Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Thumbs down Articles like this

one here sure make me glad I got a Sony. No spying on my reading habits and books thankyouverymuch!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
one here sure make me glad I got a Sony. No spying on my reading habits and books thankyouverymuch!
Do you have a credit card? Home mortgage? use your computer to do searches? Social Security Card? Drivers License?

Got news for ya.......your info is "out there" and available to any law enforcement agency that wants it.

Or anyone willing to spend a few bucks to find it.

Amazon tracking my book usage is the least of my worries........
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
One more thing. The chart shows that Sony does keep track of your purchases on their ebook store..........AND collects information on customers that use its ebook store......any of this would be turned over to any law enforcement agency wanting it.......
Old 12-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
This is one of several reasons I do not want the 3g wireless on my reader. I do just fine purchasing where ever I want, and putting what I want on my reader. I do not need the device to have 24/7 connectivity to it's mother ship. I do think just about all devices will come with this feature in the future. When that happens I will only buy the ones that allow it to be turned off and left off.

I'm not paranoid, I'm just tired of companies prying their way into every detail of my life (everything from Kroger cards, CVS cards to Product recommendations) so they can market to me.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
All this paranoia about ebook readers. Especially when much more snoop friendly devices are used everyday. If you're concerned avoid your phone (cell and land line), your computer if it is connected to the internet (and for heavens sake don't ever surf or post on the net). Don't use debit or credit cards, don't subscribe to the newspaper or magazines. No Netflix or MP3 downloads or library memberships. The list goes on and on.

Let's get real people.
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

ya know what. owning a sony is just one LESS way they can track me. and i don't buy from the sony store, there are plenty of (cheaper) alternatives, which may or may not give out my data as well. but hey, at least all my eggs aren't in one basket. and don't forget amazon's revoking of 1984 either. don't see sony doing that.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same tire old incomplete stories. If you prefer Sony over the Kindle fine, but using these paranoid stories to support your choice is just not necessary.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Same tire old incomplete stories. If you prefer Sony over the Kindle fine, but using these paranoid stories to support your choice is just not necessary.
Of course, you don't have to register the Sony or use Sony's software to get the Reader going... and Amazon's never deleted books from people's devices before. Oops, they did do that once already.

No matter what other errors the EFF article's made, one thing is quite certain - Amazon CAN remotely kill any books it doesn't approve of on a device, and has already done so once before, so they've both the capability and the willingness to do so. That's enough to get my paranoia-triggers going, more so than Sony or B&N have done to date with their own ebook readers.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Of course, you don't have to register the Sony or use Sony's software to get the Reader going... and Amazon's never deleted books from people's devices before. Oops, they did do that once already.
They did that once only. Now tell the rest of the story of the apology and compensation.

Quote:
No matter what other errors the EFF article's made, one thing is quite certain - Amazon CAN remotely kill any books it doesn't approve of on a device, and has already done so once before, so they've both the capability and the willingness to do so. That's enough to get my paranoia-triggers going, more so than Sony or B&N have done to date with their own ebook readers.
The nook latest Sony have Wi-Fi and new to it, so they didn't have the ability until now. Let's hope they have learned from Amazon's mistake but if you're going to be paranoid, keep your trigger ready.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books

Actually all Amazon did was apologize and say they wouldn't do it again unless they had to. So they are hardly off the hook. There was also a lawsuit from a kid who sued because he lost his classwork when they pulled the book off his Kindle. LOL. "Bezos ate my homework!"
Old 12-29-2009, 01:51 AM   #11
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
They did that once only. Now tell the rest of the story of the apology and compensation.
The fact is that they HAVE done it once, and even if they went and apologized afterwards, they still have access to my device (or rather, the device which I've leased from them) and to the library I have on the device. They have shown the ability to access that library remotely and to delete files remotely. Even Control-Freak-Apple-Computer has refrained from actually employing the killswitches they've implemented in App Store programs and have settled for removing the programs from the App Store's storefront rather than going onto devices to remote-kill the software.

And THAT is what is making me wary - they have the ability, and they've done so once. I don't trust them NOT to do it again, and perhaps to titles which they have no 'rights' to pull (eg: if I have a title from Project Gutenberg sideloaded onto a Kindle which is also available as a for-sale version in Amazon's Kindle Store, they theoretically could pull the sideloaded book off my device with a message telling me to go buy the book instead for $9.99 even if it's a public domain title).

They've said they wouldn't do it again... but it's their unsupported word (there are no legal strictures to bind them to it, or even a written contract which says they can't go and do it again) versus their past actions. I'll consider their past actions to have greater weight than a press release after the fact. Yes, they explained what happened AFTER the fact - but they did basically shoot first, and only after people started complaining did they bother to explain WHY they did it.

Quote:
The nook latest Sony have Wi-Fi and new to it, so they didn't have the ability until now. Let's hope they have learned from Amazon's mistake but if you're going to be paranoid, keep your trigger ready.
The nook and Sony's Wi-Fi allow an unknown level of access - with the nook and presumably the new PRS-900, it allows authentication of the book remotely with the ePub DRM system; but they've yet to demonstrate that they have the ability to delete books remotely versus just deauthorizing them so the file's still on the ebook reader but inaccessible.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #12
crovakiet
crovakiet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS300SC
Quote:

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Amazon did it once already. I don't think I am going to EVER buy ANY version of the Kindle until they get rid of the remote kill switch capability without my authorization. I think most kindle users are fools for even allowing that sort of thing to be on their devices and should be up in arms with amazon about getting rid of the capability. I guess Kindle consumers apparently don't care enough though because if they bothered to actually boycott the Kindle for this explicit reason, then Amazon wouldn't make money off the Kindle and thus would have to stop making the device with this particular 'feature'. Instead of the consumer dictating the features that they want and the company following suit, they are letting the company decide for them and the consumers consequently are led around with a leash.

Sony is no stranger to this either. The sony rootkit on music cds was pretty malicious, but you know what? I didn't buy or support these cds, neither did other consumers. Sony then went on and recalled these particular products off the shelves and gave new versions of the product without the 'feature'.

Speak with your wallet and stop letting companies walk all over you.

Last edited by crovakiet; 12-29-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 AM   #13
ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
I really need to buy stock in tin foil manufacturers. Wow.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
The nook and Sony's Wi-Fi allow an unknown level of access - with the nook and presumably the new PRS-900, it allows authentication of the book remotely with the ePub DRM system; but they've yet to demonstrate that they have the ability to delete books remotely versus just deauthorizing them so the file's still on the ebook reader but inaccessible.
I have some extra tin foil I'd be happy to share with you.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
scottjl
Reader of Books

keep drinking the amazon kool-ade. you may be happy with it, but it's our right no to be. be happy there are organizations like the EFF out there looking for some of your rights or you wouldn't have any at all.
Closed Thread