Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
A couple of days ago someone in my family knelt on their Kobo-1 and busted the screen, so I checked how replaceable the battery is.

In theory the battery is replaceable, but you pretty much have to dissemble the entire thing while managing not to break the screen. So you would have to

1. Pry the front off
2. Remove the screen which is held down by scews.
3. Carefully pull the battery free of the tape that is underneath it.
4. Carefully remove the wire from the port.
5. Put the new battery in and put it together again so that it still works.

I wouldn't attempt it.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #17
suzidownunder
suzidownunder began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Post ereader with replaceable battery

hi

Go for the BeBook you can find the website here: http://mybebook.com/

I have the BeBook One for almost three years now and it is perfect.
I replaced the battery with a Nokia one about a year ago.

You can use an SD card for extra storage and you can drag any eBooks (or music/audiobooks) on to it like a USB stick.
No need to be tied to one website for books.

It's a basic eReader with no bells or whistles.

If you want wifi/video etc then BeBook do have more updated models too

suzidownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #18
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
The battery on the Pocketbook 360 is replaceable (as I suspect would some other PB models).
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #19
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
Even kindle touch's is replaceable. Saw the reports on a kindle touch teardown forum. You can get a kit, the battery and a manual for replacing a kindle touch battery for 40 dollars.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's a pretty steep price for a battery replacement.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
That's a pretty steep price for a battery replacement.
It's less than half the price of a new Kindle Touch, so if the Touch is in otherwise perfect condition, it seems like a good investment.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #22
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Onyx Boox i62 & M92 series both have replaceable batteries (available for around 10 Euro from the German dealership). Don't know how easy they are to open up though (no clear indication on my new i62HD, or the manual, as to how/where they open up).
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #23
suzidownunder

replaceable battery for ereader

$40 is a lot to pay - you can get a replacement battery for BeBook for $7 on eBay and pop it in in a few seconds!!

No dismantling - just one screw for the battery cover!!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #24
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I refused to be coerced into buying a new reader by the built-in obsolescence of a difficult to replace battery. So I persuaded a techie friend to change the battery of my prs 505. I bought the replacement battery for very little from Amazon, and he used tools he had handy. I printed out an MS Word doc which I obtained from MR and some pages of a PDF which detailed the relevant parts of the 505 (the pdf was also available from MR).

But I did think that Sony had made the battery so hard to replace to encourage me to spend money on a new model! Why not just have a compartment, easily accessed, where the old battery can be slipped out and a new one slipped in; at most, just a couple of screws to undo?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #25
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
That was the one problem of the PRS-505 as it had no user serviceable battery. Where on the other hand the Sony PRS-900 did have a user serviceable battery via a door on the back of the unit.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #26
suzidownunder

ereaders and batteries

Easy - just buy a Be-Book!

Or..A Samsung Galaxy Note phone! Great size for reading and with its SD card, file management and ability to connect a USB - its as versatile as a net book!!

I ditched a run of three successive iPhones for the Galaxy Note and have never regretted it!!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #27
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
http://www.t3.com/news/txtr-beagle-ready-to-launch
only 10 euros, will be launched in Germany
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote