Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
artsci
artsci
artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle and Kindle 2
Gauging interest in Leonardo Leather Kindle Case

I've managed to make a tentative deal with the maker of the Leonardo Leather address book that I've converted to a custom Kindle 2 case.

See this thread for more details:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43083

For this deal to work, I have to buy a minimum of 20 the address books, which currently retail for a minimum of about $125 and up to $155. Based on the prices I've been quoted I would be able to sell the Leonardo Leather Kindle 2 case for about $220 - $240 each. This price would include customization with marbleized paper lining and the hinge system used in the Amazon Kindle cover. The cases would be completely hand made.

I'm posting this message to gauge the level of interest. Please post here if you would definitely want to buy the Leonardo case at this price. If there's enough interest, I'll develop plans for making a first group of 20.

Last edited by artsci; 04-08-2009 at 08:13 PM.
artsci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Yes
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
If you are going to do this, make sure you do it right: make a website and promote that instead of using forums to guage interest. It'll take you all of an hour, and cost you $20. Get people who are interested to give you an email at the very least. Ideally get a full pre-order info and a refundable deposit using PayPal or Google Checkout. Only when you've seen how many people will actually put down money will you have a sense of what the level of interest is.

Make sure that you source the hinge, if you already haven't. They are out there - talk to other Kindle case makers like the nice folks at M-Edge. If you're still planning on buying Kindle cases and ripping them apart, you're completely off your rocker.

Third, see if there's a way you can truly make this yours. Come up with a design for the front that you will own - like the word Kindle on the front in jumbled letters or something. If you go and make a product and create the market for it, you've done the hardest part. Don't make it easy for someone else (such as Jennibick) to just take it away from you.

I encourage you to pursue what is clearly a passion, but do it wisely so that you don't end up wasting a lot of time and losing a lot of money.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Can I also suggest that you post to Kindleboards.com and the official Amazon boards? I'm sure you'll find more people!
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
artsci
artsci
artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle and Kindle 2
I appreciate the advice. I am certainly aware of these issues -- I've had a fully developed web business for about 8 years where I sell a number of original products and protecting our IP has been a priority from the start.

The issue here is whether I even want to do this -- I already manage two businesses and time is at a serious premium. I don't need another hobby.

The price point for the Leonardo cover may severely restrict the market, and from what I already know the odds of getting the price under $150 are next to nil.

Last edited by artsci; 10-02-2009 at 07:38 AM.
artsci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
JazZi
JazZi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2; Sony PRS-505
it is very nice looking, but I don't see anything to justify the price you quote. Good luck!
JazZi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
JazZi
JazZi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2; Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazZi View Post
it is very nice looking, but I don't see anything to justify the price you quote. Good luck!
I stand corrected. Shortly after posting my earlier message I read the tutorial for constructing the cover. The cost is certainly justified. In fact, I'd buy one myself. Very impressive.
JazZi is offline   Reply With Quote