Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
digitalmunkey
digitalmunkey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post Prospective buyer with a few questions

Hello everyone,

I have done the online research and have decided that perhaps the IQ is the ideal entry level device for me.

I have a few questions that I would like answers to please. I have looked here in the forums for the information I want but there is a lot of it and I am slightly confused.

Firstly, Which firmware update is the latest? Has the issue of allowing apps to run from a memory card been resolved? Is the IQ capable of text reflow of pdf files? What version of Android is the IQ now running?

Your time and assistance is much appreciated!!!

Peter
digitalmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The IQ firmware is much improved over the original but it is still android 2.0.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
digitalmunkey

Hi fjtorres

Hi fjtorres,

Thanks for your reply! I ordered the IQ yesterday here in Helsinki and should get it within 5 work days

I am still having problems understanding the firmware. I have tried searching for it, but keep landing on Russian language pages Presuming I eventually find a page in English which version of the firmware is the latest?

Much appreciated
Peter
Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmunkey View Post
Presuming I eventually find a page in English which version of the firmware is the latest?
2.1.1, from the looks of it.

That's the US page. Not sure how firmwares work for the IQ for different regions (Sony is very particular that US firmware should not go on EU readers), but hopefully it gives you a starting point.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Hi,

congrats to your new reader. The current official firmware for the IQ is 2.1.1 with 2.1.2 in the pipe and presently available for betatesting , but not sure where to get this.
All available FW can be found here (there should be a page for the baltic but link is not working)

2.1.1 comes with a DRM capable readersoftware by PB and works quite flawless, for the previous Version 2.0.6 DRM doesn't come natural, but there are a lot of tweaks available here on the forum, so you can get at least access to the Android market (and get DRM capable software like Aldiko 2.0 from there), store apps on your SD card, root the device and so on.
I made a small bundle of flashable tweaks for version 2.0.6 some time ago (click) but if you want to do this you'll have to read some more threads or PM me
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
digitalmunkey

Hi ScalyFreak

Thanks for your feedback and link. I think you may be right about the regional issue. I just cannot find any pages in English that states Europe.

Peter
Old 10-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
digitalmunkey

Troll05, thanks for your help and advice, it is much appreciated!
Im not sure what firmware version will come with the IQ, so I would like to ask if I will have to install all previous firmware releases or can I just jump to the latest?

Thanks again
Peter
Old 10-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
marf
Enthusiast
marf began at the beginning.

Device: PB701, PB360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
The current official firmware for the IQ is 2.1.1 with 2.1.2 in the pipe and presently available for betatesting , but not sure where to get this.
Just for completeness, here's the 212 gamma availability post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=140588

I just saw someone had installed it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
marf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback and link. I think you may be right about the regional issue. I just cannot find any pages in English that states Europe.

Peter
I think you can find a link to the latest EU firmware in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144265
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Troll05, thanks for your help and advice, it is much appreciated!
Im not sure what firmware version will come with the IQ, so I would like to ask if I will have to install all previous firmware releases or can I just jump to the latest?

Thanks again
Peter
If it comes with anything prior 2.0.6 you have to flash that before upgrading to a a 2.1.x version.
Downgrading is never a problem.
If you experience WiFi problems with 2.1.x do a factory reset (Settings-> Privacy -> Factory data reset) first.

Personally I'd stick to a tweaked 2.0.6 have that for over three month and still good. Market access makes it way more comfortable
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
I have been an IQ owner for almost 1 year now... My advice would be to hold off before buying it. The fact the IQ is still at 2.0 is a major disadvantage when it comes to apps compatibility. Also, the lack of open source is another strike against it.

A knowledgeable person could probably get another version of Android working on the IQ (the PD Novel is a good case for this) but it seems the community is too small to harvest support for this.

It does not mean the IQ is not a good piece of hardware... It is really the software that makes it lacking.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Double Post
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
digitalmunkey

Thanks all

Thanks to all of you who have used their time and effort to get me up and running before the arrival of my IQ. You have been a great help!!!!

Peter