Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Getting a book onto Nook Tablet so you can access it

I use Calibre to maintain my books and to convert them, I use Sigil to polish them up.
I have tried to transfer epubs from my Calibre Library to the Nook tablet using "Send to Device", since I havn't got a card in it yet. Calibre does the transfer, It shows the books on the device, but when I go the "Library" on the Nook tab the books aren't there. This Tablet is for my granddaughter, I just bought a Nook Color for myself today and loaded the books and found them just fine. I guess because the Color is a dedicated ereader there was no problem. The NC and the NT are so similar though! It seems that they both should behave the same way. IMHO The Nook Color is awesome!
Could someone please help me?
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I don't know what to suggest to you, but I will tell you this: I have a Nook Tablet and I regularly sideload ebooks onto it using Calibre without difficulty and the books appear in the library, so there is something else going on. Hopefully, someone will have a suggestion/answer for you.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Thanks for the reply.
I did find that I was incorrect My book was there all the time But instead of Library I had to access it with "Books".

Your reply brings up an interesting thought though. I have seen this statement before but I don't know what it means: Sideloading. What does sideloading refer to? I just plugged in the tablet, Calibre recognized it and I transferred books like I did my old Sony 505. This is a new term for me. Also what does "rooting" mean?
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
Your reply brings up an interesting thought though. I have seen this statement before but I don't know what it means: Sideloading. What does sideloading refer to? I just plugged in the tablet, Calibre recognized it and I transferred books like I did my old Sony 505. This is a new term for me.
Sideloading is what you do to get books on it. Basically, it means transferring books (or anything else) via USB, rather than buying books from B&N (or whoever made the particular device) directly through the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
Also what does "rooting" mean?
Installing a different operating system than what came on the device. Or, generally, a different variant of the same operating system (mostly, they're Android). The stock, off the shelf OS is generally pretty locked down. On a nook, for instance, you can only buy and run apps through B&N's app store, but if you install a generic version of Android, you can get apps from many different places.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Installing a different operating system than what came on the device. Or, generally, a different variant of the same operating system (mostly, they're Android). The stock, off the shelf OS is generally pretty locked down. On a nook, for instance, you can only buy and run apps through B&N's app store, but if you install a generic version of Android, you can get apps from many different places.
Actually, "rooting" means just gaining access to the root files of the device (the operating system). Rooting allows you to change the ROM (the operating system) or to just install files that normally you wouldn't be able to do.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote