Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Calling all font and code experts

I've purchased at least 50 books from Kobo and all have been perfect. I have a particular font and font size I enjoy, and all the books I have purchased to date look the same when I use these settings - until now.

I recently purchased a book from Kobo The Boy in the Suitcase, and it displays some pages that are cutoff at the top and bottom, and appears to ignore many carriage return/line feeds, and is always in bold type.

I am able to use a group of settings that allow me to read the book, but I am curious as to what would be wrong with this book. I thought the Kobo settings would over-ride the default settings in an e-book.

Especially strange is that Adobe Digital Editions displays the book correctly - why not the Kobo reader?

Attached is an example of the copyright page on ADE and Kobo. See how the Kobo doesn't get it right.

Can any of you experts comment?

ltr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptureADE.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	79743   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptureKOBO.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	79744  
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
It's not just you. I wonder if there was some kind of stylesheet foul-up in the past week or so that's causing some misrenderings of Kobo ebooks.

I'm seeing smiliar issues (though not identical) in my copy of Clockwork Prince.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Quote:
I'm seeing smiliar issues (though not identical) in my copy of Clockwork Prince.
Do the problems disappear when you open the book with ADE?

Both the PC Kobo app and the KOBO Touch ereader have the same problem with the book (it's quite a mess to attempt to read), yet ADE displays it fine. This is what has me confused.

ltr
Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Do the problems disappear when you open the book with ADE?

Both the PC Kobo app and the KOBO Touch ereader have the same problem with the book (it's quite a mess to attempt to read), yet ADE displays it fine. This is what has me confused.

ltr
a couple of questions:

- have you tried sideloading the book from ADE onto the KT instead of using the KEPUB version? (from the sounds of your post, you've only used the KEPUB version on both the KT and PC app.)

- is kobo styling on or off in your KT's settings or does it make no difference?
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
ltr
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
a couple of questions:

- have you tried sideloading the book from ADE onto the KT instead of using the KEPUB version? (from the sounds of your post, you've only used the KEPUB version on both the KT and PC app.)

- is kobo styling on or off in your KT's settings or does it make no difference?
The styling makes no difference in this case.

I haven't tried sideloading. I've never sideloaded since I have purchased all my books from the Kobo Web Site. I realize I could try that, but I'd rather stick with the standard kepub files. I am able to play with the font size/type enough with the kepub to be able to read the book (albeit a bit of a nuisance having to change fonts every time a line is cut off)....

I guess I could complain to KOBO - I don't know if they entertain that type of complaint seriously though.

Pics attached - first one shows how a page at the end of a chapter displays chopped lines.

The next two pics are a comparison between the books Title page on ADE and the Kobo desktop app . See how some carriage returns are ignored to make the text a bit wacky.

ltr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture _KOBO.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	79753   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptureADEtable.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	79754   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptureKoboTable.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	79755  
Old 12-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post

I haven't tried sideloading. I've never sideloaded since I have purchased all my books from the Kobo Web Site. I realize I could try that, but I'd rather stick with the standard kepub files.

ltr
the only reason I had mentioned sideloading was to see if the problem was KEPUB version specific, or if the problem was with the way the KT was rendering; If the problem was still there with the sideloaded book, it's a problem with the way KT is rendering, and if not, then whatever conversion process they used to convert the epub to kepub borked the book, and complaining to Kobo would be your only recourse...
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
ltr
Addict

Quote:
If the problem was still there with the sideloaded book, it's a problem with the way KT is rendering
Good point, I forgot that ADE was looking at the epub version and the Kobo device and app were using the kepub version.

That does seem to point to the kepub having some problem.

ltr
Old 12-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
BTW, what default font are you using? It's quite attractive.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote