Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2023, 10:28 AM   #1
Konikoko
Konikoko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Accessing root on Kobo devices

Hi everyone,

I wanted to have root access on my Kobo Clara HD. After looking around a bit, I found out that I can do this by turning on developer mode and using telnet on my linux system. However, I wanted to switch to SSH.

I've found the following resources:

https://github.com/ewpratten/KoboSSH
https://www.yingtongli.me/blog/2018/07/30/kobo-ssh.html
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=254214

Is NiLuJe's package still the best way of doing this (last link)?

I'm also wondering how I should backup the device in case I brick it and need to rollback. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Konikoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 02:44 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konikoko View Post
I'm also wondering how I should backup the device in case I brick it and need to rollback. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Power off your Clara HD, open the case and make a backup of the µSD card before experimenting. See the Memory Upgrade Mod Guide (With Pictures) thread for instructions.

I used NiLuJe's SSH a few years back but have not tested if it works with newer firmware though since he has updated the package so it should.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-23-2023 at 04:59 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:12 PM   #3
Konikoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Power off your Clara HD, open the case and make a backup of the µSD card before experimenting. See the Memory Upgrade Mod Guide (With Pictures) thread for instructions.
Thanks for the instructions!

About the SSH, I'll probably try it if nobody else has any input and report back if it still works.
Old 10-23-2023, 08:56 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's due an update, but it's still perfectly functional (with the exception of USBNet not being available yet on the Elipsa 2E because I suck at configfs).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:32 PM   #5
Konikoko

Good to know, thanks!

Tags
back up, ssh, telnet