Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
600x800 size preset for Google Image possible?

A few releases back there was an optional book cover download source from Google Images added. It comes with a few presets already in terms of size but was wondering if an 600x800 size could be added in some future release?

This size would perfectly fit the screen on many Kindles and personally would make Calibre complete in terms of functionality.

to Kovid and the team for their hard work on this software.

Last edited by MikeOxlittle; 06-03-2013 at 09:05 PM.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, most covers at 600x800 would have an incorrect aspect ratio. That would mean they would be stretched horizontally and depending on the cover would look odd.

What I do is go to Google Images and find the best quality cover image I can. Also, by doing it myself, I can sometimes see other cover images and decide which one I like better. for example, UK, AU, and US can all have different cover images.

Then I take the cover image and size it down to 1024 lines and have my cover XML keep the aspect ratio and it works very well. Also, the cover looks good on the iPad if I decide to use that to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Google Image search does not allow searching for fixed size images, http://www.google.com/advanced_image_search and in any case searching for a fixed size image would return very few, if any, matches.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlittle View Post
This size would perfectly fit the screen on many Kindles and personally would make Calibre complete in terms of functionality.
As Kovid states finding that exact size would be rare. There is a resize cover plugin that will resize any cover to your size of choice.

But as JSWolf points out this will result in the aspect ratio being off and if you are anal about things like that it will drive you nuts. Personally it doesn't bother me and the vast majority of the covers that I resize I can live with just fine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote