Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2022, 10:58 PM   #1
Shillelagh-101
Shillelagh-101 began at the beginning.

Device: K3W
Question Writing programs for Jailbroken Kindle 3?

Hello!

I've recently uncovered a K3W I had a very long time ago and replaced its battery, jailbroke it, and have it connected via. SSH over wifi.

I would like to be able to have it make simple HTTP GET requests over the network to my raspberry pi server and show the HTML page, but I'm not sure if this is possible?

I had thought the Kindle ran on Linux so I could SSH into it and write python programs for it through the console, but I'm immediately clueless as none of the normal go to linux commands work (like help or dir).

So a few questions:
1) What OS does kindle actually run on?
2) Is there some kind of help command or list of commands?
3) Where would one look to get started on writing programs for the Kindle 3?

Shillelagh
Shillelagh-101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
1) linux
2) help and dir are not linux commands. man and ls are, but there are no man pages on the kindle.
3) look around at the threads on this forum.

You can install python from one of NiLuJe's packages.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
Shillelagh-101
Shillelagh-101 began at the beginning.

Device: K3W
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
1) linux
2) help and dir are not linux commands. man and ls are, but there are no man pages on the kindle.
3) look around at the threads on this forum.

You can install python from one of NiLuJe's packages.
Ah, very nice!
Thank you. I've managed to get images on the screen and am trying out the python packages as we speak. Though taking a look at some of the packages and software others have written it looks like some have gotten C++ to work as well, which would be very nice for this application.

Thank you for the help.
Shillelagh-101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #4
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Depending on what you are looking for you might be able to download and install software from a linux repository. You would need to make sure you have the appropriate version to do so, which is based on your hardware and firmware. I did this in developing the Sox package for some models of Kindle.

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:50 AM   #5
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
sorry for hijacking this thread a bit but i have a quick question - does someone know if you can create UIs / interfaces with python on a kindle? I know that you can do it on linux and windows, but.. can i do it the same on kindle? or do i would need to use kindle specific librarys / apis the operation system is using to do this?
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:39 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
On a Kindle, you *might* be able to get some GTK stuff to work with a bit of effort (see kterm & co), as the system ships some ancient version of it.

But, generally, no, it's DIY land .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:03 AM   #7
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
On a Kindle, you *might* be able to get some GTK stuff to work with a bit of effort (see kterm & co), as the system ships some ancient version of it.

But, generally, no, it's DIY land .
okay, thought so.. thanks
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cli, k3w, ssh