Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Question for Kindle Hacking Gurus

I use the freeware version of Easus Partition Manager to clone my hard drives as back up and in case of emergency.

I'm wondering if this would work with Kindles. There are seem to be a few people who have messed up some of the files on their Kindles by either a little too much tinkering or unistalling improperly.

Could software like Partition Manger be used to clone the Kindle prior to installing hacks so that the Kindle can be restored to it's original state should something go wrong? Would it also work on any other ebook readers?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I don't think that any general purpose software would be able to take Kindle snapshots.

However Kindle has Rescue Mode which most likely can completely reflash main Kindle partition block by block.

So to get backup/restore functionality on Kindle you'll need figure out how to do 3 things:
1) Find where main partition is stored on the flash chip and dump it to user accessible partition
2) Figure out how to convert it to binary update format
3) Figure out to to create updates that would install from rescue mode. No one was able to do it so far.

I know a little bit of linux but not enough to do all the things mentioned with reasonable effort.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
I don't think that any general purpose software would be able to take Kindle snapshots.

However Kindle has Rescue Mode which most likely can completely reflash main Kindle partition block by block.

So to get backup/restore functionality on Kindle you'll need figure out how to do 3 things:
1) Find where main partition is stored on the flash chip and dump it to user accessible partition
2) Figure out how to convert it to binary update format
3) Figure out to to create updates that would install from rescue mode. No one was able to do it so far.

I know a little bit of linux but not enough to do all the things mentioned with reasonable effort.
Well that's all way over my head but I see the answer at this time is "no".

Thanks for responding.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
The safest way to build a Kindle Hack is to use the 'mount --bind' way to overwrite any files/folders. A restart of the system is all what you need to restore everything.

Frankly speaking, I'm a little bit surprised that the new 2.3 hack is still using the dangerous 'straight overwrite root files' way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I use the freeware version of Easus Partition Manager to clone my hard drives as back up and in case of emergency.

I'm wondering if this would work with Kindles. There are seem to be a few people who have messed up some of the files on their Kindles by either a little too much tinkering or unistalling improperly.

Could software like Partition Manger be used to clone the Kindle prior to installing hacks so that the Kindle can be restored to it's original state should something go wrong? Would it also work on any other ebook readers?
DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote