Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
JimLL
Cynic
JimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle
The non-issue

In the last hour or two I was editing a file in Sigil. I exited Sigil, restarted it later and reloaded the epub - just like experts here said to do.

One of the previously marked chapter headings had lost its heading attribute. I clicked on it and reset it.

Thereupon, the entire document from that point down to the next-to-last paragraph was set to BOLD. I tried several ways to get it not to do that, but couldn't. So now I have to go BACK to the original HTML FILE and start all over again.

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was talking about when I said the HTML file should be updated as Sigil goes along.

Of course some people here screamed bloody murder about that, saying all sorts of idiotic things to me and about me because of that suggestion/complaint.

I did reply that THINGS HAPPEN with computers. Apparently no one denied that. Neither did anyone want to fix it.

Also I do know how to get around the problem. I could go through the several hundred paragraphs, one at a time as per Sigil procedure, and de-format them all, killing the BOLD attributes. Not gonna happen.

Like I said from early on. It would be SO EASY to code an HTML save. But, of course, that would be entirely terrible.

Now y'all can start all over again, thinking up new reasons why Sigil should NEVER SAVE the HTML - why the status quo is so very much better than saving it. If it had been saved it probably would not have gone down the tubes with the EPUB and I wouldn't have to start all over again.

Oh, but I forgot. IT'S FREE!!!! So everything's A-OK. No problem here! My mistake!
JimLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLL View Post
So everything's A-OK. No problem here! My mistake!
Cool, glad everything worked out for you.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
Yeah it sucks when that happens, thats why I manually save quite frequently with any software I use free or paid (for me Word and Photoshop seem to crap the bed more often than Sigil even though I use them less). I would never trust an autosave to do for me what I should be doing for myself. I would much rather have the developers spent their limited time fixing bugs and adding useful features than spend time on something I have no use for.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Autosave will work perfectly the one time you DON'T want to save (the horrendous mistake you just made ) .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It sounds like you are working in book view. I thought a lot of the advice here was to work in code view mode..
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
someone please give him a copy of notepad++ & tell him to go develop with that instead.
I'm sure its authors will love hearing from him

PS & explain about the "undo" button for book view mistakes
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Why would you go through it one at a time, instead of using search and replace, starting at the point where the bold starts, in code view?

If it is complicated, you can use regex, examples of which are on a sticky. You might want to make sure HTML Tidy is always off, since it can create problems.

It may be a defect with your underlying HTML, especially if it comes out of some word processor which adds many things that are useful to it, but useless otherwise.

Next time, if there is a next time, if you reload and see something is not bolded, perhaps you should look at the underlying code and see what is there already FIRST. Sigil tries to create conforming code. If you try to insert something that can not be put within existing code, Sigil will try its best, but nothing is error proof given sufficiently bad underlying HTML.

I do NOT want autosave. When I am trying to resolve a problem, I often try something which sounds good at the time, but which creates code that is not conforming and just plain wrong. Whether it is a block of HTML or epub, which is very similar, saving a mess does not solve the problem.

What does solve it is a small mouse action to save at the end of each corrected chapter. In your case I would save as epub1, epub2, etc. If you took that extra step, it would be dead simple to look at your last successful version versus the current one and you would know what is going wrong.

If it is Sigil related, the developers have been good about correcting any correctable problem. If it is a spaghetti HTML problem, then you might be better off saving text out of whatever source you are getting your material and save yourself a lot of aggravation.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The Book View editor has already been ripped out and replaced with a different component. Issue's like the OPs are very much the reason the component is being replaced. Any issues with the existing BV editor are a non-issue because it's gone.

Auto save is all well and good but in this case it wouldn't help at all. It probably would have auto saved with the state of not having the heading. A component that properly formats text in BV is a better investment of time at this point.

The OPs issue is he doesn't understand the EPUB format or apparently HTML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLL
In the last hour or two I was editing a file in Sigil. I exited Sigil, restarted it later and reloaded the epub - just like experts here said to do.

One of the previously marked chapter headings had lost its heading attribute. I clicked on it and reset it.

Thereupon, the entire document from that point down to the next-to-last paragraph was set to BOLD. I tried several ways to get it not to do that, but couldn't. So now I have to go BACK to the original HTML FILE and start all over again.
You opened the EPUB, a heading was missing, you tried to fix it using BV and it didn't work. Use undo to revert your changes. Once you've done that switch to CV and add <h1> and </h1> around the heading text.

Having to reload the original HTML from scratch is an asinine solution. The OP even stated that he had stared from a saved copy of the EPUB. If you got so far in that you couldn't undo why not just reopen the EPUB save you started with and again just add 9 characters in CV to add the heading back.

Also, before anyone asks there is no ETA on when 0.6.0 with the new BV is released. It's being worked on and when it's complete there will be a beta then a release.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Also, before anyone asks there is no ETA on when 0.6.0 with the new BV is released. It's being worked on and when it's complete there will be a beta then a release.

That seems fair
Old 04-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
The Book View editor has already been ripped out and replaced with a different component. Issue's like the OPs are very much the reason the component is being replaced. Any issues with the existing BV editor are a non-issue because it's gone.

Auto save is all well and good but in this case it wouldn't help at all. It probably would have auto saved with the state of not having the heading. A component that properly formats text in BV is a better investment of time at this point.

The OPs issue is he doesn't understand the EPUB format or apparently HTML.
YES. THAT IS THE ISSUE.

The entire rest of the discussion is UTTERLY MOOT, we are all wasting our breath and fingertips.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
This is a non-post : but I can't wait for the threads about "but the editor keeps doing everything wrong!", once they get to enjoy the 'wonders' of an over-complex, non-native editor component—and—oh my God—it's full of non-issues!
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
This is a non-post : but I can't wait for the threads about "but the editor keeps doing everything wrong!", once they get to enjoy the 'wonders' of an over-complex, non-native editor component—and—oh my God—it's full of non-issues!
Yes I know you hate the idea of BV. Also, do realize that in <= 0.5 the BV component's functionality is mostly implemented in Javascript. The renderer in the new one is the same.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Yes I know you hate the idea of BV. Also, do realize that in <= 0.5 the BV component's functionality is mostly implemented in Javascript. The renderer in the new one is the same.
Joining a broken-split paragraph is so simple in BV.
In CV I would need to :
remove the trailing </p>, add a space and remove the Leading <p class...>

Most other stuff, I do in CV... With a quick switch to see how bad I messed it up
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Joining a broken-split paragraph is so simple in BV.
In CV I would need to :
remove the trailing </p>, add a space and remove the Leading <p class...>

Most other stuff, I do in CV... With a quick switch to see how bad I messed it up
yes, I use BV a lot for that kind of quick fix - esp. the splits that are hard to pick up in regex
-like Mr.
Smith wanted his linebreak removed, so did Dr.
Jones....
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Autosave will work perfectly the one time you DON'T want to save (the horrendous mistake you just made ) .
Oh, ain't that just the truth!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote