Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
anhalvis
anhalvis began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Question Add line spacing between paragraphs?

ex, in sigil (pc):

i'm newbie in this, please help me how to fix it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hyi1.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	120280   Click image for larger version

Name:	j2hy.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	120281  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-15-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Changed oversized graphics to thumbnail attachments.
anhalvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Looks like your epub reader has it's own ideas about paragraph spacing and first-line indents.

If you supply no styling, you'll always be at the mercy of your reader's settings/defaults. And even then, readers like Moon are often set to override a document's styling by default.

Use ADE to see if your epub is behaving the way you want it to. If it is, and your preferred reader app STILL doesn't show you what you expect to see, then you probably need to experiment with your reading app's various override settings.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Check whether your e-reader is overriding the style sheet in the epub.

Apart from that, I have little to offer, having misplaced my mind-reading glasses.

(Which is to say: when asking for help, it is always prudent to supply as many relevant details as possible.)
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhalvis View Post
ex, in sigil (pc):

i'm newbie in this, please help me how to fix it
The key word you want is: Paragraph margin Top or bottom controls the space between adjacent blocks (paragraphs are not the only block type in use). I use margin-top: to do this as it sometimes eliminates a last paragraph followed by a screen blank page condition.

Line-Height is the spacing within the paragraph (block)

FYI If you converted with Calibre you get an either/or choice: Indent and no margin control or no indent and margin control
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
anhalvis
anhalvis began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Thank you, guys. I guess problem here is my epub reader. I changed into using moon+ reader and now it's ok
anhalvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhalvis View Post
Thank you, guys. I guess problem here is my epub reader. I changed into using moon+ reader and now it's ok
I like Moon+
Old 03-23-2014, 03:30 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
FYI If you converted with Calibre you get an either/or choice: Indent and no margin control or no indent and margin control
The following is Off Topic, but your either/or choice is not accurate. My default conversion settings have an indent of 1.1em and a top and bottom margin of .3em.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
The following is Off Topic, but your either/or choice is not accurate. My default conversion settings have an indent of 1.1em and a top and bottom margin of .3em.
I stand 'sorta ' corrected.
It won't let you set the Blank space by using the Paragraphs top/bottom Margins, but rather inserts:[CODE]<p class="calibre#">[& nbsp;</p>/CODE] valid but offends my sense of elegant

You can only use/set Indent (greyed out otherwise) if you tick the remove spacing between paragraphs option

I have a standard paragraph Margin (clip) that I edit into the CSS for normal paragraphs
Code:
margin: .5em 0 0 0;
Old 03-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I stand 'sorta ' corrected.
It won't let you set the Blank space by using the Paragraphs top/bottom Margins, but rather inserts:[CODE]<p class="calibre#">[& nbsp;</p>/CODE] valid but offends my sense of elegant
None of my books have any blank spaces as described

<p class="calibre#">& nbsp;</p>

inserted by calibre. All of my blank spaces between paragraphs are by calibre adding .3em to the top and bottom margins in the CSS. If the original book has those I remove them with Delete blank lines between paragraphs in heuristics.

Quote:
You can only use/set Indent (greyed out otherwise) if you tick the remove spacing between paragraphs option
Right in cases where The book needs help I check both Remove spacing/Indent and Insert blank line. In those cases I also check Ensure scenes breaks are consistently formatted.

The point being you can set indents and top and bottom margins using calibre. Simply check both items. The indent will happen first then the margins added. This doesn't mean it is the best way to do it, but it does not act as you think.

Quote:
I have a standard paragraph Margin (clip) that I edit into the CSS for normal paragraphs
Code:
margin: .5em 0 0 0;
When I just wish to add a blank space I do this as well.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-23-2014 at 09:51 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote