Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #136
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The fonts don't look any different to me. Granted, I do not have anything to compare with. I use my own font anyway.

But the 3 line popup definition alone is worth the upgrade. And nothing got broken. Yay!

Is there a super kf8 sample book that has most or all the advanced features of kf8. I'm curious to see what this thing can do.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #137
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Is there a super kf8 sample book that has most or all the advanced features of kf8. I'm curious to see what this thing can do.
Me too! I am glad that Amazon provided a firmware upgrade to allow this format. I didn't expect it. I would like to know if there is a good example to try, preferably one that is free or isn't very expensive.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #138
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
It’s also moves to the top of the page if you look up a word at the bottom of the page.
It already did that.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #139
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Overally great work :)

Quote:
The fonts don't look any different to me. Granted, I do not have anything to compare with. I use my own font anyway..
They added hinting to the included fonts, unknown if it would amend your custom fonts as significantly as using the newer system fonts.

Books do seem much more crisp.

One surprise was PDF's that were completely illegible previously are now legible at the default 100% scale. Unsure how that works? but it's definitely clearer.
(screenshot for example resolution)

All in I'm happy with the updates. Good work Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_071.png
Views:	647
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	92262  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #140
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Has anyone gotten Whispersync for Voice to work? I grabbed both the free ebook and audible version of A Tale of Two Cities but can't find a way to invoke this new Voice feature.
There are two features when you have paired an audiobook and ebook:

- On Fire HD and the 'upgraded' Fire, there is 'Immersion Reading'. Text highlights as audiobook plays. You don't get this on Kindle Keyboard.
- Whispersync for Voice. Syncs reading position between any Kindle (including tablet Kindles) or Kindle App and Audible app for iOS, Android, or Fire. Presumably between two different Audible apps as well.

I don't think the Audible player on K3/KT participates in Whispersync, or that would have been called out. Nor does the Audible app for Windows Phone, apparently (at least not yet).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #141
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
They added hinting to the included fonts, unknown if it would amend your custom fonts as significantly as using the newer system fonts.

Books do seem much more crisp.

One surprise was PDF's that were completely illegible previously are now legible at the default 100% scale. Unsure how that works? but it's definitely clearer.
(screenshot for example resolution)

All in I'm happy with the updates. Good work Amazon.
I alway found they got more readable if you bumped up the 'Contrast' setting a notch. Maybe that's now the default.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #142
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I don't think the Audible player on K3/KT participates in Whispersync, or that would have been called out.
It's supposed to. From the 3.4 update page (bolding mine):
Quote:
Whispersync for Voice: Now you can switch back and forth between reading and listening without losing your place. Whispersync for Voice will synchronize what you read on any Kindle platform device with Audible playback on Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, or on Audible apps for iPhone and Android.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #143
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
For a grin, I tried it out last night and it worked. synced right up to the page I was on. I do not use it the feature but can the voice speed be slowed down?
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #144
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Okay, good to know. I assume an update for this is coming to Kindle Touch as well. They need to circle back and add KF8 fixed-layout support, parental controls, might as well update the UI to match KPW while they are at it.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #145
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I would like to mention that WhisperSync for Voice is working without 3.4 on K3!
Kindlevarazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #146
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlevarazs View Post
I would like to mention that WhisperSync for Voice is working without 3.4 on K3!
Whoa. Impressive retro-fitting!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #147
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
The fonts don't look any different to me. Granted, I do not have anything to compare with. I use my own font anyway.
Last night I put my GF's Kindle 3 (not updated) next to mine (manually updated) and compared the fonts. I felt like the fonts on hers (old fonts) were better. So I showed it to her and asked which was better, not telling her what changed nor why, and she also chose the old fonts. That said, without the side by side comparison the difference was so subtle that I can barely tell.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #148
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because they want to annoy you, Jon.
As I don't use a Kindle, it doesn't bother me. But it does bother a lot of Kindle users.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #149
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So is the touch going to become the next orphaned device (like the DX)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #150
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So is the touch going to become the next orphaned device (like the DX)?
Not orphaned, just rethought.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote