Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-04-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
Dunno
Dunno began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 2nd Ed.
Battery discharging

I have realised that my iliad discharges itself when not in use.

I always use it connected to the power through the adaptor.
When I don't use it for 2 days, when I connect the iliad again, it shows the led in red (charging), during a pair of minutes.

Is it the same for you?

I would like not to deteriorate the battery lifespan. (I always use the iliad at home)

Any advice?
Dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
That's not normal. My iLiad will have full power indicator when I turn it on several days after fully charged.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
herve
Enthusiast
herve began at the beginning.

Device: TungstenC / hopefully iLi
Irex has some recommandations about it:

First usage and battery-life

To achieve the maximum battery-life it is required that you fully charge and use the battery for about five times. Over these first five charge-cycles you will see the battery-life improve. When you leave your device uncharged for a long period of time, it may again need a number of full charge cycles to get back to its old level. To keep the battery-life at its maximum level we recommend fully using and recharging the battery at least once a month.

Source: http://www.irextechnologies.com/batteries
herve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunno View Post
I have realised that my iliad discharges itself when not in use.

When I don't use it for 2 days, when I connect the iliad again, it shows the led in red (charging), during a pair of minutes.

Is it the same for you?

I would like not to deteriorate the battery lifespan. (I always use the iliad at home)

Any advice?
Just to be clear, you're not saying that the battery meter will go way down after 2 days of non-use. If you turn it on after 2 days, the battery meter on the screen should still show that it's full. Correct?

What you're saying is that you connect the charger and wait until it fully charges. Then you let the iLiad sit unused for 2 days and connect the charger again. When you do that, the red LED comes on for a couple minutes.

I don't think that's a big deal. Batteries will normally slightly discharge over time. That doesn't really hurt anything. What deteriorates the lifespan of the battery is when you discharge it way down and then charge it all the way back up. Very minor discharge/charge cycles aren't a problem.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Any advice?
I might misread your post. If your battery lost only a little bit of power during turn-off for several days, that's normal.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Just to be clear, you're not saying that the battery meter will go way down after 2 days of non-use. If you turn it on after 2 days, the battery meter on the screen should still show that it's full. Correct?
Correct. The meter indicates it is full.

Quote:
What you're saying is that you connect the charger and wait until it fully charges. Then you let the iLiad sit unused for 2 days and connect the charger again. When you do that, the red LED comes on for a couple minutes.
Yes, I connect it and start using it (the first 2 or 3 minutes while I am reading the led is red, then it turns off)

Quote:
I don't think that's a big deal. Batteries will normally slightly discharge over time. That doesn't really hurt anything. What deteriorates the lifespan of the battery is when you discharge it way down and then charge it all the way back up. Very minor discharge/charge cycles aren't a problem.
Ok, thank you.
Anyway I think I will discharge the iliad at least 5 times, as Herve said, and then once a month in the future.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyway I think I will discharge the iliad at least 5 times, as Herve said, and then once a month in the future.
The first 5 times are just so that the battery status/charging unit can get calibrated. You'll start seeing the full battery life after those first few cycles.

After that I wouldn't necessarily discharge it once a month on purpose. In normal usage, it's best not to let it become fully discharged. Using it for a little bit and then topping off at night is better than running it all the way down on purpose. The deeper the discharge, the more it deteriorates the batteries life expectancy.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
gwpl
gwpl began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 2nd
natural "discharging"

Quote:
IMHO it's quite normal. Batteries are slowly "discharging" itself.

Another thing is after how many days "dischargement" level reaches threshold of turning on charging. In laptop batteries it's usually sth about 95%-98%.
So... when battery is older... It might reach for e.x. 96%, so after two days reaches magic "95%"... when it's new, it might last weeks.

(Given numbers and periods of time as example values just to present rule, how does it work).
gwpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Dunno

First thing: the battery was 100% full when I turned it off the last time, and it was also connected to the mains power all the time when in use.

Second: The iliad is new (no old battery)

Third: The battery has run through 5 times or even more full charge-discharge cycles so it might be calibrated already.

After 13 days in that kind of "wallet", no use at all, it has being charging during 28 minutes and 57 seconds.

Do you think this is a normal "natural" discharge or this is a faulty battery?
I promise I am not bothering you again with this question, but come on, this thing was so expensive that the least you can ask it for is to come with a decent battery (at least not faulty parts)

Thanks again.

Last edited by Dunno; 04-09-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard

What did the meter show after 13 days?

Unless it's showing that the charge level has gone way down, I don't think there's anything to worry about. I wouldn't worry much about how long the red light stays on. Take a look at the meter after it has been sitting for a long time. If it still shows it's relatively full, then you're fine.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
Dunno

I can't tell you that because I didn't turn it up. I just connected the iliad to the charger, and then I was going to turn it up to use it, but... it began charging so I waited to see how long would it take. I just didn't expect it to charge because I left the iliad 100% charged

Thanks