Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you hoard ebooks for retirement?
Yes. I would have done (or do) so with paper books as well. 20 10.81%
Yes, but I would NOT have done so with paper books. 18 9.73%
No, not for retirement... but... uh... I hoard (e)books anyway. 113 61.08%
No, I don't hoard. Not ebooks, not paper books. 34 18.38%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #76
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
I'm hoarding ebook readers for my retirement. Is that the same thing?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #77
mva1985
Enthusiast
mva1985 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Close ;-) People do collect all sorts of things.
mva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #78
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There is a problem with hoarding for the future. A book that is by one of your favorite authors now might by the time years in the future no longer appeal. Better to read it now when you still like that author. Also some series go stale. If you save up a long series without reading it you might be buying series that have done so and you wouldn't be aware of it.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #79
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
There is a problem with hoarding for the future. A book that is by one of your favorite authors now might by the time years in the future no longer appeal. Better to read it now when you still like that author. Also some series go stale. If you save up a long series without reading it you might be buying series that have done so and you wouldn't be aware of it.
Well, you could add all the good ones you read to your "hoard". Maybe by the time you retire your cache of known good reads, well be great reread candidates. Then you might add a few that samples indicate could be as good. Then ...

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #80
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Thanks to your tip, I was able to find them on Kobo UK, and they were even couponable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are seven shown as being available on Amazon UK, if that's of any interest. Pretty cheap, too - two priced at 79p and the other five at £2.39.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #81
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
No, that's a different support thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226136

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #82
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I'd have to buy a LOT of books to outpace my reading. I don't think my backlog has ever been over a couple of dozen. And those are mostly books that I have dropped for some reason or another, or maybe found hard to read and stall on reading (Gene Wolfe comes to mind).

I've had lots of video game backlog (used to collect oldschool and Playstation-era RPGs which can take 20-80 hours to complete). I've had lots of movie and TV backlog on DVD.

But books go everywhere and I guess since I read so much, it's pretty rare that I have a whole lot more than I can read.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #83
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I've had lots of video game backlog (used to collect oldschool and Playstation-era RPGs which can take 20-80 hours to complete).
No, nooo! Stop it! Don't make me remember that backlog. It hurts!

Grrrrr... can I give negative Karma?!
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #84
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
No, nooo! Stop it! Don't make me remember that backlog. It hurts!

Grrrrr... can I give negative Karma?!
LOL I was thinking the same thing. In my case, it's all the games I grab during the Steam sales, and I was just looking at my Steam library thinking, "Crap, if I'm gonna install some of those, I need to uninstall some of these..." And then I ended up just playing Civ V some more. Because it's awesome.

But hey, playing games slows down my ebook acquisitions considerably so I guess it all balances out.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #85
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have a DVD backlog. I have a game backlog. I have a book backlog (paper and electronic). I have a backlog backlog. Oddly, I feel not the slightest shame.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:45 AM   #86
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I have a DVD backlog. I have a game backlog. I have a book backlog (paper and electronic). I have a backlog backlog. Oddly, I feel not the slightest shame.
I don't either. I'm quite content, in large part due to my entertainment collections. I've got a game / movie / book for any mood I may find myself in, plus a huge music collection as well. Getting bored is very, very bad for me so it's best that I don't run out of things to hold my attention.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Thanks to your tip, I was able to find them on Kobo UK, and they were even couponable!
You're very welcome. Happy to help .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #88
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I don't intentionally hoard books for retirement, but I won't likely finish reading everything (e-book and physical) before I retire, even with a few decades to go.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #89
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I have nothing to retire from. I just plain hoard books.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #90
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Getting bored is very, very bad for me so it's best that I don't run out of things to hold my attention.
If you get bored, let me know. I'll whack your shins with my cane. Should hold your attention. If I whack you hard enough, I might even be able to hobble away before you can get revenge.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote