Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
DJeremyS
DJeremyS began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Can't execute Calibre msi installer

I recently bought a new Windows 8.1 PC. I downloaded the calibre installer but my computer simply asks me what program to use to open it. It does not run the file with a double-click. So I cannot install calibre. Anybody know how to fix this?
DJeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJeremyS View Post
I recently bought a new Windows 8.1 PC. I downloaded the calibre installer but my computer simply asks me what program to use to open it. It does not run the file with a double-click. So I cannot install calibre. Anybody know how to fix this?
Calibre uses a standard MSI file (all Windows). The what to use question says, it is not a valid MSI (or your system OS is damaged and NO MSI will work)

If you went to the official site, and downloaded the windows (or Windows X64 if you have a 64bit system), it will work.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
DJeremyS

Can't execute Calibre msi installer

Thanks. Yes, I have a system file corruption that I am trying to deal with. Brand new machine, too. Aarrggh!
Old 04-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
In Win8.x you can easily reset your computer back to factory settings. If it is new, there shouldn't be anything to lose.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If the factory settings are the problem (not unknown) - either take/send the computer back to the dealer and get your money back, or create you're own install media using an ISO from MS. The latter will also eliminate any 'factory' installed bloat.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
GIYF
(google is your friend)
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-e77de2fdb346

most likely its the issue dealt with by the final reply in that link
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
DJeremyS

Oops, sorry. I should have reported back here sooner. The problem was fixed when I tried a registry fixer at: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

It wasn't just a problem of file type association. The registry itself had to be fixed somehow. That's all I know. It works fine now and I was able to install calibre.

So, all is well. Yes those were all good suggestions, but this turned out to work and wasn't much problem.

Thanks all.

Tags
install failed