Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Should I return Aura #3?

What to do? I returned the first unit, which had a flawless screen because of random glo light flickers, frequent freeze-ups and lots and lots of double page turns. I figured it was buggy and didn't trust it.

Unit #2 had a large, bottom central pin-hole in the glo layer, a total distraction. I asked for an exchange immediately. Kobo CS put me through the gauntlet, but finally granted an exchange after many delaying tactics.

Unit #3 In spite of the fact that I specifically answered on their exchange questionaire NO to getting any substitute color, they sent me a brown unit instead of my preferred IVORY.

This current unit has a flawless screen, but the screen has a very yellow/warm tinge without the light on which I'm not that fond of, I prefer a more neutral grey, like the first two units. Further, my original $50 sleepcover is black and brown doesn't look good in it.

But the screen is flawless! And I was thinking perhaps I could put up with the wrong color, even though it shows fingerprints which I hate.

But then, this unit (on firmware 2.8.1) is so far experiencing fairly frequent double page turns and sometimes triple and quadruple instant page turns. Which is so blamed annoying and very disconcerting while reading! But I'm gathering that this may not be the device but the firmware?

Part of me wants to ask for a refund (my credit card company will do a dispute if Kobo stalls, Kobo clearly botched by sending the wrong color), but another part of me is sick of having no Kobo Aura reader to actually use.

But my enjoyment is compromised by the wrong color, I really, truly loved the IVORY, I read with a small margin and the white bezel made it feel like a paper book. Plus no fingerprints showing.

However, this one, if returned, needs to go back for a refund, or I lose any protection from my CC company, since my last day to file a dispute is August 19th. And clearly, the exchange process can't be trusted to get me a reader in the color I prefer and paid for!

But ordering from the Kobo site was a nightmare last time, I never could get an order to go through correctly from my computer and finally had to use my tablet. So there's no guarantee I won't have issues again just ordering another.

Plus, I will be without an Aura for another three weeks minimum and I'm really tired of the constant aggravation of dealing with Kobo CS. No guarantees a new unit will not have further issues, screen flaws or what have you.

My thinking is that if all the Auras are experiencing these frequent double-page turns, then I might just keep this one, buy it a more compatible color cover on eBay and have done.

But if all Auras are NOT having the constant double page turns, then I hate to settle for one that does, especially one in the color I would least want!

So, what would you do in my shoes? Return or keep?
graycyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
They may be out of White ones. The Kobo Australia site doesn't have any white ones.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Frankly, I'd have long ago given up unless I could go look at one and get what I wanted and verify it was acceptable on the spot. I drove 60+ miles to buy my Glo and had it out of the box, charging on a car adapter and upgrading via my cell's hotspot in the parking lot before I went for lunch to avoid similar issues, just in case.

I'd look really hard for a local dealer, verify they had multiple units that matched what I wanted in stock, and send the wrong one back to Kobo's Canadian Clown College distribution center.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Maybe someone on MR wants to buy your perfect screen espresso aura, since many complained earlier they couldn't get espresso....

(in canada, so not offering, but who knows who might be in your area and willing to buy it?)
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
All he has to do is post it in the Flea Market Forum, if that becomes his decision.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
This current unit has a flawless screen, but the screen has a very yellow/warm tinge without the light on which I'm not that fond of, I prefer a more neutral grey, like the first two units.
The screen colour may be related to the different colour of the bezel.

If you ordered a white device and didn't agree on a colour exchange, you could ask for a white one. However, will you get a flawless screen? That's a tough one, but I bet you kind of know what you want to do in that case.
Remember you're not wrong in asking for another return. And you're not wrong in changing your expectations and keeping it if you can deal with the brown bezel.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Frankly, I'd have long ago given up unless I could go look at one and get what I wanted and verify it was acceptable on the spot. I drove 60+ miles to buy my Glo and had it out of the box, charging on a car adapter and upgrading via my cell's hotspot in the parking lot before I went for lunch to avoid similar issues, just in case.

I'd look really hard for a local dealer, verify they had multiple units that matched what I wanted in stock, and send the wrong one back to Kobo's Canadian Clown College distribution center.
Yes, well, unfortunately, I'm in the boonies in the USA, the only store that *might* stock them that is remotely close to me is a 400 mile round trip drive. I had emailed them after the first problem unit and they had no plans to stock them then, but that could have changed by now, I suppose.

But the drive, plus an overnight stay since I physically just can't do 200 miles and then turn around and do another 200 home, well, by the time you add up gas and a hotel room, it would be close to the price of just buying a second Aura.

Just not economically feasible for me, or yeah, I absolutely would try to go this route.

BUT! There is *some* good news! Last night, I did a SECOND factory reset on the current brown exchange unit and I have read approximately 130 pages since then, and NOT ONE SINGLE DOUBLE-PAGE TURN! No triple or quadruple ones either!

I'm astounded, a factory reset did nothing for the first unit that did frequent double page turns, but this time, so far, so good. I read through the last 3/4 of Treasure Island and have started another book and am close to half way through that..

So, although it is not my preferred color whatsoever, I'm thinking that "A reader in the hand is better than a reader in the bush."
Old 08-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
They may be out of White ones. The Kobo Australia site doesn't have any white ones.
Then the correct thing for Kobo CS to do would have been for CS to ask me whether I would accept the color they had in stock. Or give me a choice between brown and black. Or offer a refund. Or ask if I'm willing to wait for the correct color to be in stock.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
The screen colour may be related to the different colour of the bezel.

If you ordered a white device and didn't agree on a colour exchange, you could ask for a white one. However, will you get a flawless screen? That's a tough one, but I bet you kind of know what you want to do in that case.
Remember you're not wrong in asking for another return. And you're not wrong in changing your expectations and keeping it if you can deal with the brown bezel.
Given the factory reset seems to have helped or possibly even eliminated the double and triple page turns, I'm inclined to live with it, I think. It does bug me looking at the brown bezel, but I'm thinking if I got a more complimentary cover, that would help matters.

The other possible solution is to keep for now, but try again later for a good ivory unit, then let hubby have the brown. He doesn't mind brown and might enjoy a lighted reader.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The other possible solution is to keep for now, but try again later for a good ivory unit, then let hubby have the brown. He doesn't mind brown and might enjoy a lighted reader.
Now you've given my wife ideas about appropriating my Aura.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
graycyn
Wizard

Well, we both have Sony T1s, his black, mine white. I don't think he really wants a Kobo that bad, he likes having both button and touch, but I think he might enjoy the light more than he thinks he will. We have cats and they can be a pain with the Sony lighted covers, always nudging the light arm.

I think I'll get a more complementary case and see how it goes.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
One thing about the darker bezel over your ivory... it's often been reported on identical readers that the readers with the darker bezel just make the text on the screen appear a bit darker with more contrast.

I'd go with the different cover choice too since you have a perfect screen that you like. Although for myself, I wouldn't mind the black cover on the brown reader either, I think it would look fine, but I like darker colors.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
This current unit has a flawless screen, but the screen has a very yellow/warm tinge without the light on which I'm not that fond of, I prefer a more neutral grey, like the first two units.
Now that I think about it, the screen on my brother's Mini seems kind of yellowish too. It's quite obvious when we put his black Mini close to my white one. At one point, we were thinking that something was wrong with his unit. But to be fair, I've spend months reading on mine and I've seen his less than one hour. I will see my brother in about a week, so I'll take a closer look at his ereader then.
It looks as if white bezels would make the screen seems more grey and darker ones would give it a warmer tone, on top of the sometimes-controversial-whiter-screen feel.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Since you are happy with the screen, and happy with the page turn problem being (hopefully) gone, I would keep the espresso, and see if you can get a skin to cover the bezel. Not sure if any one has started making Aura skins, but it may be worth a check.

The shiny bezel of the Sony T series drives me nuts with their lighted covers - I put Decalgirl matte skins that match the covers on both of mine.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Since you already have an adequate ereader I would return it and start over. You don't care for the color, the yellowish tinge and the double page turns can be a bit annoying.

I don't think blemished screens are that common although I could be wrong.

Buying another cover adds to the cost of a product you are not content with and may not make you any happier.

I would return it and order another from a company that guarantees better service. In Canada I would order from Future Shop, but there must be a few reputable resellers in the States with fast free delivery and guaranteed return policies.

Better to be at least happy with the case color and the screen color to start out with.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote