Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Yes, I needed the div, but only to center the image on the screen in ADE/sony.

I was able to remove some default settings (height="100%" width="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet") to trim it down, but I don't know if there is a device out there that HAS to have them. If you want to change the size, not full screen, you will have to have a height=x%

Quote:
<div style="margin:0 auto; text-align:center">
<svg viewBox="0 0 300 380" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.1" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<image width="300" height="380" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpg"></image>
</svg>
</div>
Unfortunately after more experimenting I found it works in Sigil, Sony, and ADE like you said, but the older kindle's, Kindle iOS (and Firefox ePubreader) don't see SVG at all - only the PW and Fires.

Last edited by Turtle91; 02-20-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Yes, I needed the div, but only to center the image on the screen in ADE/sony.

I was able to remove some default settings (height="100%" width="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet") to trim it down, but I don't know if there is a device out there that HAS to have them. If you want to change the size, not full screen, you will have to have a height=x%

Unfortunately after more experimenting I found it works in Sigil, Sony, and ADE like you said, but the older kindle's, Kindle iOS (and Firefox ePubreader) don't see SVG at all - only the PW and Fires.
You do want
Code:
preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"
in order to make sure the aspect ratio is kept.

What does happens when you convert to KF8 and Mobi using Calibre?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I checked and it said that (preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet") was the "default" value so I took it out. But, it doesn't really take up a lot of extra space...it is just one file, so I will put all the defaults back in just to CYA.

When I use Calibre to convert (instead of Kindle Previewer) some different things happen:

convert to AZW3 - as expected, Kindle previewer doesn't even allow selection of the devices that aren't kf8. No other differences noted.

convert to mobi - it shows one of the two svg pages, but the dimensions are all screwed up. The aspect ratio is correct, but the size is huge. Both svg pages had the default values (height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet") defined.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What does Kindlegen do to the ePub when you convert?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

That's what I mentioned before. Kindle Previewer uses kindlegen for conversion does it not??
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
That's what I mentioned before. Kindle Previewer uses kindlegen for conversion does it not??
I have no idea if it does or not.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

I'm pretty sure it does - Previewer uses kindlegen for conversion (by drag and drop - cool!), and then shows how it will look in the different devices. The older kindle's and Kindle iOS don't see the SVG pages at all when I use Kindle Previewer - only the PW and Fires see it.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
If you are just trying to get it to look right in Sigil, then it doesn't seem something to worry about. Clearly its a bug in Qt5, that one day will hopefully be fixed. And as the usual caveat goes - what you see in Sigil is not what you will see on all ereaders...
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
If you are just trying to get it to look right in Sigil, then it doesn't seem something to worry about. Clearly its a bug in Qt5, that one day will hopefully be fixed. And as the usual caveat goes - what you see in Sigil is not what you will see on all ereaders...
Understood - and I agree. I was trying to figure out how to get the image to work properly even under html5 when we can no longer use the % in the scale attribute...just trying to think ahead. If I can get it figured out now - in a way that works for both...then I don't have to worry about it later...and when others have the same question I can point them to this thread.