Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Aluratek Libre Pro vs. Sony PRS-350 - Futher on down the road

Just an aside, but last night I went back to reading on the Aluratek for the first time in a few months. I had been reading on my Sony PRS-350 recently, and I was really surprised to find the reading experience was much easier on my eyes with the Aluratek's screen. It's instantaneous page turns, no black-flashing during turns, better font sizes, and a sharper contrast between screen and text due to a better font choice made the reading experience closer to reading a paper book. Also, the white frame of my Aluratek is less distracting than the brushed aluminum of the Sony. I found the Aluratek more readable in low-light situations.

The Sony's CPU operates much faster, has more options, charges faster, is much thinner and frankly looks cooler, but damn, I'm still happy to have the Aluratek and it was nice to be reminded why I enjoyed it in the first place. I found that the framework of the Aluratek disappears from my field of view when reading on it; the Sony framework never does, especially when it reflects light. One of these days I'll get a skin for it and see if that changes the experience.

I think, though, one of the key pluses about the Aluratek for me anyway, is that there is a better font size choice in the medium-to-large range. The Sony's mid-size fonts are either just a little too small or a little too large for my reading comfort.

Of course, it also took me a while to stop swiping the screen and expecting the page to change.....

Last edited by Xanthe; 03-06-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: correct a typo
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I was really surprised to find the reading experience was much easier on my eyes with the Aluratek's screen.
Xanthe, your testimonial is great to see, but you're preaching to the converted here! Go tell the Kindle and Sony readers of your experience. They won't believe you, but I think it's a public service to let people know that the lesser-priced reflective TFT screen is preferable to the eInk pearl.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
West Virginia
Enthusiast
West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Augen The Book
Do you think the white frame is the best or do you think a black frame may be less distracting? I'm curious here.

Joe
West Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Xanthe, I'd be curious to see how the Sony would fare for you using ePubs with embedded fonts. That should give you the same font on both devices and allow for an apples to apples comparison.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
lisajjb
Enthusiast
lisajjb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Just an aside, but last night I went back to reading on the Aluratek for the first time in a few months. I had been reading on my Sony PRS-350 recently, and I was really surprised to find the reading experience was much easier on my eyes with the Aluratek's screen.
Me too. Been reading on my NookColor for the last 3 months, but I miss the screen on my Libre.
lisajjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
I agree about he Sony 350. My JBL is much easier to read. However I did find an ereader I like and reads as well as the JBL.

About three months ago I bought a Pocketbook 360. It is a dandy. It, too, has a five inch screen but is an e-ink. One interesting thing - it has its own, ingenious, built in cover. Adding fonts is as easy as copying them into the font folder of the PB360. I copied Times, Rockwell. Georgia, Arial Black and Franklin Condensed from my Windows machine font folder. Font sizes range from 10 to 50 in increments of 1, 2 or 4 (don't ask me 1, 2 or 4 what). It is amazing how font selection helps in readability.

It has both the (selectable) FBReader and the Adobe Digital Viewer installed. Below are two links. The first is to a site giving a pretty good run down an the PB360 and the second is where I bought it (price).

The Pocketbook forum has a later version of the FBReader that is pretty nice (not part of the normal Pocketbook update scheme).

http://pocketbook-usa.com/products/pocketbook-360/

http://pocketbook.reader-ebook.org/b...lack-standard/

Regards - John

P.S. I have no financial, or any other kind, of interest in this company nor any of its resellers.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote