Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-23-2022, 07:04 PM   #1
ProgRaccoon
ProgRaccoon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 10 gen (kt4)
kindle kt4 ssh into linux

hi there, i'm pretty new around here, in fact just today i got to jailbreak my 10th gen kindle

i mainly got it cuz i wanted to make a little project but i had no luck looking around on the forum, my idea was to use kterm to ssh via wi-fi from the kindle into my linux pc so i can program/write using the e-ink display
if this works i was thinking on getting a rpi4 and make a mini... e-ink type machine(?)

but reading on the forum all i can find is using usbnetwork hack, and it looks like is more for the opposite of what i wanna do, ssh from desktop into kindle
also i tried to even read the reademefirst file and coudlnt understand much, so it scares me a little

there's any other way to do what i want?
as i said above, all i wanna do is just ssh into my desktop, nothing more fancy than that

also sorry for the long post and some errors, english is not my first language and i try to be as explanatory as i can
ProgRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:12 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
With usbnetwork installed on the kindle, ssh works both ways.

If you configured your linux pc usbnetwork IP address to 192.168.15.201
and your linux pc username is "me", then from kterm on you kindle, type:
Code:
ssh me@192.168.15.201
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2022, 08:34 PM   #3
ProgRaccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
With usbnetwork installed on the kindle, ssh works both ways.

If you configured your linux pc usbnetwork IP address to 192.168.15.201
and your linux pc username is "me", then from kterm on you kindle, type:
Code:
ssh me@192.168.15.201
great, i wasnt sure about that

but for this i need to make all the configuration i see on other posts for the kindle? or just installing usbnetwork with MRPI give me access to ssh on kterm?
Old 12-24-2022, 01:05 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgRaccoon View Post
great, i wasnt sure about that

but for this i need to make all the configuration i see on other posts for the kindle? or just installing usbnetwork with MRPI give me access to ssh on kterm?
You have not installed usbnetwork yet?

It's been years since I installed usbnetwork and I do not remember the details. Just follow the directions exactly.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:22 PM   #5
ProgRaccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You have not installed usbnetwork yet?

It's been years since I installed usbnetwork and I do not remember the details. Just follow the directions exactly.
not yet, i'm still giving a good read to the read first file and trying to make sure i understand enough
Advert
Old 12-24-2022, 07:52 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, just set it up as usual, that'll ensure you can actually get into the Kindle. The other way around will Just Work(TM) (barring authentification woes), since the full client suite is installed by USBNetwork, too.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 03:25 PM   #7
ProgRaccoon

It works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yup, just set it up as usual, that'll ensure you can actually get into the Kindle. The other way around will Just Work(TM) (barring authentification woes), since the full client suite is installed by USBNetwork, too.
welp! just installed it, and after a mini heart attack for a little confuse i did it's working just as i wanted!

i just ssh into my pc, put kterm on horizontal mode, then use

Code:
screen -S kindle
on the kindle, and

Code:
screen -x kindle
on pc

and it just mirror everything that happen on my terminal

Tags
kt4, kterm, ssh