Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Kobo - NookBook is locked

I have a kobo. I bought a book through NookBooks and I managed to load it onto my kobo, by transferring the file from my C drive to my kobo through my PC.

When I try and access the book the kobo tells me it is locked.

Can someone help me?

Sean
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Barnes and Nobel uses a different flavour of Adobe DRM than Kobo. Nook books use a different DRM than ANY other ePUB readers. I understand that people use various tools and plugins to remove the DRM and all is good.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not suggesting anything, but "I love Cabbages" comes to mind.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Does anyone have a suggestion on tools to remove the DRM? I bought and paid for the book, under the misapprehension that all epub books could be read on kobo. That is one of the reasons I bought one.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And then there is Apprentice Alf and his magical zip file.
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Just a follow up on ePUB and DRM...

ePUB is a common file format for books. It does not have any kind of DRM applied, by default. Sony, Kobo, and many other sellers use an Adobe flavour of DRM for ePUB books that is based on the email address associated with the buyer's Adobe account. Apple, for it's iBooks, and Barnes and Nobel for Nook Books, have a different, and proprietary, DRM. Barnes and Noble's DRM is a version of Adobe DRM based, as far as I know, on the credit card people use when they open an account with B&N.

Publishers decide whether a book must be sold with DRM. All books sold through the Sony store have Adobe DRM applied. Kobo sells both DRM and DRM free books in ePUB format. PDF books also come in DRM and non-DRM. They, too, can be bought from Kobobooks.com.

Kobo has a DRM ePUB format called kepub. That is the scheme applied to Kobo books that one syncs to the Kobo readers via the desktop, WiFi, or one of the Kobo mobile applications. Kobo books downloaded as ePUB files have the "standard" Adobe DRM applied using the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) application, or if DRM free, can be downloaded using Calibre, or simply saved and transferred to the Kobo by means of drag and drop, copying, etc.

Kepub books can only be used on Kobo readers and mobile applications. DRMd books for iBook or Nook are restricted to their associated readers/applications. ePUB with standard ADE DRM can be read on a wide variety of readers and mobile devices, including Kobo.

You can only have one Adobe DRM ID on any reader at a time. So, for example, if you have books with standard Adobe DRM on your Kobo, associated with your email address, and your great Uncle Louie sends you an ePUB book with standard Adobe DRM associated with his email address, you will find that you have locked content on your reader. The book last added will control which books are available to you. All other Adobe DRM'd books will be locked. So, for example, you can have added 387 books through your own Adobe account, and when you add Uncle Louie's book to your reader, they will all be locked. Removing Uncle Louie's book and adding in/re-adding one of your own will fix it.

Someone else here will probably be able to clarify this. I may be muddying the waters.

Last edited by taming; 01-05-2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: more mud
Old 01-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The book last added will control which books are available to you. All other Adobe DRM'd books will be locked. So, for example, you can have added 387 books through your own Adobe account, and when you add Uncle Louie's book to your reader, they will all be locked. Removing Uncle Louie's book and adding in/re-adding one of your own will fix it.
Ohh... Is that why downloading a library book destroyed my Kobo and required a factory reset?

You'd think the library would be aware of this issue...
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Nope--library books are fine as long as you use the same ADE account you use for other ePUB files. It may have been a bad (shame, shame, shame) book.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Okay, phew. I was worried that I was going to have problems with every library book.
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
Thanks for explaining
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote