Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Custom Screensaver

Hi there, I am new to the Kobo platform coming from sony/kindle platforms and just picked up an Aura (not HD). I was wondering if I can install a custom screensaver picture that will always show up when my Aura goes to sleep (instead of the current book cover). I did a quick search of this forum but did not find an answer. If someone can either explain if this is possible or point to a relevant post, that would be very appreciated.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No means exists to do this. Sorry.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No means exists to do this. Sorry.
Rats! Thanks for the info.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
coolloser
Enthusiast
coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs-600,T2, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kindle 3G/PW4/PW5/O3
You could use Calibre to replace all of your book covers with the image you want as your standby screen.
coolloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Kobo obviously has the means to display the image formats that are stored as image files in the ebooks. Don't think that anyone has unearthed the code that nickel is using for its suspend function, that should show how it gets the file it displays. From a data base reference most likely. A patch should be possible to change the result to always point to a particular image file. It would be an "if exist" function added to the screensaver/suspend code.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-06-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
On earlier firmwares it was possible to populate the .kobo/images directory yourself. I used this when kobo refused to show book covers properly. 4 images are attached to each book, and one (I think) is only used for the sleep cover. If you changed this image (for each book) to your preferred screensaver, then you could retain the proper images in the library and have your custom screensaver. However, I don't think this would be possible with current (non-touch/mini) firmwares.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You can still change the cover images in the images directory. The driver in calibre has options to do this. But, the same image is used for both the screen saver and covers on the home screen. That could make things confusing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
I wasn't thinking of using calibre. In the images directory, iirc, there are 4 files for each book, with names something like:

file____mnt_onboard_"$DIR"_$COVER - N3_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_"$DIR"_$COVER - N3_LIBRARY_GRID.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_"$DIR"_$COVER - N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed
file____mnt_onboard_"$DIR"_$COVER - N3_LIBRARY_LIST.parsed

I believe that only the N3_FULL file is used as the 'screensaver'. So if you replaced all of the N3_FULL files with your chosen screensaver file, the sleep image would be changed, but all of the images in the library would be unchanged - they would still show the book cover. I can't test this now as I am in the middle of faffing with google drive and don't have any books on the device, but this is the only way I can see of getting this working the way OP wants.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
cosmo666
cosmo666 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-650, kobo aura
hmm... i've just received the new kobo aura, and the thing is that the screensaver is the logo of the shop that sold it. unless kobo writes specific software for every store, this would imply it was simply added at a later time, probably before packing, or even in store, if they are allowed to seal the boxes. this means that there has to be a way to change the image. could it be that unpacking the software would allow one to browse for the picture, and replace it? unfortunately, i've never attempted this before, so i have no ideea if it would work, or how to do it. if you have any ideeas, let me know, and i'll try.

Last edited by cosmo666; 10-30-2013 at 04:52 PM.
cosmo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You could try connecting your Aura to the PC and locating the file \.kobo\affiliate.conf

If you open it in a simple text editor you should see something like
Code:
[General]
affiliate=Kobo
If yours shows a different value for affiliate you could try manually editing it as shown above and saving (make sure you save a copy of the original before editing).

After safely disconnecting from the PC, do a full power off and on again and see whether it gives you what you want. If it doesn't, I'd suggest you revert to your saved original.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
cosmo666

found it, it's affiliate=mondadori (the store name).

changed it to kobo, and now the screen is blank, with a little "sleeping" tag on the lowerleft of the screen (is this the default screensaver for kobo purchased readers?)

-with affiliate=kobo (screesaver)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131031_135851.jpg
Views:	1019
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	114412
(Click to enlarge.)

-with affiliate=mondadori (screensaver)

Name:	20131031_140131.jpg
Views:	1121
ID:	114413
(Click to enlarge.)

(when shut down, it's identical to the screensaver, but inverted colors)
also, during bootup, there's another image with a "kobo in" in place of the symbol, comming out to be "kobo in mondadori".

so there should be at least 2 if not 3 different images hidden somewhere. (i would have agreed to the fact that it could just be a normal font written on a blank screen, but that symbol implies graphics)

any further ideeas of where/how to dig?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-01-2013 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Oversized graphics changed to thumbnail attachments.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #12
cosmo666

added a response yesterday, documenting it with pictures, but it went into "pending aproval status", and it hasn't appeared since.

anyway, i did change the line in affiliate to kobo, and the screensaver was a blank page with "sleeping" written in italics in lower left corner. is that the default screensaver for the readers that have affiliate=kobo from the start, or was it a placeholder in case the screensaver went missing/corrupt?

powered off it was similar, a black page with "powered off" at the bottom.

i changed the line back (by the way, the changes take place instantly, there is no need to restart it after changing just this time, but i did it anyway, to see full process). when i restarted the device, the same savescreen appeared, but with a "kobo in" written before it, in place of a small graphic symbol of the store. also, when shut down, the normal store screensaver appeared,but inverted colors.

i will try to link the pictures after this post to make it clear.

i believe the store-based secreensaver is not a text just thrown over a blank page, but an actual picture due to the graphic in it.

the next order of business would be to find where the image is stored on the device and change it with our image keeping the same format and name, and the device should be able to point to it natively. any ideeas on how to search for it? is there a hidden file that can be decompressed, or something?

L.E. tried to a make a 2nd post with the pics, but it went to aproval instead, so it will take a while untill it's verified. ah well...

Last edited by cosmo666; 11-01-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #13
cosmo666

this is the store screensaver (out of box)

Name:	20131031_140131.jpg
Views:	802
ID:	114416
[Click to enlarge.]

the screensaver after changing to affiliate=kobo

Name:	20131031_135851.jpg
Views:	750
ID:	114417
[Click to enlarge.]

powered off store screen

Name:	20131031_140040.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	114418
[Click to enlarge.]

powering on, the small triangle was changed to a "kobo in". but that made everything all letters, so it may not have been an actual picture. (didnt' manage to take a pic of it, but will if it's required)

so, there should be at least 2 pictures hidden somewhere (the screensaver and the powered off screen)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-01-2013 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Oversized graphics changed to thumbnail attachments.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo666 View Post
added a response yesterday, documenting it with pictures, but it went into "pending aproval status", and it hasn't appeared since....
Hi, cosmo666!

Two of your posts that were in moderation are now approved and online:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2671853

and

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2672744

Cheers!

— Tom
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
cosmo666: That is the screensaver with no options selected. Go into the settings and open the "Sleep, Power and Light" page. This should now have options to use the cover as the screensaver and how big it is. For some of the affiliates, these options are not available.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote