Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Choose from one of the following books:
The Ginger Man by J. P. Donleavy 4 9.76%
The Night Life of the Gods by Thorne Smith 5 12.20%
Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock 4 9.76%
The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady by Elizabeth Stuckey-French 3 7.32%
Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern 3 7.32%
Mission Earth 1: The Invaders Plan by L. Ron Hubbard 3 7.32%
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole and Walker Percy 3 7.32%
The Princess Bride by William Goldman 9 21.95%
Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow by Jerome K. Jerome 6 14.63%
Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #31
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
That's the first time that both of my nominations made it to the next vote. Who's retireesmith though? They have no posts but have been a member for awhile.

A lurker or SP?

Last edited by The Terminator; 03-26-2012 at 12:38 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And now it's time for the second vote so we can get onto reading The Princess Bride.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #33
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And now it's time for the second vote so we can get onto reading The Princess Bride.
Yeah, that's what I voted for.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The run-off poll is now up. Your choices are The Princess Bride by William Goldman and Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow by Jerome K. Jerome.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more. Us in agreement, what's the world coming to?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. Us in agreement, what's the world coming to?
I'll do you one better. Let's do away with the run-off vote and declare The Princess Bride the winner now.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #37
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
That's the first time that both of my nominations made it to the next vote. Who's retireesmith though? They have no posts but have been a member for awhile.

A lurker or SP?
What is an SP in this context?

Quote:
Maybe? Probably? It only received less than 25% of the votes. I'm just glad the two I would not have read if paid to do so did not make the final cut. Otherwise it's all good.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Sock puppet.

I'll vote for the Jerome since I've never read it; it's not what I would have predicted for second place. I have no problem with Princess Bride, the likely winner.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Come on! How could The Invaders Plan not win? It is so friggin' funny. I think the poll is rigged.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #40
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post

Maybe? Probably? It only received less than 25% of the votes. I'm just glad the two I would not have read if paid to do so did not make the final cut. Otherwise it's all good.
Sock
Puppet

It's a little odd that the person has never posted but has been a member for quite awhile.

I'll be reading The Princess Bride regardless of whether or not it wins. It's one of my favorite movies, so it'll be interesting to see how similar they are. But I'll wait until the vote to decide when I read it, if it wins I'll wait so it can be fresher in my mind when we discuss it. But if it loses I'll read it right away.

Last edited by The Terminator; 03-26-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #41
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Sock puppet.

I'll vote for the Jerome since I've never read it; it's not what I would have predicted for second place. I have no problem with Princess Bride, the likely winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Sock
Puppet

It's a little odd that the person has never posted but has been a member for quite awhile.

I'll be reading The Princess Bride regardless of whether or not it wins. It's one of my favorite movies, so it'll be interesting how similar they are. But I'll wait until the vote to decide when I read it, if it wins I'll wait so it can be fresher in my mind when we discuss it. But if it loses I'll read it right away.
Thanks, I understand now.

It is a moot point as far as the April selection, but I just saw this and decided to attach it while the topic was current.

'Confederacy of Dunces' Author John Kennedy Toole's Inspiration For Ignatius J. Reilly
Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #42
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for that link, Hamlet! That was great!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Come on! How could The Invaders Plan not win? It is so friggin' funny. I think the poll is rigged.

The poll would have been rigged had it won. (IMHO) It's garbage at best.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
John F! Shame on you for baiting poor Jon like that!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
John F! Shame on you for baiting poor Jon like that!
TBH, I am surprised it got three votes. I am surprised it got any votes.