Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Thanks for the heads up!

I've read some of Beverle Graves Myers' Baroque Venice-set opera mysteries from the library and they were pretty decent. I'll be happy to scoop up the sale volume especially at that price and DRM-free and try one or two of the other offerings.
I also liked the Beverle Graves Myers books. I enjoyed the sense of time and place - a time and place I didn't know much about beforehand.

In addition I like the Mary Reed/Eric Mayer series set in the early days of Constantinople. I first picked one up in advance of our recent trip to Istanbul (why read a guide book when you can read a murder mystery series ), and I enjoyed that one enough that I read several more. Four for a Boy is actually a "prequel" even though its number/place in the series wouldn't seem to indicate that.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #17
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh yeah, and Poisoned Pen Press has been one of my favorite presses ever since they became the US publishers of my second favorite murder mystery series of all time - Michael Pearce's Mamur Zapt series. Sadly, when I e-mailed them about the possibility of e-book editions of this series, they said they don't have the e-rights and aren't likely (apparently) to get them. Sigh - 1dollarscan and OCR...
Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Four for a Boy is actually a "prequel" even though its number/place in the series wouldn't seem to indicate that.
I ended buying the lot and am currently reading that one. Pretty good so far, and I guess it's a "prequel" because thus far it's been telling some backstory of what looks like an early case in flashback.

I can also definitely recommend the Priscilla Royal medieval mystery from this lot. I finished that last week and it was well-written and quite enjoyable with nice historical notes and I'll have to look for more in the library/wait for further sale.

And I finished the Betty Webb one, which was also good (though not as good as the Royal). However, it might not be for everyone because of the potentially upsetting subject matter of the case.

I do hope PPP offer more direct discount sales (even if not at quite at the excellent pricing of 99 cents per and DRM-free). But it looks like the follow-up books for some of these series at Kobo are just under $5 and couponable, to boot.

So fairly decent pricing all around, at least for the better quality series books.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #19
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Is anyone else having problems checking out with Poisoned Pen Press? I spent a frustrating 30-40 minutes last night trying to buy six of their books - 5 of the $0.99 and one other. I tried two different browsers (FF and IE) and two different credit cards (one of which I used successfully a few minutes later to buy something else online from another site). I just kept getting a message saying my payment couldn't be processed. I tried again this morning, and same message.

I've sent them an e-mail, but wondering if anyone else is having this issue?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #20
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Is anyone else having problems checking out with Poisoned Pen Press? I spent a frustrating 30-40 minutes last night trying to buy six of their books - 5 of the $0.99 and one other. I tried two different browsers (FF and IE) and two different credit cards (one of which I used successfully a few minutes later to buy something else online from another site). I just kept getting a message saying my payment couldn't be processed. I tried again this morning, and same message.

I've sent them an e-mail, but wondering if anyone else is having this issue?
Their discounted books are available at Amazon, and I think that I have encountered them at Kobo, too. Just do a search at the Kobo webite of the titles you are interested in.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #21
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slex View Post
Their discounted books are available at Amazon, and I think that I have encountered them at Kobo, too. Just do a search at the Kobo webite of the titles you are interested in.
Aaaah, but I want the two-for-one format (mobi and epub) non-DRM versions offered through their own website, so Amazon or Kobo don't do it for me. (Yes, I am a fan of Apprentice Alf, but it's easier this way...)

UPDATE: I got a really quite quick e-mail back from the PRESIDENT of Poisoned Pen Press saying they had been having some problems with their checkout, thought they had fixed them, but apparently not. He's going to get back to me, and I'll update here when it's fixed.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
UPDATE: I got a really quite quick e-mail back from the PRESIDENT of Poisoned Pen Press saying they had been having some problems with their checkout, thought they had fixed them, but apparently not. He's going to get back to me, and I'll update here when it's fixed.
That's really nice of them and good to hear they have such commitment to customer service. I'm even more pleased that I bought the lot of sale books directly from their site (in addition to the supporting DRM-free multiformat thing) and would gladly buy more such direct discount offers now.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #23
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Quote:
That's really nice of them and good to hear they have such commitment to customer service. I'm even more pleased that I bought the lot of sale books directly from their site (in addition to the supporting DRM-free multiformat thing) and would gladly buy more such direct discount offers now.
Robert Rosenwald, the Poisoned Pen Press president, just got back to me from his doctor's office (!!!) to let me know that the website payment system is up and running now. I just tried it and was easily able to buy and download the six books I wanted. I already had the other promo ones, or I would have bought them to try too.

I too plan to buy more from them directly, both because of the prompt customer service (Kobo are you listening?) and because of the two format DRM-free way of selling. I mentioned both those things to Robert in my return e-mail when I confirmed that the payment system was now working.

They aren't historical mysteries, but I also really like the Steven F. Havill/Posadas County mysteries, which are (most? all?) Poisoned Pen Press e-books now. They are very definitely police procedurals and not historicals, but I find them engaging and interesting, although it may help that my dad's family is from New Mexico, so the books' settings feel very familiar to me. In that series again (if you want to try one) there is an out-of-order prequel, One Perfect Shot, which is the newest book. It's not $0.99, but is only $6.99, which is very reasonable, IMO, for a brand new book. Other than that they run pretty much in order except for Red, Green or Murder, written fairly recently, but fitting in after Bag Limit (according to SYKM).

Last edited by sufue; 01-10-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #24
ATDrake
Wizzard

Hee! They just added 13 new ones to the 99 cent introductory sale (and for now, the original 10 are still also the same price though perhaps they might be rotating them out).

I just bought the lot. I had a good 5/8 "I liked it enough I would buy future volumes on sale to try"* ratio on the ones I've read so far and the 2 others were "not really my thing, but I'd be willing to look up the rest in the library". Even the marginal 9th which I didn't think I'd like very much, based on an unpromising sample, is shaping up to be an interesting enough read (though unless the slightly annoying setup pays off spectacularly, it's another future library series).

The new batch is somewhat more tilted away from stuff I like, but hopefully I'll still get a good ratio of enjoyability out of the lot.

Otherwise, I'm pleased to support a small press with excellent customer service response which offers good books for sale at very good prices and DRM-free multiple format bundles.

If turns out there's a few genuine duds amongst my new purchases, well, they were cheap and the money went somewhere I consider worthwhile.

* If anyone's interested, I can now add a strong recommend for The Old Buzzard Had It Coming and Four For a Boy overall, and a medium recommend for Artifacts and In the Shadow of the Glacier if something in the blurb plot/setting or the writing sample appeals to you.

ETA:
Quote:
They aren't historical mysteries, but I also really like the Steven F. Havill/Posadas County mysteries, which are (most? all?) Poisoned Pen Press e-books now.
Thanks for the recommend! Happily, these are now one of the new 99 cent intro sale books. I'd have bought it anyway, but it's nice to have the reassurance that they are indeed worth reading.

Last edited by ATDrake; 02-03-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #25
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Looks pretty interesting, thanks.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #26
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Quote:
Hee! They just added 13 new ones to the 99 cent introductory sale (and for now, the original 10 are still also the same price though perhaps they might be rotating them out).
Awesome and thanks for the find! I've been buying some other books from PPP, but have been going directly to the authors' pages and so I hadn't noticed the addition of more 99 cent books to the PPP promo page. I just bought all the ones I didn't already have. At 99 cents each, even if I find only a couple of new authors I like out of the bunch, it's worth it.

Also, I just now noticed this quote on the promo page:

Quote:
Watch for our “Discover Mystery Book Club,” coming soon. Read below for our latest specials.
I'm definitely going to watch for it - I like their two-format DRM-free books, I like their customer service, and I've liked a lot of their books so far.

Last edited by sufue; 02-07-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thanks for the heads up on the sale, I just picked up a dozen books that sounded interesting to me. There are a few more I'm considering, anyone know how long the sale is supposed to go for?

I see they use the Bridgit cart/download system put out by Gere Donovan Press, it's the same setup Dana Stabenow's using for the backlist books she has the digital rights for (she does the mobi/epub DRM free combo too).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #28
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Thanks for the tip, Robin.
I'll probably pick a few....
If you're a fan of Florida mysteries of the vein of the James W. Hall "Thorn" series, I can highly recommend the Les Standiford "Done Deal" in the list. I've read most of this series from the library, and always watch for a new one!
KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #29
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There are a few more I'm considering, anyone know how long the sale is supposed to go for?
The original batch of 10 (the ones shown with the titles in italics on the sale page) have been up since at least the holidays last year. I think they're most in danger of removal so I suggest you consider them first, although if they keep selling briskly, it's possible they might stay up a bit longer. There are a few really good ones in there if you like historicals.

The new batch of 13 I think were added for February (I checked back in late Jan to see if they were going to do a new promo for the new year, and they weren't up yet) and seem likely to be good through the month.

Quote:
I'm definitely going to watch for it - I like their two-format DRM-free books, I like their customer service, and I've liked a lot of their books so far.
I think they've had that Discover Mystery Book Club coming soon blurb since the original batch were up. But I hope they do end up with something like a feature sale of the month or whatever where they add new batches of the 99 cent intros, or better yet, offer a few 99 cent start-of-series, plus a couple of the sequels for a moderately discounted price as a tie-in special. That'd give you a month to read and try and splurge if you like.

They're definitely setting themselves up as my New Favourite Non-SF/Fantasy DRM-free Publisher With Store.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #30
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Just tried to buy all of these sale books, but can't make the payment. I keep getting a message saying that my billing address doesn't match my card address. Checked with the bank and all's well their side, so now I'm waiting to hear back from Poisoned Pen. It's all too much after not being able to access Singapore library.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote