I'm not sure if all the symbols are in the Calibre but if so, I guess that will fix it.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
elearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It does have a publisher - you!

The question is whether the reading device has an option to ignore a formatting you have specified (including embedding fonts) or should obey any formatting you have specified. Not all ereader devices have such a setting - but many do and have ignoring your formatting as the default.

Sorry - a bit above my level of expertise. The Word document was in Times New Roman which is the default font on my partner's so presumably that is the publisher's specified font. I don't think any font has been embedded (at least not knowingly!).

Not sure where I go from here, though you will see above I have found a rather messy way of dealing with it.

I guess I need to learn more about HTML and Word and epub formats. Or not........

But thanks for your help.

Last edited by elearner; 07-28-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 AM   #14
elearner

Clearly, starting a math or physics book in Word is not the set option for producing an e-book in these fields.

How would you suggest doing so next time?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Clearly, starting a math or physics book in Word is not the set option for producing an e-book in these fields.

How would you suggest doing so next time?

Thanks
Dr. Don Knuth wrote T[sub]E[/sub]X because printers mangled his Math books

I am not sure that T[sub]E[/sub]X is a good source option? I will let experts step up

I do remember reading that Calibre had some support for Math Jax https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...65&postcount=1

Last edited by theducks; 07-29-2014 at 09:07 AM.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote