Notices

Old 06-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
MarketingGuy
Junior Samples
MarketingGuy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
PDFRead Question for Gurus (Nick?)

Hi all....

I have followed all of the great introductory material posted on this site and am now trying to convert a large PDF file (+25MB) to .prc for Kindle using PDFReader (which is an outstanding utility, by the way). I'm most likely missing a setup step when preparing for the conversion, but the resulting .prc file is only a page-size image (i.e. can't be zoomed to the text level). Is this because I need to OCR the text in PDF stage or am I missing a function that will handle the issue in PDFReader?

Thanks in advance for the assistance and thanks to all who have posted the helpful content. The anti-flame disclaimer is that I have read so much background, this probably simple factor is escaping my brain!

Doug
MarketingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingGuy View Post
Hi all....

I have followed all of the great introductory material posted on this site and am now trying to convert a large PDF file (+25MB) to .prc for Kindle using PDFReader (which is an outstanding utility, by the way). I'm most likely missing a setup step when preparing for the conversion, but the resulting .prc file is only a page-size image (i.e. can't be zoomed to the text level). Is this because I need to OCR the text in PDF stage or am I missing a function that will handle the issue in PDFReader?

Thanks in advance for the assistance and thanks to all who have posted the helpful content. The anti-flame disclaimer is that I have read so much background, this probably simple factor is escaping my brain!

Doug

Doug,

PDFRead will only produce an *image* of the text in the pdf file. Yes, I said an image!

It optionally rotates it, crops it, splits it and enhances it so as to increase the "zoom" level rendered, but no "further" zoom that can be performed on your ebook reader.

There is no *text* in the .prc ebook from the pdf other than a TOC (Table of Contents of links to pages, if present in the .pdf)

PDFRead is primarily useful in preserving the layout of the pdf while trying to increase (zoom) the text to the page's extents, while preserving the aspect ratio, so as to increase the legibilty of the text.

So while you may have misinterpreted the intent of PDFRead, it still may provide you with decent results; enough to read the pdf on your ebook reader (especially if there are images/figures therein)!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
MarketingGuy
Junior Samples
MarketingGuy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ahhhhh, Vivaldi!

Thanks Nick. I was trying to hammer a nail with a saw, apparently. After further playing with MobiPocket Creator, I have had some success converting PDF ==> PRC, and while it whacks out some of the text flow (makes pull-quotes really big, for instance), it does give text that can be sized, etc.
MarketingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingGuy View Post
Thanks Nick. I was trying to hammer a nail with a saw, apparently. After further playing with MobiPocket Creator, I have had some success converting PDF ==> PRC, and while it whacks out some of the text flow (makes pull-quotes really big, for instance), it does give text that can be sized, etc.
It seems your a "handyman" after all; you got your .pdf converted to .prc!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, kindle, ocr, pdfreader