Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Romennim
Romennim began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
Best device with Calibre collections

Hello all!

I've decided to buy a new ereader because my Cybook Orizon is awfully slow (more than 10 minute to boot up) when managing hundreds of files (I have 1500 epubs in my library). I've decided to abandon my folders and use Calibre's tags, instead.
I'm not sure which ereader fits my needs, but my best guesses are the Sony PRS T2 and the Kobo (either Touch or Glo).
Calibre Guide states that Sony ereaders are the best at managing collections, while Kobos sometimes have problems unless you have collections with only a few files in them: that wouldn't be good for me, since I have very large collections.
In the country I live PRS T2 and Glo have the same price, but the latter has also the the front-lit display.
Reading a few posts in this forum I have noticed that there are members who have Kobo and use Calibre for collections and have no problems, so I'm wondering: has anyone of you had problems while managing collections with their Kobo and Calibre? Is it slow if it has a lot of files? And if you have the Sony, why would you recommend it instead of the Kobo?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Romennim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Has the guide been updated since the Glo's release? See this link about shelves for Kobo readers, lots of good info there...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184

I have a Mini and have no problems with my "collections" or as Kobo call them, my "shelves". The Glo is a faster device.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 12-12-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Romennim
Romennim began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
Thanks for your reply!
Romennim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Tech Guy
Leftcoast, USA
Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 2 XL, Basic Kindle
I don't have either of those readers, although I love Calibre for managing my collections and conversions, etc.

Do you really need to keep so many books at once on your reader? It seems like if you can access Calibre easily, then you wouldn't need to keep all your books on the device - unless you keep a lot of reference books, manuals, etc on it.

I use a 7" Android tablet and my old 2nd Gen ipod touch, and both can access my Calibre collection via local servers (actually, one server is available via the internet if my computer is on).
Tech Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have a PRS-T1 and a Kobo Mini. Both handle collections well, but the Mini has a better screen and is easier for me to read on.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
I have setup a PRS-T2 for a friend. Also the older Kindle 3. I use a Pocketbook 302 for myself.

I simply hate the Kindle collections system. The Kindle is also extremely underpowered, hence very slow, which is the real problem. With a lot of books, I find it almost unusable. I would NEVER buy one for myself.

The PRS-T2 is a lot better than the Kindle - at least the older version I have been playing with. It seems very quick. It also has a very nice cover with a built in light. It is not very configurable - much like the Kindle, I guess. Pretty basic machine. But the CPU seems very fast.

It took me hours to setup the collections in Calibre to get something workable on the PRS-T2. Calibre does not see it as a Kindle, so the Kindle plugin I use does not work. Or perhaps the plugin did not see it properly? So I kind of had to do it manually. There is a post on this forum somewhere that gives a lot of good advice on how to setup the PRS-T2. Without it, I think you would be lost. It is still very hard and time consuming, and as far as I could work out, a lot of the stuff in the 'how to' post simply did not work.

Having said all this, I was very impressed with the PRS-T2. If I see one on special somewhere, I might get myself one.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
I have setup a PRS-T2 for a friend. Also the older Kindle 3. I use a Pocketbook 302 for myself.

I simply hate the Kindle collections system. The Kindle is also extremely underpowered, hence very slow, which is the real problem. With a lot of books, I find it almost unusable. I would NEVER buy one for myself.

The PRS-T2 is a lot better than the Kindle - at least the older version I have been playing with. It seems very quick. It also has a very nice cover with a built in light. It is not very configurable - much like the Kindle, I guess. Pretty basic machine. But the CPU seems very fast.

It took me hours to setup the collections in Calibre to get something workable on the PRS-T2. Calibre does not see it as a Kindle, so the Kindle plugin I use does not work. Or perhaps the plugin did not see it properly? So I kind of had to do it manually. There is a post on this forum somewhere that gives a lot of good advice on how to setup the PRS-T2. Without it, I think you would be lost. It is still very hard and time consuming, and as far as I could work out, a lot of the stuff in the 'how to' post simply did not work.

Having said all this, I was very impressed with the PRS-T2. If I see one on special somewhere, I might get myself one.
The Kindle Paperwhite is MUCH faster than the K3.

It shouldn't take hours to set Calibre up for the T2. A few simple steps...at least for the way mine is set up. (Well I have a T1 but I believe it's basically the same device). But maybe you wanted something more complicated. I have collections made from tags, and metadata plugins that show series information below the title of each book.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #8
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
It shouldn't take hours to set Calibre up for the T2. A few simple steps...at least for the way mine is set up. (Well I have a T1 but I believe it's basically the same device). But maybe you wanted something more complicated. I have collections made from tags, and metadata plugins that show series information below the title of each book.
I was loading on some 1500 books. You try doing that with 'tags'! Totally unworkable. You end up with 10,000 collections!

I was using AuthorSort - and even that is a real pain. I really would like it to be <first letter of AuthorSort>/<AuthorSort>, and spent hours trying to do that. Gave up in the end. I also wanted to setup something that included Series in a meaningful way - gave up on that as well.

With just <AuthorSort> I think it ended up as several hundred collections.

At least it was not as painful as the Kindle (the original). You have to totally reboot after every attempt - and that takes ages!
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote