Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
IorekB
IorekB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T3S
Smile Hello, just bought my first reader (Sony PRS-T1)!

Hello everyone,
since checking out a Kindle 2 reader at a friend's about a year ago, the idea of having a try at electronic reading myself slowly grew on me. I was especially fascinated by the eInk display, which to me seemed very easy on the eyes, the low power consumption being an additional plus.

Since then, I discovered the mobileread forums and found its members to be extremely resourceful in finding answers regarding no matter what question people fired at them. So I'd like to say a big "Thank you!" to everyone posting here, I feel like there is always someone able to help out ! Reading others' discussions alone tremendously helped me to narrow down my choice of an ebook reader to a Sony device, especially the copious dictionaries swayed me (I took to reading books in English since many of my favourite authors' works were taking (too) much time to be published in my native language, german).

In December, I finally took the plunge and ordered a PRS-T1, after (successfully! ) having waited for Sony to provide a firmware fix for the freezing issues i kept reading about since release. So far, I really do love it to be able to tap a word and have an instant translation. And, of course, I quickly realized that I had to try out calibre for ebook management. Almost everything I tried up to now worked out like a breeze, an amazing tool!

I am looking forward to do lots of ebook reading and trying out new things (electronic library lending!). While I may not be able to be very active on these boards (My lovely baby daughter getting much attention... ), I am looking forward to some nice chats and discussions in the future!

So long, have a nice time!
IorekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to the boards, IorekB
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi IorekB and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a T1 for several months now and really like it
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
ljeschke
ljeschke began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
This is the first time I've visited this site - I didn't know something like this existed! I've had an older Sony reader (prs-505) for quite awhile now and I love it, however it just died yesterday - boy, was that upsetting! Anyway, I have to decide what to replace it with. I like some of the features on the Kindle touch, but is there anyway to read my "sony books" on a Kindle?
ljeschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Happy reading IorekB
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Welcome to MobileRead.

Very nice introduction!

Look around the site and have fun.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
IorekB

Thumbs up Thank you!

Hey everyone, thanks for the nice welcome!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
motu313
motu313 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by IorekB View Post
Hello everyone,
since checking out a Kindle 2 reader at a friend's about a year ago, the idea of having a try at electronic reading myself slowly grew on me. I was especially fascinated by the eInk display, which to me seemed very easy on the eyes, the low power consumption being an additional plus.

Since then, I discovered the mobileread forums and found its members to be extremely resourceful in finding answers regarding no matter what question people fired at them. So I'd like to say a big "Thank you!" to everyone posting here, I feel like there is always someone able to help out ! Reading others' discussions alone tremendously helped me to narrow down my choice of an ebook reader to a Sony device, especially the copious dictionaries swayed me (I took to reading books in English since many of my favourite authors' works were taking (too) much time to be published in my native language, german).

In December, I finally took the plunge and ordered a PRS-T1, after (successfully! ) having waited for Sony to provide a firmware fix for the freezing issues i kept reading about since release. So far, I really do love it to be able to tap a word and have an instant translation. And, of course, I quickly realized that I had to try out calibre for ebook management. Almost everything I tried up to now worked out like a breeze, an amazing tool!

I am looking forward to do lots of ebook reading and trying out new things (electronic library lending!). While I may not be able to be very active on these boards (My lovely baby daughter getting much attention... ), I am looking forward to some nice chats and discussions in the future!

So long, have a nice time!
Hi,
I'm very interested in getting a PRS-T1, too. I dont't want to feel like a puppet on a string which I probably would when using any reader of Kindle's. My concern is whether I could use it with Kindle-books bought at Amazon.
Any comments?
motu313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu313 View Post
Hi,
I'm very interested in getting a PRS-T1, too. I dont't want to feel like a puppet on a string which I probably would when using any reader of Kindle's. My concern is whether I could use it with Kindle-books bought at Amazon.
Any comments?
calibre will convert a Kindle .mobi to an epub, which can be read by the T1. However I haven't done this so I can't attest to the quality.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
IorekB

@motu313
By design, calibre only will convert free (non-DRMed) ebooks. By investigating means to circumvent DRM, you may run into legal issues (depending on legislation in your country, I guess). You may consider "rooting" the PRS-T1 instead. Thus, you can access the underlying android operating system and then install the official kindle app for android. Discussion regarding rooting takes place in the Sony Reader Dev Corner subforum. A summary can be found in the wiki. Happy reading!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
motu313
motu313 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you, IorekB,
you're right, rooting the PRS-T1 would be the only "clean" approach, doable, but still somewhat messy. I'm still not happy to be forced to install several apps for buying and reading just because the Kindle-app is not open for Non-Amazon books. This is STUPID to say the least!
Amazon is so greedy because they're not civilized enough to understand that good business is fair business.
motu313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
IorekB

I'm there with you, Motu... As a very satisfied long-time amazon customer (excellent customer service!), they might have very easily won me over as to doing my ebook purchases with them, once I decided to check out the ebook world. But I simply cannot tolerate a company's policy to try to impose their own format by sheer market dominance while there is an industry standard the remaining players have agreed upon. I am well aware of the fact that wallet-wise, I shoot myself in my own foot quite a bit by deciding to go epub/Sony. Before making the final decision between Kindle/PRS-T1/Kobo, I assembled a (not necessarily representative...) spread sheet containing ebook prices for my favorite books as listed by the major ebook stores I probably would be willing to entrust my future purchases to. On the bottom line, Amazon was cheaper by roughly 20%... But again, I couldn't accept to be tied to one single shop/proprietary ecosystem only. And I agree with you, I am not very comfortable with rooting, either. I rather prefer not to mess with my reader's default state...