Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Disposing of paper books

I have a number of books that I'll probably get rid of, one way or another, in the fairly near future. I'm not sure what to do with them though. The recycler in me wants to stick them in the paper bins, while the book lover wants to share them with other people. The problem with sharing them, is how to actually go about finding people who want them (when really, I'd just like to get rid of them in one lump).

How do you go about disposing of yours?
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I donated several hundred of them to Goodwill Industries last summer (they run some thrift stores here in the states with the money going towards job training and such). I could have taken them to a used book store and gotten store credit or possibly some minimal cash, but honestly there weren't any very good ones around me so I took them to Goodwill.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I'm scanning all of my p-books so, to be legal (and ethical), I have to bin mine (trash them, for those on my side of the pond). I don't know how popular thrift stores (used goods stores) or used book stores are where you are, but here, both are fairly popular. Charity stores (similiar to thrift stores) are another possibility. Libraries may be interested in taking your entire collection off your hands for the privilege of gleaning books for their collection then they could hold a sale to dispose of the remainder.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I drop them off at my local library. If they don't want them they offer them for sale a couple of times a year. Funds go to the library.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For a little bit of fun, you could take one or two every time you go out and leave them on a bench somewhere with a note that says "Free to a good home"

When I got rid of my books, I called a couple friends and they showed up to cart away everything they wanted. Everything else went to my local library.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
We have a book trading bookshelf at work. Everyone who has books to dispose of or share just drops them off there. Some are borrowed, some are adopted, and some are ignored.

If you don't have something like this at your employer, why not start one? It can be just a small, humble spot on a community desk or counter with a sign, and a few of your own books to start.

As people catch on, they'll leave books there that you might enjoy.

If that is not doable, donate them to your local library.

Recycling or throwing them out is the last resort.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
BookCrossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
For a little bit of fun, you could take one or two every time you go out and leave them on a bench somewhere with a note that says "Free to a good home"
There's a website for that! Haven't ever tried it but it seems like a kinda neat idea.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Give 'em to Oxfam. They have a central clearing house, with knoweldgeable staff, who will classify and price the books, and send them out to the shops where they are most likely to sell. If you have a reasonably large number, they'll even pick up the books from your house.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
^^
What everyone else said -- and I'm sure local schools would love any titles that might be suitable.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Nokia179
Nokia179 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I have always donated the books to the local libraries, Since I feel better donating them than they ending up in a land fill since there is no recycle program in the part of Texas that I reside at.
Nokia179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Or, if all else fails, I believe that Freecycle is worldwide and you should find someone happy to come by and pick them all up from you in person so you can be done with them:

http://www.freecycle.org/group/?noautodetect=1

I've used Freecycle on numerous occasions and things just fly right out the door.
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I usually give them to charity shops.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I gave mine to Goodwill.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
My 'local' library didn't have ANY books in English, so when I gave them several hundred books they were able to start a 'Foreign Language' section. I was in the library a few weeks ago, and noticed that this new area now has books in German, Swedish, and Spanish! Admiral Perry did a very good thing when he 'opened Japan' to the West, but it takes a combined effort to really make it international!!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I gave a batch to my library, and then I posted an ad on Craigslist "4 boxes of books free - you haul". They were gone in 3 hours.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote