Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
MrChrisL
MrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura
I got the same error as SHunter. I ended up just disabling them both.
MrChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Could you give me the error position of the "My 10 line spacing values" patch.

Don't know whether this can make a difference, but I tried it on XP and Windows 7.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #18
MrChrisL
MrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the roughMrChrisL is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Could you give me the error position of the "My 10 line spacing values" patch.

Don't know whether this can make a difference, but I tried it on XP and Windows 7.
The error position for 10 is.. 676F98.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #19
SHunter101
Connoisseur
SHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kobo AuraH2O, Glo, AuraHD, JBC2
Quote:
I tried again with both line spacing patches. And both run without error. Is it possible that something happened to your configuration file, or that you use a libnickel.so.1.0.0 that has already been modified?

Edit: Since the error is at 676F68, I wonder why GeoffR writes twice at this point:
Code:
replace_bytes = 676F68, 86 EE 1D A3 D3 E9 00 23, 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F
replace_float = 676F68, 1.0,  0.7
But this does not explain, why it is working for me, and not for you. Or did you by chance change one of these two lines? Since this would result in an error.
Hi Tshering:

Both config files I used were unmodified. The libnickel.so.1.0.0 file was also unmodified; and no lines were change. I am not sure what the problem is. Removal of both 10 and 15 line spacing code does allow the program to generate the KoboRoot.tgz file.

Shunter
SHunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #20
SHunter101
Connoisseur
SHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel is

"Strange, I removed the 15 line spacing code, and this time it worked with the 10 line spacing code."

Sorry, I was wrong. I forgot to change the no to a yes on the 10 line spacing code. I get the same error as before when the 10 line is enabled. The error position is the same as MrChrisL.

Oh, I am using Win8.1.

Shunter

Last edited by SHunter101; 04-25-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Advert
Old 04-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #21
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisL View Post
The error position for 10 is.. 676F98.
Thank, this seems to point at the problem. In both cases (10 line spacing values and 15 line spacing values), the error occurs at the first replace_float, and the other patches don't use this function. Maybe the floating point conversion differs depending on the windows version?

Edit: SHunter is using Win8.1. MrChrisL, do you also use Win8.1. Or maybe it is depending on 32/64 bit version.
Anyway, in the current version the patch tool is not up to the task.

Last edited by tshering; 04-25-2014 at 03:25 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #22
MrChrisL

Quote:
Thank, this seems to point at the problem. In both cases (10 line spacing values and 15 line spacing values), the error occurs at the first replace_float, and the other patches don't use this function. Maybe the floating point conversion differs depending on the windows version?
It worked for you on Windows 7, correct? I'm on 64-bit Windows 7, so I'm not sure :P
Old 04-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #23
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Attached is a patch32lsb windows 32-bit executable which I cross-compiled from Linux, I have tested it on Windows XP which is all I have access to at the moment, and it produces identical output to the Linux version.

Could someone test it on Windows 8? You will need to use the patch32lsb.conf instead of the kpg.conf.
Edit: Run it from the command line: patch32lsb -p <conf_file> -i <input_file> -o <output file>

Also could someone describe an easy way to create a .tgz archive on Windows?
Attached Files
File Type: zip patch32lsb-v0.6-win32.zip (44.5 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-25-2014 at 07:15 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #24
SHunter101
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Attached is a patch32lsb windows 32-bit executable which I cross-compiled from Linux, I have tested it on Windows XP which is all I have access to at the moment, and it produces identical output to the Linux version.

Could someone test it on Windows 8? You will need to use the patch32lsb.conf instead of the kpg.conf.
Edit: Run it from the command line: patch32lsb -p <conf_file> -i <input_file> -o <output file>
Hi GeoffR:

Worked fine under Windows 8.1 64bit. It generated two files, libnickel.so.1.0.0 and librmsdk.so.1.0.0, no errors and the file sizes are the same using the kpg.exe method.

Shunter
Old 04-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #25
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHunter101 View Post
It seems kpg.exe likes only the kpg.conf file. Since the goal is to 'Fix page breaks bug' and the librmsdk.conf file has only two option, then the easiest solution is to create two files: one for the default and one for the alternative (see attached files). I have tested the default file on my Kobo Glo and it seems to work. I have not tested the other. If someone could test them to verify there are no side-effects.
The files attached to your post #12 are correctly patched.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #26
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Worked fine under Windows 8.1 64bit. It generated two files, libnickel.so.1.0.0 and librmsdk.so.1.0.0, no errors and the file sizes are the same using the kpg.exe method.
That they are the same size is not much of a guide, could you check them with the comp command? (I think this the equivalent of unix's cmp command, it checks that the files are identical).
Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #27
SHunter101
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
That they are the same size is not much of a guide, could you check them with the comp command? (I think this the equivalent of unix's cmp command, it checks that the files are identical).
Done! Files are the same. See the attachment. Let me know and I can post the files if needed.

Best,
Shunter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compare.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	122102  
Old 04-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #28
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
It seems kpg.exe likes only the kpg.conf file. Since the goal is to 'Fix page breaks bug' and the librmsdk.conf file has only two option, then the easiest solution is to create two files: one for the default and one for the alternative (see attached files). I have tested the default file on my Kobo Glo and it seems to work. I have not tested the other. If someone could test them to verify there are no side-effects.

These are not detailed instruction, more of a summary of the main events. I recommend using one of the two attached files instead. Until the original programmer alters the kpg.exe to find the new librmsdk.conf file we are stuck with renaming files. Until/Unless some finds a better solution.

Shunter
Awesome thank you. Will be trying this later tonight.

EDIT: Unzipped, tossed the update onto my Kobo and bam, works like a charm.

Last edited by Danger; 04-27-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:01 AM   #29
GeoffR
Wizard

New Linux instructions

I've changed the instructions for patching from Linux. The patch32lsb_330.zip package attached to post #1 now includes a script make-patch.sh which should simplify the process, especially now that there are multiple files to patch.

In short: Download and extract the patch32lsb_330.zip package, download the firmware archive into the same directory, edit the two .patch files, and run make-patch.sh

I have included a 32-bit Linux executable in the package, if you have a 64-bit system without the 32-bit compatibility libraries installed (or you just want to compile it yourself) then simply delete the patch32lsb executable and the script will compile a fresh one automatically (assuming you have gcc installed.)

I hope this is simpler and not just confusing for those who have already become used to doing it manually!
Old 04-26-2014, 02:55 AM   #30
Loamaro
Loamaro began at the beginning.

Hi GeoffR!
I am from Russia. We have a patch Metazoa "Cyrillic keyboard", but it is not for 3.3.0. Could you make this patch or is it very difficult? In any case, thank you very much for your Kobo patcher!
Loamaro is offline   Reply With Quote