Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Do international wireless fees apply to samples?

Are international Kindlers getting charged the $1.99 fee for wireless transfer of ebook samples?

I assumed they came free since I hadn't seen fees for samples mentioned anywhere. Then I noticed the "How sampling works" link under the "Send Sample Now" button (only available on Amazon's PC site, not from the Kindle). Clicking this brings up the text:

Quote:
If you are outside a wireless coverage area, or are outside the U.S. and want to avoid international fees, select "Transfer via computer" before clicking "Send sample now". You can then download the sample to a computer and transfer to your USB connected Kindle.

If you are outside the U.S., you can receive book samples wirelessly for free, but receiving books wirelessly is subject to an international fee. There is no charge for Kindle books transferred to your Kindle via USB.
This seems to contradict itself: first it mentions avoiding international fees on samples, then it says "you can receive book samples wirelessly for free", then it talks about fees on books. So are "books" the same as "book samples"?

I emailed Amazon customer service and got the reply "Yes you will be charged $1.99 for downloading the sample books outside the U.S."

I have wirelessly downloaded 10 samples over the last two days and haven't been charged the fee yet. I guess I'll find out soon enough if $20 appears on my credit card!

I'll be a little disappointed if samples do come with the fee as it'll mean I wont be able to justify using Whispernet. I can make a good case for sampling a book for free and then paying $2 extra for the convenience of buying the full book wirelessly but I don't want to be paying a 40% tariff that can be avoided if I transfer things via USB.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
Are international Kindlers getting charged the $1.99 fee for wireless transfer of ebook samples?

I assumed they came free since I hadn't seen fees for samples mentioned anywhere. Then I noticed the "How sampling works" link under the "Send Sample Now" button (only available on Amazon's PC site, not from the Kindle). Clicking this brings up the text:

This seems to contradict itself: first it mentions avoiding international fees on samples, then it says "you can receive book samples wirelessly for free", then it talks about fees on books. So are "books" the same as "book samples"?

I emailed Amazon customer service and got the reply "Yes you will be charged $1.99 for downloading the sample books outside the U.S."

I have wirelessly downloaded 10 samples over the last two days and haven't been charged the fee yet. I guess I'll find out soon enough if $20 appears on my credit card!

I'll be a little disappointed if samples do come with the fee as it'll mean I wont be able to justify using Whispernet. I can make a good case for sampling a book for free and then paying $2 extra for the convenience of buying the full book wirelessly but I don't want to be paying a 40% tariff that can be avoided if I transfer things via USB.
I've downloaded 2 US-only samples from outside the US and nothing was deducted from my gift certificate balance.
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think the first paragraph quote applies to people living in the US, and the second applies to people living outside the US.

So If your home location is in the US, downloading a sample wirelessly while you're abroad will cost $1.99

But if your home location is (say) in Australia, you won't be charged for any sample downloads while you're in Australia.

But Amazon are being rather obscure on wireless fees and downloads. I wish they'd separate out wireless download fees from book prices for international customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
berniej
Enthusiast
berniej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I guess downloading samples will not incur charges. I understand that the Kindle allows access to Wikipedia (no charge) so I think sample books will also incur no charges. I guess I'll know for sure once my Kindle arrives next week (I live in the Philippines).
berniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Samples can be downloaded for free in your home country (if you have an international Kindle - the original Kindles must use US as the home country). If outside your home country, you may incur international fees (those "residing" in the US will; others it's kind of fuzzy). You can, of course, keep changing your country (but no doubt Amazon might eventually limit this), which would affect both fees and book prices/availability. So, if you live in AU, have the K2i and download samples while in AU, you should not be charged. Nor are you charged for downloading your books in the AU, at least not separately - it's included in the price, the one time.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert