Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Book Club Voting Polls
Should Poll results always be Hidden until voting ends? 14 50.00%
Should Polls alternate each month between Hidden and Viewable? 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Voting Polls: Always hidden, or alternate?

While it's clear that few want all open polls, it seems from the last vote that if we add those who wish the poll to be viewable and those who wish it to be viewable at least half the time, we have a draw between viewable and hidden.

This poll will attempt to break that tie. There are only two questions, which I think may reflect better on what members actually want:
1) Should the Book Club Polls always be Hidden?
2) Should the Book Club Polls alternate each month between Hidden and Viewable?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-23-2011 at 09:30 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
As the person who came up with the alternating idea, I'd like to say that I know, to some, it may seem a bit silly at first glance. I would agree, but sometimes things that seem silly at first turn out to be useful.

To me, since apparently a good amount preferred hidden and a good amount preferred open, it seemed a simple way to make all of the people happy some of the time, which I thought was preferable to making some of the people happy all of the time.

That said, I'm fine with either option winning and I look forward to the results.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no way alternating is a good idea. It means 1/2 the votes are a waste because the top X fastest people get to choose for the rest. Not fair at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
As always here, it's not about the devices, it's not about brands, it's not about polls, it's about reading. So let's see how many people actually will read the chosen books and participate in the discussion afterwards. If there is a significant difference that with open polls more people read and discuss than with hidden polls or the other way round then let's change it again, but I would propose to try it with alternate polls for a year and watch the effects.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
As always here, it's not about the devices, it's not about brands, it's not about polls, it's about reading. So let's see how many people actually will read the chosen books and participate in the discussion afterwards. If there is a significant difference that with open polls more people read and discuss than with hidden polls or the other way round then let's change it again, but I would propose to try it with alternate polls for a year and watch the effects.
I hadn't thought of that. There's not much action in the thead for Canticle of Leibowitz.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From a statistics point of view, this poll is unnecessary as doing the math to come to this poll makes #1 win regardless.

Adding #2 to 1/2 of #3 to get a number that's very close to #1 is wrong because you also have to be fair and add 1/2 of #3 to #1 and then #1 is the clear winner. That makes #1 22 and #2 12. How is that even close? Even if you give #4 to #2, #1 still wins.

Besides, we had a perfectly fair vote and it came out #1 was the clear winner. To then have another vote where that could be (unfairly) overturned isn't in keeping with having the poll in the first place.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-24-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From a statistics point of view, this poll is unnecessary as doing the math to come to this poll makes #1 win regardless.

Adding #2 to 1/2 of #3 to get a number that's very close to #1 is wrong because you also have to be fair and add 1/2 of #3 to #1 and then #1 is the clear winner. That makes #1 22 and #2 12. How is that even close? Even if you give #4 to #2, #1 still wins.

Besides, we had a perfectly fair vote and it came out #1 was the clear winner. To then have another vote where that could be (unfairly) overturned isn't in keeping with having the poll in the first place.
Since vote changing was allowed, who's to say that everyone who voted for always open wouldn't have switched to half'n'half? It would have been the logical thing to do.

In any case, this is just an instance of two-tier voting, where the top two options have a run-off. An entirely legitimate and FAIR method of voting. There's a faction that would like to see two-tier voting for the selection each month, too.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

We weren't doing a two-tier vote. Just because you say we did doesn't make it so.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Looking at how this poll is, going (I'm glad I got back soon enough to cast a vote) it seems like the best result may win. Then I believe the relative vote would have been about the same in a head-to-head vote between always hidden and always open. With alternating months roughly equal numbers on each side will be pleased half of the time instead of one side being accommodated all the time.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I wonder why so few people vote in this poll as compared to the other?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Cause there's no need to vote here. This poll is a sham. The numbers says so. The same numbers that says this poll is needed are also the same numbers that say otherwise. So why vote in a poll that doesn't need to be when we had a poll with a clear winner?
Old 11-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Cause there's no need to vote here. This poll is a sham. The numbers says so. The same numbers that says this poll is needed are also the same numbers that say otherwise. So why vote in a poll that doesn't need to be when we had a poll with a clear winner?
Because this poll will determine the overall outcome, regardless of how anyone feels about the other poll.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:33 AM   #13
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I think many are fed up with this discussion and finally decided that enough is enough.
And I also think many haven't noticed this second poll, possibly for the same reason: Fed up. can't bother to look...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I think many are fed up with this discussion and finally decided that enough is enough.
And I also think many haven't noticed this second poll, possibly for the same reason: Fed up. can't bother to look...
You are probably right.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Can't disagree there. I did actually vote in each of the polls, but I'm beginning to think that this book club is much more about discussing voting methodology and the validity or otherwise of monthly themes than about discussing the books themselves.

Hopefully, the suggestion that whatever sticks now is locked in for the next year actually holds true and we can go back to being a book club again.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote