Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Amazon seems to be raising the ante

I have a regular routine for shopping on Amazon...I see a forthcoming book I am interested in, add it to my cart, and then hit 'save for later'. Every Tuesday I check the cart to see what's been released and then order any Kindle versions that are also available. At any given time, my cart can have as many as 40 books or more in it.

So this morning I was sorting through the cart and realized that all of a sudden, fully HALF of the books can be preordered for Kindle. I am quite sure that was not the case when I added them to the cart. Some of these are books not due out until next March or April! (The next Jim Butcher 'Dresden' book is one of them).

I think it's very interesting that Amazon has suddenly managed to nab so many ebooks for early ordering. Mind you they may also show up in the Sony store, but that Kindle preorder button is sooooo nice, just hit it and when the book is released it will be sent to my Kindle.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
So are you saying you put the hard cover in your cart and the pre-order for the Kindle version pops up?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
I think it's very interesting that Amazon has suddenly managed to nab so many ebooks for early ordering.
I think it's more the fact that publishers/distributors are putting out the info earlier. Pre-order offerings are up at most retailers I've checked.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I wonder if it's the ole' "If you can't Dazzle 'em with Brilliance, Baffle 'em with Bullshit" routine. ie; maybe they'll quite bitchin' about ebook release delays if we let them order it early...?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I think it's mostly a matter of the K progressively getting more attention, and this will only continue to increase, especially with the competition getting fiercer.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I put the book in my cart and then later I look at the product page. The hardcover page will indicate that the Kindle version can be preordered.

And really I do not think the preorder process is 'dazzle' or 'bullshit'...I think it's really nice to be able to hit the preorder button and just turn my Kindle on and get the new ones every Tuesday. It's kind of like opening presents!!! I mean I know I ordered them, but it's like 'Ooooo what came in today???'
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
The hardcover page will indicate that the Kindle version can be preordered.
Usually, but there have been some cases where they didn't get linked for some reason and so folks didn't realize the Kindle version was available.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
patchymama
patchymama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I do something similar... tho I use the universal wishlist instead of the saved cart
patchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:19 AM   #9
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
I had been doing something similar with the cart, but today, I took all the "save for later" cart items and moved them into one of three wishlists: master (for non-book items), Kindle wish List -- book is avail on kindle, but I'm not ready to buy it yet, and wanted on kindle -- book is not avail on kindle but i want it to be. This latter wishlist is public and mysteria keeps track for me of when items become avail on kindle. I wish there was a "save for later" version of the cart for kindle items -- right now I have no way of list a number of items i want on kindle with their costs totalled so I can see what I'm spending before I buy. Either "save for later" on kindle items, or add pricing info to wishlists would do me.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote